Author Topic: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015  (Read 10374 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
"Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015
« on: July 24, 2015, 12:45:23 AM »
Dear WeatherCat "temperance supporters, . . . "  ;)

Another year has gone by and once again those darn "Juvenile Delinquents" have turned to "drinking" once more:

This little creature has been spotted in the yard for a while but there are new dogs in the neighborhood so it is much more watchful (thus hard to photograph) :

Alas, this is hardly a funny tale in truth.  The creeks are finally just about dry in their lowest spots and the wild animals have no other sources of water but human kindness.  If you look carefully, this animal is clearly malnourished as well.  Animals reproduce even in drought years, but this young animal will have a real struggle to reach its first birthday.

Edouard

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »
Saw two just like that one around my shed yesterday morning, Edouard. They were mowing off the tops of the wildflowers I have planted along the property line.    >:(

I know conservationists caution against feeding wildlife but it would be mighty tempting to buy some bags of bulk acorns to keep little guys like that from starving. But to tell you the truth, that one doesn't look much different than the two I saw and mine have plenty to eat... a 1/2 acre of my wildflowers and plenty of green grass in the yard. After the wettest June and July in many years, there's no shortage of deer foliage along the eastern seaboard.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:20:12 PM »
Quote from: Felix
I know conservationists caution against feeding wildlife
But that's exactly what you did when you planted those flowers! [lol] From what I hear (from neighbors!) is that any type of flowers will do! I live in the middle of a quarter mile long, east-west, dead-end street. 100+ acres of golf course on the south. 140+ acres of mostly un-mown field with a couple of large ponds on the north. The east end of that acreage has ~15 acres of woods.

It's not rare to see 6 to 12 deer at the eastern entrance at dusk (probably at dawn, also, but I don't want to get up to see!). They seldom venture too far west because of all the houses/dogs/people. However, those living near the east end of the street complain about these critters eating just about any plant they find in the yard! [banghead]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Can't beat'em . . . (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:50 PM »
Dear Felix, X-Air, and WeatherCat frustrated property owners, . . .

Saw two just like that one around my shed yesterday morning, Edouard. They were mowing off the tops of the wildflowers I have planted along the property line.    >:(

Basically we have fenced in a small part of our yard were we grow things like tomatoes and flowers.  The rest belongs to the deer and other critters.  After decades, we have learned which plants aren't "deerlicious" and that's all we have on the bulk of the property.

I know conservationists caution against feeding wildlife but it would be mighty tempting to buy some bags of bulk acorns to keep little guys like that from starving. But to tell you the truth, that one doesn't look much different than the two I saw and mine have plenty to eat... a 1/2 acre of my wildflowers and plenty of green grass in the yard. After the wettest June and July in many years, there's no shortage of deer foliage along the eastern seaboard.

Well, this critter will have to fend for itself.  The water is for the birds and I'll keep it full for the deer, but there are limits to what I'm willing to do.  They may think they own the place, but they don't pay the property taxes!

It's not rare to see 6 to 12 deer at the eastern entrance at dusk (probably at dawn, also, but I don't want to get up to see!). They seldom venture too far west because of all the houses/dogs/people. However, those living near the east end of the street complain about these critters eating just about any plant they find in the yard! [banghead]

Deer certainly have adjusted to living with people.  It is definitely at the point were they need some serious discouragement!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 02:10:29 PM »
"Nature" seems to be encroaching ever closer to the house! Eating breakfast this morning I see a the neighborhood cat climbing up the tall Crepe Myrtle just outside the window. In a few seconds it had disappeared into the very thick foliage in the upper limbs. Next thing I know, I see it coming down with a small bundle of feathers in its mouth. Survival of the fittest... or, at least, the best climbers!

My mistake was mentioning the event to my ex-Daughter-in-Law (long story!). She was overcome with pity, sadness, and alarm. While trying to calm her down she saw the cat making a return trip to the 'fresh produce department'. She rushed out the door making all kinds of noise and saved any remaining siblings... at least until the cat out waits her! [rolleyes2]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What is wild - stays wild. (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:04:10 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat dwellers in the suburban "wilderness."

"Nature" seems to be encroaching ever closer to the house! Eating breakfast this morning I see a the neighborhood cat climbing up the tall Crepe Myrtle just outside the window. In a few seconds it had disappeared into the very thick foliage in the upper limbs. Next thing I know, I see it coming down with a small bundle of feathers in its mouth. Survival of the fittest... or, at least, the best climbers!

My mistake was mentioning the event to my ex-Daughter-in-Law (long story!). She was overcome with pity, sadness, and alarm. While trying to calm her down she saw the cat making a return trip to the 'fresh produce department'. She rushed out the door making all kinds of noise and saved any remaining siblings... at least until the cat out waits her! [rolleyes2]

Unfortunately, too many people cannot resist treating wild animals like humans.  All this seems especially odd considering many human beings have lost the interest it seems to treat other human beings as they would like to be treated!

