Author Topic: anniversary 1st  (Read 2526 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
anniversary 1st
« on: October 05, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
rip

Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
*Sigh*, no reason for Steve to rest easy . . . (Re: anniversary 1st)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 09:51:05 PM »
Hi Reinhard and WeatherCat Mac fans,

*Sniff*, I don't get the feeling Apple has ever had an easy time even with all their successes - but don't think Apple has been able to innovate with the quality we expect of them with the same success since the death of Steve Jobs.

I'm very unhappy with the overall direction that computing is going.  The human experience of being connected electronically is increasingly superficial, fragmented, and impulsive.   Apple is now a leader in what I see as the wrong paradigm for people to connect electronically.  In contrast everyone, including Apple, isn't investing as much in traditional environments like the Mac where serious work or play can be done efficiently.  Apple finds itself on that slippery slope that could conceivably cut its own throat.  Not a happy place to be.  :(

Cheers, Edouard

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Re: anniversary 1st
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 05:01:29 PM »
No arguments there Edouard. I too have not been impressed with Apple's direction. Seems to be pandering to the "Social" market so much more than the serious one, but then again aren't all the manufacturers doing the same? I had hoped that Apple might have bucked the trend and kept with those who wanted to use their computer for more than plastering their daily activities on an electronic wall for all to see. Those of us who have had our identity ripped off recognise what a really silly thing that is. Still they are riding on a wave which has made them the world's richest company so I suppose they and their shareholders are so happy about it. It has been exciting but there is no real innovation left, least of all for the serious computer users. Perhaps there is nothing to be really innovative about left to do for those who use Photoshop, or office programs etc.

Best wishes

Mike

PS Or maybe, just maybe, its because Steve Jobs is no longer here

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A troubling coincidence (Re: anniversary 1st)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
Howdy Mike and WeatherCat fans,

PS Or maybe, just maybe, its because Steve Jobs is no longer here

I have to agree with you, but in a more general sense.  Just looking at all the candidates in the United States and recent French presidential elections, I am appalled that this is the "best" talent these respective countries can come up with as the leaders of their governments.  It isn't simply that we have lost Steve Jobs, the CEOs of today are more likely to be in the news for generating scandal then generating innovation.  The academics of today are a pale shadow of the intellectual titans that created the body of learning we take for granted.  The trend even applies to "blue collar" work.  The genuinely skilled craftsman is an increasingly rare individual.

All this in a period of human history of unprecedented peace, stability, political openness, and relative economic equality when compared to periods that preceded it.  Never has the human condition been so favorable for the nurturing of greatness. . . . . .

What went wrong here??

Oh well . . . .

Edouard