Author Topic: Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer  (Read 6518 times)

dogear

• Gentle Breeze
    • Dilligaf Ranch
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 fan aspirated, UV and Solar, Mac Mini Dedicated, OS 10.6.8
Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
Due to an issue with screen sharing between Mountain Lion and Lion I have found it necessary to migrate Weathercat to another computer. I administer the Mini (headless) running Weathercat via screen sharing and the OS is Lion. The computers that I use to administer it with are running Mountain Lion. The ultimate fix is to throw Mountain Lion on the Mini running Weathercat but it's too old, hence I need to migrate Weathercat to a newer Mini which has Mountain Lion on it already. Anyone have an idea of the best way to do this? Cheers.......JR

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
Here ya go:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Installation_And_Requirements

(scroll down to the moving WeatherCat bit).

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Stu!! (Re: Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer)
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:29 PM »
Howdy Stu, dogear, and WeatherCat fans,

Here ya go:
http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Installation_And_Requirements

Thanks Stu for writing this up in the Wiki!

I don't remember how many times I've had to explain it in the past.  This is a great use for the Wiki!!  [tup]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dogear

• Gentle Breeze
    • Dilligaf Ranch
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 fan aspirated, UV and Solar, Mac Mini Dedicated, OS 10.6.8
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:58 PM »
Great info! Cheers Stu!

AMS

• Gentle Breeze
    • Doonan WeatherLink
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus (Fan Aspirated) with Solar & UV, Wireless Envoy with WeatherLinkIP, WeatherCat (iMac 27", 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 3TB FusionDrive, 3TB TimeCapsule).
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:49:02 AM »
Just a quick and possible silly question (I'm a 25 years+ PC user with new mac).

The instructions on that link... are those in addition to doing a normal install of WC package? Or is that it... just copy and move those folders?

I'm used to windows registry and associated instal/uninstall etc etc etc.

Cheers

Adam

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 02:11:47 PM »
Hi Adam

I did a normal install of the WC package ( still had the registration email), and manually moved the files listed on the wiki. Apparently there is another way using Migration assistant if your moving a whole user, but I haven't used that I'm afraid.

i had a couple of problems, but then discovered I had put a couple of folders in the wrong position when moving  manually,     otherewise it worked like a dream.

JC

AMS

• Gentle Breeze
    • Doonan WeatherLink
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus (Fan Aspirated) with Solar & UV, Wireless Envoy with WeatherLinkIP, WeatherCat (iMac 27", 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 3TB FusionDrive, 3TB TimeCapsule).
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 08:14:43 PM »
Hmm. I was going to try the migration assistant but I read somewhere that you can't pick and choose apps to migrate. It just brings everything across..... which I don't want.

I think I might just reinstall on new mac and delete from the other one (which is also new, and only has 6 weeks data on it anyway).

Can anyone confirm if my licence key will still work/be ok if I do it this way?

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:28:05 PM »
Yes, that is what I did, the registration/licence code worked on the new installation when I did the new install on to the Mac Mini.

JC

AMS

• Gentle Breeze
    • Doonan WeatherLink
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
Cheers. Yeah that's what I've done. Just did a full new install, then a "restore from backup" with a BU I'd taken from other machine, then used other licence key, then removed WC from other machine.

Thanks for your help...

Adam.

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
    • Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
Correction to file names

I don't know if this is due to new versions ... but in the wiki it states to move
~/Library/Application Support/WeatherCatWeb
to the new computer

While doing a migration this morning, I noticed it is now called
~/Library/Application Support/WCWeb

Additionally, WC Registration Key and passwords were not migrated over for FTP and other online services - something to keep in mind when doing this

Otherwise - great write up and worked like a charm

[woohoo]

I'm now migrated from an ancient (and dying) Core Duo2 iMac to a brand spankin new i5 mac mini

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wiki corrected. (Re: Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer)
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
Dear jph and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for your observations!

• Correction to file names
  • Additionally, WC Registration Key and passwords were not migrated over

Indeed you are correct on both counts.  I have updated the Wiki entry with the corrections!

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, MacMini (i5 2.5Ghz 4GBRam 500GB HD, 4TB attached storage), other bits coming soon (UV, etc)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2014, 03:51:08 AM »
Thanks Edouard --

I ended up taking notes for all the moves, and if I get a couple minutes this week, I will throw it into a bash script that can be run at a terminal window ... if it works out well, i'll attach it to a PM for inclusion in the wiki ;)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
That would be dandy! (Re: Migrating Weathercat To Another Computer)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2014, 09:31:15 PM »

I ended up taking notes for all the moves, and if I get a couple minutes this week, I will throw it into a bash script that can be run at a terminal window ... if it works out well, i'll attach it to a PM for inclusion in the wiki ;)

Well now, that would be very nice indeed!  [bounce]

If indeed you succeed in this little project, do let us know!  [tup]

Thanks!

jhoke

• Gentle Breeze
  • this space for rent
    • EW5604
    • KPAALBRI11
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2014, 01:08:38 AM »
Hitting a couple walls ... mainly how I did it using SSH and shell commands at the cmd line.. going to strip things down, and work out the variables and their input

$oldIP
$newIP
$oldUserName
$newUserName

etc

there is probably an easier way to do this via applescript... which I really need to relearn ... hmmm project with side benefits :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Maybe another mousetrap and AppleScript. (Re: Migrating Weathercat)
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 09:12:09 PM »

Hitting a couple walls ... mainly how I did it using SSH and shell commands at the cmd line.. going to strip things down, and work out the variables and their input

Wow!  You are much more ambitious than I've ever thought about this problem.  The only scheme I had ever pondered was a script to create a compressed archive on the old machine and then a second script to put everything back once that archive was copied over.  I think there is merit in approaching the problem that way so that a user doesn't have to have both machines running.  You might have a Mac with a dying hard drive that you archive the WeatherCat files (say to USB thumb drive,) and only after you've purchased the replacement Mac would you expand everything back in their place.

there is probably an easier way to do this via applescript... which I really need to relearn ... hmmm project with side benefits :)

I don't know if it would be much easier ultimately, but if you succeed it would be much easier for other folks to use your handywork.  Also, the WeatherCat AppleScript interface is really substantial, so indeed there would many potential future projects possible if you went that route.

If you haven't taken a look at the AppleScripts I've written for WeatherCat you can get your hands on them here:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.0

They do provide a substantial extension to WeatherCat in areas like notifications and monitoring the health of your weather station setup.