Author Topic: A squirrel or bird swapped my debris screen with half a white bread/biscuit...  (Read 5816 times)

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
A squirrel or bird swapped my Davis debris screen with half a white bread/biscuit... I.E. Maintenance reminder for all. :)

Got back from the Labor Day Holiday and discovered that my Davis debris screen had been swapped out for a piece of bread/biscuit!

This is not the first time.  It happened several years ago during the cold winter.  At the time, I decided that the animal was using my Davis Cone heater to warm up its meals (that time was a dinner roll)....

I ordered the replacement screen tonight.

Remember to check your weather station periodically for debris :)

Enjoy!
NoWait

http://nowaitweather.com     

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Well at least they made a trade! Most of the time they simply act like thieves! :o

Maybe you should train the animal to go on a gluten free diet! [banghead] Or you could make a hardware 'cloth' (half inch 'weave') cover for the gauge? [tup]

BTW, does your rain gauge have the anti-bird spikes?

We had a similar problem with raccoons many years ago. We have some powered attic/roof vents that have some poly-screen material to keep out bugs. Didn't bother the raccoons at all, the screening is very flexible and just got pushed aside. I ended up making hardware cloth covers on the inside, under the opening in the roof. I wasn't sure they raccoons had "left the building"! We never smelled any indication that they were still inside. I can only assume they were out visiting friends when I 'locked' their entrance. ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Bummer! (Re: A squirrel or bird swapped my debris screen)
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »
Dear nowait, X-Air, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

A squirrel or bird swapped my Davis debris screen with half a white bread/biscuit... I.E. Maintenance reminder for all. :)

. . . .

Remember to check your weather station periodically for debris :)

Bummer dude!  >:(  I'm also fighting critter a lot these days.  The food supply is short this year and especially turkeys are being annoying.

Oh well, you can buy a replacement debris screen.  Here is one outfit that has them Scaled Instruments.  They have the old design:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7342-031-debris-screen-for-rain-collector-cone/

They also carry the newer model:

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/product/davis-7345-530-pro2-bird-spikedebris-screen-kit/

Oddly enough both are on sale at the moment.

During the long dry California summers I keep a cap on my rain gauge.  Here is a thread describing how I made it:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2468.msg23988#msg23988

If you have a long dry spell the cap keeps the critters and plant debris out of your rain gauge.

Cheers, Edouard

nowait

• Strong Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Wireless (Heated) on a Snow Leopard Mac Mini
I already ordered one from scaled. :)
Thanks,
Nowait

Here's the picture (attached).

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Thanks,
Nowait

Well so much for those spikey things keeping critters at bay.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Thanks,
Nowait

Here's the picture (attached). [image of rain gauge sitting on grass]

Well, there's your problem!!! You should put that thing on at least a six foot pole!  cmu:-) Might not hurt to grease the outside of the 'tube', also! :o

It could be an optical illusion, but those spikes seem to have small 'caps' or 'balls' on them. Mine are rather sharp although not actually pointed... Perhaps the squirrels put something on the points to protect their tender parts? ???

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
That's quite a trick! (Re: Swapped my debris screen with bread/biscuit...)
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »
Dear nowait, Weatheraardvark, X-Air, and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Congrats!  Ryan won't let you down!  :)

Hmm, I don't have one of the newer collector cones with the spikes.  I wonder how any creature could reach down to grab the collector cone with that sort of an obstacle?  Unless you have a monkey around, most creatures don't have limbs long enough to slide to past the spikes and reach the debris screen.

Very curious . . . . .  ???

Cheers, Edouard

nowait

• Strong Breeze
Yeah.  I upgraded to the metal spike model several years ago.  I had originally crafted a ring of zip ties and then used zip ties vertically as spikes. Kind of like a headband.   The sun eventually toasted the zip ties and I bought the upgraded model with metal spikes.

What can you do! :)

NoWait

oamaru

• Calm
  • Station Details: TESA clone WH1080
I hope the biscuit was edible and tasty!  I am fortunate to live in an area where annoying creatures are absent.  However, in mountainous parts not more than an hour away, there are big mountain parrots called "Keas", who are totally destructive.  They regularly strip cars of their wiper blades, door seals, not to mention puling the lead heads off roofing nails and rifling through insecure garbage cans.  Their beaks are are like can openers. 
Here is a link to see one: http://farm1.staticflickr.com/187/367689478_483c825ae1_z.jpg or even better is this one:
http://www.hickerphoto.com/images/1024/nestor-notabilis_15995.jpg 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Where in the world are you? (Was: A squirrel or bird . . . )
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 12:17:34 AM »
Dear oamaru and WeatherCat station owners who must battle against wild critters,

I hope the biscuit was edible and tasty!  I am fortunate to live in an area where annoying creatures are absent.  However, in mountainous parts not more than an hour away, there are big mountain parrots called "Keas", who are totally destructive. 

Yes that does sound like a quite a monster!  Precisely where in the world are you located?  Parrots are found in many places and I'm curious to know where these beasts are located!

In Northern California the worse pest these days are the wild turkeys, but fortunately they don't damage weather stations.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Welcome to the WeatherCat forum oamaru, but please leave your keas at the door.
Blick

nowait

• Strong Breeze
Doing my periodic check for debris in my Davis weather station and it seems that my squirrel friend has upgraded from biscuits to pumpkins...  I can't wait to see what might be next,,,,
See attached picture.

no wait

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
With friends like that . . . . .(Re: A squirrel or bird swapped ... )
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 12:21:39 AM »
Dear NoWait and WeatherCat station caregivers,

Doing my periodic check for debris in my Davis weather station and it seems that my squirrel friend has upgraded from biscuits to pumpkins...  I can't wait to see what might be next,,,,

;) . . . . With friends like that - you don't need any enemies!!  [banghead]

Seriously, how do you think the critters are getting assess to your collector cone?  Could it be that they are active in some location above the collector cone and accidentally dropping things into it?

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
Please tell us that the ISS (minus the temp sensors) is not actually on the ground. :o I assume you placed it there for the picture after you had removed the bottom temp parts for maintenance. [coffee]

I bought a 'squirrel-proof' bird feeder a couple of years ago (you can see it in my web cam images). But it was only successful after I installed a plastic 'umbrella' just above the perch. The feeder is high enough that squirrels can't jump onto it from the ground. Those that climb down from the large crepe myrtle slide right off the 'umbrella'. But a cone-shaped 'umbrella' can also act like a 'rat guard' or barrier that are used on a moored ship's hawsers.

I don't have any kind of barrier on my (wooden) ISS post, fortunately, none of the squirrels around here seem to be interested in weather instruments! [lol]

nowait

• Strong Breeze
My Davis is mounted to the galvanized pole which is attached to 7-8ft post with a metal squirrel guard in a 8ft tall closed picket fencing and gates.

I will probably hook up my rain collector heater this weekend.  This will melt the snow at temperatures less than 37 degrees (thermostatically controlled).  This will likely keep the squirrel's breakfast warm... :)

nowait