Author Topic: Great (NOT!) changes in Safari 10  (Read 2230 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Great (NOT!) changes in Safari 10
« on: September 21, 2016, 07:06:47 PM »
No way am I using Sierra yet, but who would have thought just updating Safari would be so bad?! Opened it this morning and thought my eyes were going bad! All the text was so tiny I thought the update must have screwed with my minimum font size settings. Not so fast JetJock! There is now NO MINIMUM font SETTING! The only partially usable 'solution' now is to use the new "Zoom" settings. Unfortunately, that does not always change the size of all fonts on a page. [banghead]

Progress that affects only parts of a problem is not progress. That kind of 'progress' simply creates more problems. >:(
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat ponderers of Apple Acquisitions . . .

No way am I using Sierra yet, but who would have thought just updating Safari would be so bad?! Opened it this morning and thought my eyes were going bad! All the text was so tiny I thought the update must have screwed with my minimum font size settings.

Actually your font settings haven't changed.  Instead everything seems smaller because Apple is so much faster after its efforts to acquire McLaren Technology Group:  [rolleyes2]

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/523422ba-7ffd-11e6-8e50-8ec15fb462f4.html?siteedition=intl#axzz4Kvi5bOpX

That's what you see in your rear view mirror when you drive a super-car! . . . .

Has anybody reminded da' feller's in Cupertino that the company's first core business was making - computers?

Oh well, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Great (NOT!) changes in Safari 10
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 11:30:34 PM »
A "computer"?! Isn't that what they put in their iDevices? Surely you're not talking about those giant boxes that need a whole desk to sit on! They dropped that name for a very explicit reason; avoid the declining computer buying market.

As far as I know, Apple's only continuous "core business" is selling things to the under thirty crowd! Although I'll admit I was already closer 35 than 25... Those folks all have better vision and faster thumbs, also. [tup]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 09:14:58 PM »
BTW, there is a 'defaults write' command that seems to fix Safari in El Capitan.

Replace the "X" with whatever minimum font size you want. You'll also probably have to Quit Safari and then open it again for the changes to take effect.
Code: [Select]
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int X

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 12:09:15 AM »
I have to use Firefox at times, and it is a memory/resource hog.   Safari is a nice distant cousin that isn't that greedy.  The sad part is that no one on the Safari team has really made a huge improvement to make it more like its competitors.   

Having only 8gigs one has to budget resources,  and in my next computer whenever that happens, a lot of ram and disk.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary