Author Topic: The end of iPhoto  (Read 8111 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
The end of iPhoto
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
You are probably already aware that Apple is pulling the plug on iPhoto. If you take your cameras seriously you probably use some other software but if you are using iPhoto, it is being replaced this Spring with Photos, which will be similar to the iOS Photos app. Here is a short article about culling your iPhoto library in anticipation of the change.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2880481/how-to-prepare-your-iphoto-library-for-photos-for-os-x.html
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
If it ain't broken . . . . . (Re: The end of iPhoto)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:15:17 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Thanks for the heads-up on Photo.  I read the reviews and didn't like what I saw.  There is a reason I use my Mac to manage my photos and I see no reason why Apple should abandon more serious amateur photographers to humor the "point (barely) and shoot (just about anything) crowd".  I guess Apple is going where the money is and more serious folks need to spend the money to go with Adobe or some other product for folks really interested in taking good pictures.

I would be interested in what other WeatherCatters are using to manage their digital photos.  I try to avoid doing photo retouching, but I would be interested in a solution that was smart enough to keep versions so that you kept the original photo as taken by the camera and could create retouching that were independent.

Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: If it ain't broken . . . . . (Re: The end of iPhoto)
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 11:29:06 PM »
I would be interested in what other WeatherCatters are using to manage their digital photos.

No joy there either. Aperture has long been an OS X favourite, but Apple is also killing it at the same time. Apple says the new Photos app will contain non-destructive photo editing and other tools that are in Aperture.

In response, Adobe says its similar product, Lightroom, is not going away. Adobe's response has been to promise to increase investment in Lightroom development. "We are committed to helping interested iPhoto and Aperture customers migrate to our rich solution across desktop, device and web workflows," Adobe said.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: The end of iPhoto
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 03:57:50 AM »
I also use Aperture, and will continue to do so as long as it still functions on the latest OS.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
Me too. I use both Aperture and iPhoto and I don't relish the chore of going through the libraries and culling dead images. However, it needs to be done. It's getting out of hand.  [goofy]
Herb

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:47:22 PM »
Of concern to me is that the new app is Internet based, i.e. they expect you to pay for iCloud storage  to hold all your photos. I imagine we all have more photos on our hard drive than the paltry free 5 gigs Apple provides for iCloud users.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 06:36:18 AM »
Oh. Internet based. Then, I'm out. Not enough bandwidth this century for me to start filing all my photos on some server. I guess that's all about sharing the same library across all devices. Not a concern for me. All I need is HD storage and I'm good.
Herb

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 10:17:13 AM »
Oh. Internet based. Then, I'm out. Not enough bandwidth this century for me to start filing all my photos on some server. I guess that's all about sharing the same library across all devices. Not a concern for me. All I need is HD storage and I'm good.

You have the same thoughts as I have. I want to have MY photos stored on MY harddisk, nowhere else.
 :'(

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:07 PM »
Hi WC Gang
 I will just have to but another 3 TB HD to store mine on
I don't use iCloud either just another way of some one hacking in to your information
Why would you want to store your private info on someone else server free or not

cheers  [cheers1]

PS It may get to the place that I just won't up grade my computer to a new operating system and use what I have that works!

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 03:32:25 PM »
My hope is that I am able to store photos on my Mac, and iCloud storage is only an 'Option'.
https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
MacWorld info on Photo. (Re: The end of iPhoto)
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:37 PM »
Dear LesCimes, Herb, Reinhard, Randall, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

Of concern to me is that the new app is Internet based, i.e. they expect you to pay for iCloud storage  to hold all your photos. I imagine we all have more photos on our hard drive than the paltry free 5 gigs Apple provides for iCloud users.

I just double-checked and Photos does not require you to store your images in iCloud.  Read this review of Photos for more details:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2880099/first-look-photos-for-os-x.html

This article on questions about Photo is even more interesting at least to me:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2880207/your-photos-for-os-x-questions-answered.html

At the end they make two recommendations for alternatives to Aperture.  Anyone who wants a really competent program to manage their photos probably should be considering the alternatives.  As soon as I can scare up a little time - I'll be doing that.

Cheers, Edouard 

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:09:33 AM »
I looked at the article lined above from Chris Breen (MacWorld). Very helpful, and yes iCloud storage of photos is optional.

When Photos was first announced a number of people fell into a panic. ?Apple can?t force me to keep my images in the cloud!? they cried. And they?re correct. Apple can?t force you to keep your images in the cloud, nor will it attempt to. Using iCloud storage is entirely optional. If you want to only store your images locally and not have them beamed into the cloud, you can. All you need do is ensure that the iCloud Photo Library option is unchecked in the iCloud preference within Photos. Or, if you want your images both in the cloud and on your Mac, enable the Download Original To This Mac option, also within Photos? iCloud preference.

That is good news. Thanks for the links Edouard!

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »
Read the preview description on Apple's site. I don't get it. Are they moving videos away from iTunes, or will both programs be keeping me confused by their duplicated efforts?  [goofy]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:20:01 AM »
Thanks for the links Eduoard. Very helpful insight into Photos.

Herb: I haven't read anything about iTunes going away. So keep taking anti-confusion pills; we'll need 'em.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Some alternatives to consider (Re: The end of iPhoto)
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 11:27:26 PM »
Dear LesCimes, Herb, Blick, and WeatherCat shutterbugs,

I put a few minutes into looking up alternatives to iPhoto and Aperture.  This wikipedia article on Adobe Lightroom is interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom

There is no doubt that Lightroom is a safe choice, but I really don't like the way Adobe does business.

The Mac World questions answered article mentions Capture One Pro:

http://www.phaseone.com/Imaging-Software/Capture-One.aspx

It is very expensive, but does seem really intended to give a professional photographer a good set of tools.

If you want to get something for less money ACD Systems sells a number of photo management packages from simple managers to products that also seem close to professional grade:

http://www.acdsee.com/

They do appear to have some sort of option to import photos from iPhoto but I had to search around and I wasn't able to confirm it at the 100% level.

Anyway, some food for thought.

Cheers, Edouard