Author Topic: Question about how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat  (Read 14553 times)

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: Question about how you backup your Mac running WeatherCat
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 02:01:16 AM »
I just use the NetGear as a router (as WiFi goes, netgear, d-link and linksys have all shown themselves to be short-lived as WiFi points.).  It is connected to the web via Ethernet and connected to the (2nd) Time capsule via Ethernet.  The (2nd) Time capsule serves the household and the Mac Mini.  Only the Mac drops out.  2-3 times a day, at least.

Web ->Ethernet-> NetGear ->Ethernet-> (2nd) Time capsule ->WiFi-> Mac and everything else.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 03:40:08 AM »
Web ->Ethernet-> NetGear ->Ethernet-> (2nd) Time capsule ->WiFi-> Mac and everything else.
And exactly where is the Airport in that chain? And how is it connected upstream?

The Airport never had a great antenna setup, IMHO. Of course, even Apple "products" wear out. How old is the Airport?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 11:22:20 AM »
Mac Mini 2011 built in Airport

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Mac Mini 2011 built in Airport
OK, a slight semantic issue. Thanks to Apple, the "Airport" I am referring to is the hardware/WIFI router that Apple sells, not the WIFI capabilities that is in their computers. The built-in hardware is better referred to simply as WIFI (or wifi), it's pretty generic, not much different than in any other computer. In earlier hardware, it actually was a separate plug-in card, thus it picked up the "Airport" name; just marketing, IMHO.

So, the only Wifi modem/router is the one from Netgear and it is wired directly to your cable (or satellite/DSL) modem. Since you probably don't have another wifi router sitting around it will be fairly hard to determine the exact cause of the drop outs.

Wifi is not the most stable of communications protocols, being affected by radio interference from everything from microwave ovens to black helicopters flying by! :o Pity the owner of a plaster walled home; all that metal mesh makes a good Faraday cage! [banghead]

I don't suppose there is another Ethernet out from the Netgear or the Time Capsule that could connect the Mac? On the other hand, even Ethernet switches are inexpensive and they can provide at least 4 or 5 outputs for the smallest ones. Wires are still faster than wifi (unless you have the latest) and don't have the radio interference problems. Of course, it's sometimes hard to find an invisible path for the wire from one room to another.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system