Where I do get a bit upset are the people who insist on bringing a cat into the neighborhood and then seem to feel it is perfectly natural to turn it lose on the wild creatures of the area.  Hawks, native felines, coyotes, etc., that's part of the ecosystem.  Pets that get a fed and nonetheless "amuse" themselves by killing wildlife - that I don't find amusing.

Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 12:04:54 AM »
 [lol]I have no idea whose cat this may be; no collar, of course. It runs away from people and seems to 'live' in the storm drains. Still, it looks well fed, probably plenty of dog food bowls around! There are leash laws, but it seems to be applied only to dogs, although there are cats at the city pound...

Our cat has never been outside unless in a carrier going to the vet once a year. She is the epitome of a "scardy cat"! If she hears anyone in the driveway, she's under a bed before they get to the door!

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:34:41 PM »
<snip>But that's exactly what you did when you planted those flowers! <snip>

Conservationists typically maintain that encouraging existing native wildlife plant growth is the most practical and cost-effective method of enhancing wildlife habitat.

In my case, I'm not intentionally growing a wildlife food plot, I just happen to like the sea of wildflowers I have 'cultivated' for years along my property line. I will admit though, I enjoy the birds, pollinators, rabbits, occasional wild turkey and you name it that the wildflowers (and the seeds they produce) attract. But the influx of deer are a rather new in the area, in the last 15 years or so the population has gone from an occasional sighting to being absolute pests. I've switched to more deer-resistant varieties over time but it's impossible to get rid of perennial Black-Eyed Susan flowers (Rudbeckia hirta) once established without spraying Roundup over the entire area and starting over. Unfortunately deer absolutely love Black-Eyed Susans and will do about anything to get at them, including trampling over everything else. The webcam on my detached gardening shed picks them up every night, and anymore even in the broad daylight, especially the youngsters. So I suppose you're right, Driver, my wildflowers are in a small way a contributor to Virginia's deer population explosion.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 02:19:19 PM »
my wildflowers are in a small way a contributor to Virginia's deer population explosion
But very small and localized. Deer populations are literally exploding all over the country. Apparently, the elimination of all predators is the biggest factor. Expanding city limits further reduce hunting, even while reducing a lot of habitat. Unfortunately, that leaves the deer to suffer from malnutrition, disease, and road kill events. I think your only solution is a razor-wire topped, electrical fenced are. Perhaps with randomly timed or movement activated sensors to activate small dynamite caps.

Don't forget to wear ear protectors while enjoying your garden! [banghead]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:41:54 PM »
Felix:

I have finally found something that deer won't eat: Colorado Blue Spruce trees. They won't touch 'em. This doesn't help you but out here in the west, whitetail mule deer have moved into most of the small towns and have discovered vegetable & flower gardens. It's quite a nuisance problem for the reasons Xair states.  I live in a remote area up in the mountains in the natural habitat of wildlife. We have deer, moose, elk, back bear, fox, wild turkey and all the smaller animals grazing through the mountains around us. We don't have enough water to cultivate a garden of any kind but wildflowers are profuse. Unfortunately, when we go to town, we are driving through deer all the way to Main Street.

I was in a meeting last Saturday with a high ranking official from the state wildlife management agency and he begged people not to feed wildlife. He said that although it looks like you are helping, you are not and it negatively affects the balance of nature.

I have no answers for you, but I sure enjoy nature.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Dear Blick, Felix, X-Air, and WeatherCat frustrated homeowners,

I have finally found something that deer won't eat: Colorado Blue Spruce trees. They won't touch 'em.

You have a bit more choice than that.  Euryops are a bushy daisy like flowering plant that deer won't eat.  Oleander is another bushy plant that does well in drought and deer won't eat.  California privet can be either a tree or bush and the deer won't eat that either.

Most trees can be gotten tall enough that even if the deer will eat the leaves the branches soon get out of their reach.

You can have a yard that looks decent and yet, doesn't have the deer munching everything.  There are books with recommendations, but you need to take them with a grain of salt.  In our first house in Orinda, we had deer and Honeysuckle.  Over there, the deer wouldn't touch the Honeysuckle.  My Mom brought cuttings from that plant to our "newer" house just a 1-1/2 mile away and the deer mow the Honeysuckle to near extinction.

Such is life in "deerlicious" country . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 10:40:34 PM »
Enjoyed reading this thread on deer - one never knows what will show up on a weather forum! Love it. I'd guess that weather watching and nature watching go hand in hand.

By the way, did anyway else read the report about the woman in Yellowstone National Park taking a selfie with a bison right behind her? She was gored.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 04:59:37 AM »
Some places should be selfie free: The Alamo, The National Mall, Buckingham Palace, standing in front of a moose or a bison, etc.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 02:38:18 PM »
Some places should be selfie free... standing in front of a moose or a bison, etc.
Seems Nature has a way of dealing with the less mentally 'talented'. [rolleyes2]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 04:55:42 PM »
Some places should be selfie free

All places should be selfie free! Our first visit to Mars will probably be like...

By the way, I was walking past our dining room window the other day and a young deer was munching on the cone flowers about 5 feet away. We just looked at each other for a couple seconds, and then he meandered away. Night time video shows he likes our green beans and lima beans, too.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook