Author Topic: Sneaky way to get a map of all WeatherCat weather?  (Read 10004 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Sneaky way to get a map of all WeatherCat weather?
« on: May 29, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

I'm all in favor off the new weather-related categories that Stu has added to the forum . . . . . except for one thing - do I really have to type in my weather conditions? - by hand . . . . 

Lazy?? me? . . . . .

Uh seriously, this reminds me of something fun that I wish we could have on this forum, but I don't know how to do it.  There is a nifty service that will create a map of your forum members.  Here is a map of the V-8 Buick members.  However, I'm greedy and would like something like a Weather Underground, AWEKAS, PWS weather, or WeatherBug map with only the weather stations powered by WeatherCat.

It is a little silly but it would be fun to be able to see the weather in all our respective corners on one map in real-time.

So the question: is this possible without getting one of these services to write new software?  Any sneaky schemers out there who have got an ideir on how to do this?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I have one other complaint about Stu's new weather categories: he forgot to include a category for requesting changes in the weather!!  [lol]  Or how about weather bartering?  I'll trade my hot drought weather for a week if you give me your wet drippy weather!!  [lol2]

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
Re: Sneaky way to get a map of all WeatherCat weather?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:56:51 AM »
I submit to this weather map,   http://www.localweather.net.nz/maps/meso/NZWN2.php which is based on Ken True of Saratoga Weather's Mesomap. I think it would be possible to have this on a world map.

The data is automatically submitted via the WL_stickertags.htx file as found in the NZWN or UKWN folder in Webtemplates in the WC download (slightly modified)

Tony

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
How does it work? (Re: map of all WeatherCat weather?)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »
Howdy Tony and WeatherCat fans,

I submit to this weather map,   http://www.localweather.net.nz/maps/meso/NZWN2.php which is based on Ken True of Saratoga Weather's Mesomap. I think it would be possible to have this on a world map.

Ah ha!!  This is precisely what I was kinda hoping for!!  [bounce]

Do you know anything about how it works? May need to ask Ken about it.  I see on his website the following map of South San Francisco Bay area weather.  He describes is as: Mesonet display provided by Weather-Display WeatherMap Live, but the link that Ken provides doesn't seem to lead to anything other than Weather-Display itself.  If this is a Weather-Display product - I suspect they wouldn't be so keen on sharing it with Stu.

The data is automatically submitted via the WL_stickertags.htx file as found in the NZWN or UKWN folder in Webtemplates in the WC download (slightly modified)

Certainly doesn't sound like much of an imposition from the user standpoint (at least for the data submission junkies.)  So the issue would be if this is some sort of freebee goodie out there or if someone owns it and wants for it.

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »
I'll try and find out more details for you as to how it is set up and run. Though I think it would probably be quicker to contact ken directly, I do know that the data for each station is picked up from the members individual web servers as opposed to the data being sent directly such as the case with AWEKAS or UW etc

I do know that WeatherCat, WeatherLink, Cumulus & WD all contribute to the NZ map, it was probably initially set up with WD in mind, but I suspect all of Ken's templates were.

Tony

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:51:17 PM »
I thought I'd jump in and explain the two maps cited in the posts above.

The one Edouard spotted on my site for South San Francisco Bay area weather is a Flash product called WeatherMap Live, and is sold by the Weather-Display folks.  Data on the map is largely from Weather-Display owners (who have their realtime / clientraw.txt data picked up a central server in the UK and thus available to all licensees of WML)  See how it all works at http://www.weather-display.com/wmlhowworks.php

I don't think that WML itself would be a way to show maps only of WeatherCat stations :(

The map that Tony referred to is a mesonet map I'd created for regional weather networks (see the history), with the first network started in 2006 and now there are (with the new network in New Zealand) 36 of these regional networks worldwide and over 1450 stations.
The mesonet map uses some custom PHP programs run on a regional network hub website to collect data from member websites, and present it on a map.  There is also a global Google Map of members of the networks.

The issue with my regional mesomap software is that it is regional, so worldwide coverage using a single map (with the rotating conditions display) would be problematic from a visual standpoint.

There is a SMF forum mod that would allow a Google map to display locations for members (I use such a mod on WXForum.net) which might better meet your need of showing WeatherCat station locations (albiet less the actual conditions from the station).

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks Ken for the info! (Re: map of all WeatherCat weather?)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi Ken and feline weather fans . . . .  [cat]

The one Edouard spotted on my site for South San Francisco Bay area weather is a Flash product called WeatherMap Live, and is sold by the Weather-Display folks.

If it requires . . . . then enough said!

The map that Tony referred to is a mesonet map I'd created for regional weather networks (see the history), with the first network started in 2006 and now there are (with the new network in New Zealand) 36 of these regional networks worldwide and over 1450 stations.

. . . . .

The issue with my regional mesomap software is that it is regional, so worldwide coverage using a single map (with the rotating conditions display) would be problematic from a visual standpoint.

;) Awe shuck Ken, we're not looking for something that's actually useful - we just want something that looks really KEWL!!  8)  [lol2]

There is a SMF forum mod that would allow a Google map to display locations for members (I use such a mod on WXForum.net) which might better meet your need of showing WeatherCat station locations (albiet less the actual conditions from the station).

Uh, being a bit more serious here.  Perhaps Stu could be "encouraged" to install the SMF forum mod just to see where we all are (should be good for business!  ;D )

Ken what is the largest region that your regional mesomap software can comfortably deal with?  Could it cope with something as large as the United Kingdom or the (bitterly divided) state of California?  I have a feeling that many WeatherCat users are clustered into a few regions, so if we were to get really greedy, perhaps we could create a few regional maps where da' Cat tends to congregate.   [cat]

Thanks for the info Ken! Looks like we should start with the SMF forum mod and see if that "scratches the itch."

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 01:19:03 AM »
Edouard,

The one Tony linked to and the network Ken set up is the same as the MWWN template Ken helped with over on the MacWeather forum last fall. As tony said, it is the same network as the templates included with WeatherCat.

I'm sure Ken can get you set up on the Southwestern Weather Network using the MWWN template we made.
http://www.midwesternweather.net/

Which will put you on the national USA map here: http://www.northamericanweather.net/

Is that what you're looking for?

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 01:19:26 PM »
I notice on the map mentioned by Steve above that if you zoom out you can see the rest of the world including me in the UK, so it does look like what might be needed.

Best wishes

Mike

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:04 PM »
Hi Mike,
There's a template for UKWN in the WeatherCat distribution if you want to give it a try (Web Templates folder).

Ken, what's the name of the SMF mod - I'll give it a try here.

Cheers,
Stu.

saratogaWX

• Strong Breeze
  • Weather website programming enthusiast
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
  • Station Details: Davis VP1 +, iMAC 21, OSX 10.6.8
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 06:13:13 PM »
Hi Stu,

It's the Google Member Map mod at http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1010

Edouard,
If you'd like to join the Southwestern Weather Network, I can help :)
Use this template
Code: [Select]
t24$,da$,STAT$TEMPERATURE:CURRENT$,STAT$HEATINDEX:CURRENT$,STAT$WINDCHILL:CURRENT$,STAT$EXTHUMIDITY:CURRENT$,STAT$DEWPOINT:CURRENT$,STAT$PRESSURE:CURRENT$,BTTEXT$,STAT$WINDSPEED:CURRENT$,WDTEXT$,STAT$RAIN:TOTAL:TODAY$,,SUNRISELOCAL$,SUNSETLOCAL$,,STAT$WINDGUST:CURRENT$,TEMPUNITS$|WINDSPEEDUNITS$|PRESSUREUNITS$|RAINUNITS$ in a file (suggest WCT_stickertags.txt) and upload to your website (as WCT_stickertags.txt) at 5 minute intervals.  This is the LWC/WCT tags file that Steve was talking about and was used with the UKWN.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis Vantage Pro Plus - FARS, Boltek-PCI/NexStorm, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteohub, WeatherSnoop, WeatherCat
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
Thanks Ken - it's now installed.

Give it a bash folks - it should appear in the menu at the top of the page labeled 'Member Map' (you need to be logged in to access it).

Cheers,
Stu.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 07:55:22 PM »
Added my pin - in the world-view (maximum zoom out) the pin appears in northern germany, the correct location can be seen only when zooming in.  :-[
But it is a very good idea to see where the other folks live!  [rockon]
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Will join in a bit (Re: map of all WeatherCat weather?)
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
Howdy Stu, Ken and WeatherCat fans,

If you'd like to join the Southwestern Weather Network, I can help :)

I'll have to do that . . . . but in a little bit.  I'm kinda busy!!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. Pin added to map!  Thanks Stu for adding this!!  [tup]