Author Topic: Annual ISS Maintenance  (Read 2004 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Annual ISS Maintenance
« on: September 30, 2017, 03:55:04 AM »
Last month I performed the annual maintenance on my ISS. I cleaned out the debris, used some Rain-X on the collector cup, etc. Last weekend we had an early snowstorm that dropped 15 inches over three days. I turned on my collector cup heater to melt the snow but not a drop registered on the console. Today I had a chance to take a look. A single leaf was sitting in the bottom of the cup, with its stem poking through the hole in the bottom. Perfect deflection shield for the melted snow to bypass the tipping bucket. Easy fix. I figured as long as I was there, I would replace the 3 volt battery. It was still giving me 3.2 v but has been in use for almost 15 months and I decided I really didn't want to replace it during a blizzard.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Checklist on Wiki (Re: Annual ISS Maintenance)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:25:06 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Thanks for the reminder.  I normally service my station early in October.  For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere it is definitely time to get this done.  Just in case anyone has forgotten, we have a checklist on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=Station_Maintenance

Cheers, Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Annual ISS Maintenance
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 09:12:23 AM »
Me too,
thanks for the reminder. And thanks for reminding the to-do-list in the Wiki!
Cheers,
Reinhard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
I do my annual maintenance when the Autumnal Equinox arrives. Except I haven't yet...   [cat]
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
I generally do it in the spring. when I change the battery in the FARS.  However, I do check the rain cone for crap as well as where wires come into the iSS.  Also replace batteries in the fall.  I don't want to be trotting out to the station in bad Iowa weather in winter.

I do need to move my soil moisture station back a few feet, that will involve drilling all new  holes for the moisture and temperature sensors, through pvc pipe and hooking it up to the transmitter.   The sensors need replacing, one is even not reporting.   I have on order new sensors from Scaled Instruments.   Funny for some reason, these nasty little beatles  craw into the moisture transmitter and hide behind the circuit board.    Bleah....

this week it is supposed to rain so it might be next week before I can do anything.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary