Author Topic: Ability to track Snow Depth  (Read 7028 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Ability to track Snow Depth
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
Another example, I feeded December 2017 in Meteotemplate with manual readings:
Reinhard

monymony

• Strong Breeze
  • CoCoRaHS - MD-CC-16
    • EW3643
    • KMDELKTO10
    • Cecil County Maryland Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2017, 01:25:21 PM »
Just to clarify, this would be exactly the same as daily snowfall, but for the current depth of snow?

Yes, this would be the same as the daily snow.

For why, daily history, consecutive days with snow on ground, maximum snow depth for season all quickly come to mind. If I did not just wake up I?m sure I could think of many more.  :)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 12:16:09 AM »
What data could be derived/calculated from this data - currently the daily snow capture allows the calculation of accumulated snow over a period of time - for example weekly, monthly or annual. What could be done with snow depth - average over a period of time? - i.e. average snow depth in December...

CoCoRaHs and other organizations want NEW snow depth, and TOTAL depth of snow on the ground. So if I had 8" on the ground yesterday, and it snowed 4" today, I would measure and find the total depth, which would be something equal to or less than 12". NWS wants two measurements a day, 12 hours apart. Even on a day without NEW snow, the measurement usually change due to melting or compacting.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
Yep, as Steve said. See attached screenshot from the CoCoRaHS training materials.

SWE = Snow Water Equivalent (the amount of water content in a snowfall)

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback folks - added to the list  [tup]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 12:27:07 PM »
Just working on the 3.1 plan - I've added this one there, but it may still move out (draft plan).

Cheers,
Stu.

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 05:52:09 PM »
If you have the ability to DIY electronics, then there are plenty of threads on the wx forum about hacking laser (and ultrasonic) "tape" measures into snow depth measuring devices. They provide an automated method that is easier on the pocket - if not the brain.

Perhaps an Arduino connected to a downward-pointing ultrasonic sensor would work. A software library (free) converts the pulse return time to a fairly accurate distance measurement. The two devices together will cost between 10 and 20 USD.