Author Topic: Vantage Vue data file via file sharing on Mac mini  (Read 1756 times)

jgd

• Calm
    • KCAPOINT14
  • Station Details: davis vantage view
Vantage Vue data file via file sharing on Mac mini
« on: December 16, 2018, 05:04:50 PM »
Hi. I?m a new member wanting to use Weathercat with my Davis weather station. I have the data from the station going to an old Mac mini (so I can leave it on all the time, not use my laptop). The OS on the Mini is too old for Weathercat so i?m thinking I could turn on file sharing on the Mini and access/use the data in Weathercat on my MacBook. Any ideas on how to make this work?  Thanks!!

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
Re: Vantage Vue data file via file sharing on Mac mini
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
What MacOS are you running on your Mini? I'm running WeatherCat 3.03 on Yosemite (10.10.5) on an old iMac.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Best do use client (Re: Vantage Vue data file via file sharing on Mac mini)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 12:53:24 AM »
Dear jgd, Grand, and WeatherCat faithful,

Since this is your first posting, let me welcome you to the WeatherCat forum!

Hi. I?m a new member wanting to use Weathercat with my Davis weather station. I have the data from the station going to an old Mac mini (so I can leave it on all the time, not use my laptop). The OS on the Mini is too old for Weathercat so i?m thinking I could turn on file sharing on the Mini and access/use the data in Weathercat on my MacBook. Any ideas on how to make this work?  Thanks!!

Unfortunately, WeatherCat expects data to be located in a particular location in your home directory.  You could try to trick it using symbolic links, but it is a problematic approach.  WeatherCat does have a Mac client that you can run on the MacBook.  It is located here:

https://trixology.com/weathercat/

Scroll to the bottom of the page and download the WeatherCat Miscellaneous Files.

The client doesn't however give you access to a lot of the WeatherCat data.  If you can run WeatherCat 3 on your mini and have an iOS device, a better choice would be WeatherCatRCP.  It is described on this page:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2751.0

Alas, it sounds like you won't be able to run WeatherCat 3 on your mini.  Is there any other ways you could run WeatherCat?

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 05:57:24 PM »
Welcome to the forum jgd.

Let us know how you sort this out.
Blick

jgd

• Calm
    • KCAPOINT14
  • Station Details: davis vantage view
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 01:34:41 AM »
Thanks to all for the ideas and information. I?m traveling and will pick this up again in the new year.