Author Topic: A day after the change-over  (Read 2988 times)

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
A day after the change-over
« on: July 26, 2012, 06:21:11 PM »
Well

It's been a day since I changed from the Vantage Vue to the Pro-2.

Got my first ISS low battery alarm after 7 hours - a new record for a Davis station in my garden ! :) Changed battery, hey - ho lets see if that comes back.

I've had a series of spurious rain fall reports, three in total last one with a rain fall rate of 523.6 mm/h.  [thunder] Funny thing all with a clear blue sky, no clouds, no rain !

Contacted my dealer (great to have somebody local), first thing he asked me, did you change the channel to #2 on the VP2 console and ISS ? To avoid spurious signals from the Vue ?

[banghead]  I had boxed up the Vue today and was moving the box around, must have been enough charge in the capacitors to send a signal through......  [banghead]

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Bummer dude!! (Re: A day after the change-over)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat fans,

[banghead]  I had boxed up the Vue today and was moving the box around, must have been enough charge in the capacitors to send a signal through......  [banghead]

Bummer dude!  Oh well, at least what appears to be a happy ending!!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Re: A day after the change-over
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 01:38:08 PM »
Hi Edouard and weather station swop shoppers everywhere.

Been getting a few strange readings, but Dr Dann at Cambridge told me it can sometimes take a day or so for the sensors to settle down, plus I've sited the ISS in a different location, Still might move it to where the Vue ISS was.

Quite a surprise between the two stations. Discounting physical size and ability to add outlying sensors of course.

Two things in particular.

The Pro-2 console has a far better port for the data logger, The logger in the Vue console was always coming loose, it was not a tight fit at all, if you opened the battery compartment, and turned the console right side up, the logger would fall out.The Pro-2 port is far more secure, so far I have not had one comms error, where as I was getting 10 -20 per day with the Vue.

I'm surprised Davis has not upgraded the software to better match the software for the Vue. An example is rain gauge calibration. With the Vue it's software driven via the console where you can adjust by up to plus/minus 25 %. The Pro-2 I see is manual adjustment of a stop under the gauge buckets. Humm.

JC

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hmm, interesting observations. (Re: A day after the change-over)
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 11:06:42 PM »
Hi JC and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

I certainly find your observations interesting in comparing the Vantage Pro-2 and the Vue. 

I just replied to a newcomer on MacWeather suggesting that they at least consider the Vantage Pro-2.  Unfortunately the cost of admission to this hobby is already much too high, but I think it is good to make sure that people think about what they are buying.  I really had no idea what I was buying when I got my Vantage Pro-2, sure am glad my ignorance led me to the right choice anyway!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]