Author Topic: Wind Differences  (Read 13863 times)

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Wind Differences
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:24:22 PM »
We got quite the thunderstorm squall line pass through this morning. I was curious why WXCat shows the peak wind of 54 mph (I believe it - lot$ of fence damage) versus the iOS app that shows a max wind of 18 (I don't believe it)? Thanks,

dfw
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »
No ideas?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Polling issue? (Re: Wind Differences)
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 09:23:37 PM »
Dear dfw and WeatherCat fans of iOS devices,

We got quite the thunderstorm squall line pass through this morning. I was curious why WXCat shows the peak wind of 54 mph (I believe it - lot$ of fence damage) versus the iOS app that shows a max wind of 18 (I don't believe it)? Thanks,

I certainly don't know for sure, but it might have something to do with how and what WeatherCat communicates to its clients.  If WeatherCat only provides current conditions and does so at a leisurely rate, it simply might not have sent the 54 mph gust, but only wind speeds before and after.

Stu would know for sure.

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Re: Wind Differences
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 01:42:57 PM »
The data read by a client includes the current data, the windrose data and the daily highs and lows, so it should be there.

If you get a chance compare it to the desktop client.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
iOS vs Desktop Server
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:17:55 AM »
Desktop Client matches the WC Program today: Max 19

However, the iOS app says the max today is: 11.0

Thanks.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:42:02 PM »
I am seeing this too. Today the wind speed max on the iOS client is lower (by about half) than that of WC. WC and the desktop client match. Is the iOS Wind Speed Max, reporting the maximum wind gust or the maximum 10-minute average wind speed?
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:02:59 PM »
I am seeing this too. Today the wind speed max on the iOS client is lower (by about half) than that of WC. WC and the desktop client match. Is the iOS Wind Speed Max, reporting the maximum wind gust or the maximum 10-minute average wind speed?

Me, too.
I am afraid it is the max 10-min av speed. Maybe GrandPoohbah has only to change the tag for this value?
Reinhard

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Bump
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 09:37:30 PM »
Grand Pooh?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Time for a PM? (Re: Bump)
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 11:01:28 PM »
Grand Pooh?

Perhaps there is something out of whack with Grand's subscription to this thread.  Try sending him a PM, that should work.

Cheers, Edoaurd

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 11:25:18 PM »
He's the Mod . . .

But PM sent.

Thanks.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 11:53:54 PM »

Me, too.
I am afraid it is the max 10-min av speed. Maybe GrandPoohbah has only to change the tag for this value?

I'm on it! I just don't know yet what I'm on....

The iOS client has:
            theMeasuredMax = [NSNumber numberWithFloat:self.theMinMax.max_windspeed];
and I gather that you want it to be:
            theMeasuredMax = [NSNumber numberWithFloat:self.theMinMax.max_windgust];

Is this like a mandate or something?

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 12:02:17 AM »
Grand:

Ha ha. No mandate from me. Just an opinion. When I think about maximum wind, the maximum gust is more meaningful to me than the maximum speed (which refers to sustained wind). Where I live, big gusts bring down trees.

Hope you'll give it some thought.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Fence
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
Agreed.

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 09:43:07 AM »
Hi Grand,

I agree with Blicj11 - me too I would rather see the max Windgust. In my opinion it is the fastest wind recorded on a certain day.

Thanks for thinking it over, and thanks for the App anyway!

Cheers,
Reinhard

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 07:32:42 PM »
The Grand Poohbah can't just replace wind speed with wind gust. He has to add wind gust as a new indicator. "Why", he asks himself, "can't I just do the simple thing?" One small step for WeatherCat, one giant step for an update.

The current "Wind speed" is the WeatherCat "windspeed_instantaneous" and the visual bar scale has a fixed maximum value of 50 kph (31 mph). If the maximum scale value is exceeded, the bar fills completely but, if you tap it, the "Max" will report the actual value.

A "Wind gust" is the WeatherCat "windgust_15mins". What should be the fixed maximum value for this? Same as the wind speed (50 kph)?

I'm inclined to leave them both at 50 kph so that they have the same visual scale. In those cases when a wind gust does exceed 50 kph, you'd see it immediately and say "Holy moly, that musta been some wind gust!" and tap the scale to see the actual maximum.

Dare I ask for your thoughts on this?