Author Topic: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015  (Read 10373 times)

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLink IP, 27" iMac 5K Retina, OS 10.10.5
Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 11:16:11 PM »
Man, these are some great wildlife photos! I've lived in Southwestern NH for 30+ years and not seen such a beautiful buck and my homestead lot is 10 wooded acres ?2.5 cleared for house and orchard?surrounded by several thousand acres of more woods (78% of the state is woodland). Our local deer and bear population is very impressive and the deer were eating my fruit trees the 3rd day after planting.

Our fruit trees are now protected by an electrified (and baited) "3-D" fence that causes deer landing anxiety so they do not jump it. Our Veggie garden is amazingly "protected" by a 30" electric mesh fence, again baited. The garden is 48'x70' and the deer do not touch it until the end of the season when we remove the fence to let them forage the leftovers. The key is baiting the fence with apple scent caps and aluminum foil with peanut butter. Bambi smells the bait, comes to the source and gets a serious jolt on the tip of the nose or tongue. They tend to do that just once [rockon]. I do the same with the fence around my apiary but I bait it with bacon for the bears. Same result. Once the critters are trained it's no issue. We routinely loose our bird feeders if we forget to bring them in at night but the bees just quietly buzz away. Keep the bait on for new visitors and offspring.

What may work for most of you is this...Our landscape plants were continually getting haircuts until I finally tried "Liquid Fence" (available Amazon, Lowe's, HD, local nurseries etc). I NEVER thought this would work but it has absolutely stopped the nightly smorgasbord of the plants we really care about. Our Bailey's Viburnum (supposedly deer resistant?HA!) and hostas were getting creamed every night until I finally tried Liquid Fence. Spray it around the perimeter of what you want to protect and the deer left the plants alone this entire season! I sprayed it 3 or 4x between March and early Oct. No munching!  Hopefully works as well for you folks! In the winter we will use Irish Spring bar soap and keep our fingers crossed  :-\

Cheers, John

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 11:31:17 PM »
Only thing I understand is:
In the winter we will use Irish Spring bar soap and keep our fingers crossed
We usually use Dial, but we also use deodorant, instead of crossed fingers... So far, no problems, although we do take more baths in the Spring and Summer. In Winter, we only go to town on Saturday, so onest a week is fine! [tup]

We routinely loose our bird feeders if we forget to bring them in at night but the bees just quietly buzz away.
I know Alaska and Minnesota both claim mosquitos as State Birds, but are NH bees so big that they can carry off bird feeders?! :o
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks and drought-proofing (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2015, 08:23:56 PM »
Dear John, X-Air, and WeatherCat dwellers in nature,

Man, these are some great wildlife photos!

Glad you liked these photos.  There are a number of "WeatherCatters" who are also gifted with a camera.  If you haven't checked out this thread on sky photos around weather instruments you might enjoy it as well:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1842.0;topicseen

If you can feel free to contribute your own photos of your weather instruments.

What may work for most of you is this...Our landscape plants were continually getting haircuts until I finally tried "Liquid Fence" (available Amazon, Lowe's, HD, local nurseries etc).

Thanks for the suggestion but since we have been living with deer for essentially all my life, we have simply changed our landscaping to things that aren't "deerlicious."  At the same time, we have already changed to more drought resistant plants.  Anyone who lived through the California drought of 1976-77 has an altered view about everything and saves water automatically.  That's why I'm extremely bitter about the way California is handling the current drought.  The same governor who was in charge in 1976-77 is asking for the same sacrifices when the state has done almost nothing to prepare for this drought.  At the same time, those of us who never stopped saving water are really being asked to reduce consumption to the point that lots of plants in our already "low water use" yard would die.  On the other hand, people who never made any effort to save water in the first place aren't expected to save any more than those who have been saving water all along.  It is really a program that punishes the old-timers who have led the way on water savings.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2+, WeatherLink IP, 27" iMac 5K Retina, OS 10.10.5
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
Hey, Edouard!
I hear you about the unfair actions the state is requiring. My folks live in San Jose. For years, my Dad has had a small container garden and a couple of raised beds in which he has grown a couple of tomato plants, some sweet potatoes, cukes, lettuce etc. It is something he has loved doing because it was fun for him, gave us even more to talk about and share plus put a small amount of food on the table. This year he gave it all up because the had to conserve more water than they had already been doing for years. I doubt he uses 3 bathtubs full of water all season. Meanwhile, we see celebrities watering their huge lawns. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

I'll check out the weather photos. Thanks for the link! Any place I can check out that wagon of yours?

Cheers,

John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Drought and wagon woes. (Was: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2015, 10:25:15 PM »
Dear John and WeatherCat fans,

I hear you about the unfair actions the state is requiring. My folks live in San Jose. For years, my Dad has had a small container garden and a couple of raised beds in which he has grown a couple of tomato plants, some sweet potatoes, cukes, lettuce etc. It is something he has loved doing because it was fun for him, gave us even more to talk about and share plus put a small amount of food on the table. This year he gave it all up because the had to conserve more water than they had already been doing for years. I doubt he uses 3 bathtubs full of water all season. Meanwhile, we see celebrities watering their huge lawns. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

Yes indeed, people are being asked to do unreasonable things while the population of California continues to swell.  Clearly politicians are more interested in adding new voters than caring about the old-timers who built the state.

Any place I can check out that wagon of yours?

Well, I never did get around to creating a website with the car's long history in our family.  There is an abbreviated version of the story at the start of this thread on a forum devoted to classic Buicks:

http://www.v8buick.com/showthread.php?250765-The-grand-adventures-of-a-trusty-quot-billy-goat-quot-Wagon!

However, it became a very long thread about all the woes the wagon has had since 2011.  I'm still trying to get the custom engine I had built for it working after it lost a bearing after 3 months of operation.  For a quick gloss of the car's woes since then, there is a thread on this forum that is a faster read.

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=392.0

There are some definitely positive developments and I'm hoping to have my wagon back to normal soon - stay tuned!

Cheers, Edouard

Beekpr

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW4502
    • KNHWESTM3
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Very nice story about your wagon, Edouard! Good luck with the bearing and I hope that billy goat wagon is yours forever.

Cheers,

John

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Always something! (Was: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
Dear John and WeatherCat classic car fans,

Very nice story about your wagon, Edouard! Good luck with the bearing

;) . . .  . The bearing?  That's Sooo August 2015! . . . .  [biggrin]

Right now it is the distributor which, by the way, was working in August 2015!!

There is always - something - with a classic car . . . 

and I hope that billy goat wagon is yours forever.

That's definitely da' plan - man!  [bounce]

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]