Author Topic: Wildfires  (Read 1365 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Wildfires
« on: August 15, 2018, 04:06:50 PM »
Interesting graphic about carbon monoxide from the California fires spreading eastward. Much of the western U.S. is ablaze, including all around where I live.

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=7214
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Wildfires
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
Interesting that there seems to be a lot of CO in the Pacific, due south of the west coast. It may be the result of extremely sensitive readings. Or a lot of large shipping traffic? Certainly not from forest fires... unless that floating mass of plastic trash is ablaze! [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for sharing (Re: Wildfires)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:59 PM »
Dear Blick, X-Air and WeatherCat observers of planet Earth,

Interesting graphic about carbon monoxide from the California fires spreading eastward. Much of the western U.S. is ablaze, including all around where I live.

Indeed a very interesting graphical presentation of satellite data.  Thanks for sharing!  [tup]

Interesting that there seems to be a lot of CO in the Pacific, due south of the west coast. It may be the result of extremely sensitive readings. Or a lot of large shipping traffic?

Unlikely to be a sensor error or anything to do with shipping.  Modern ships are extremely fuel efficient because that is the key to their profitability.  If I had to float a guess - could be coal burning in China?  As far as I know, the vast majority of power produced in China continues to be from coal. 

Does anybody have the time to look into this?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]