Author Topic: Coping with Weather Underground "issuez"  (Read 8264 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Coping with Weather Underground "issuez"
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 03:45:05 AM »
I used to like what we called "normal"... not so sure, anymore.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »
I received an eMail today from WU. Maybe they sorted their troubles.

Cheers,
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 05:20:48 PM »
They were still rejecting some of my webcam uploads yesterday, but most of them went through successfully. They are definitely making progress.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »
They are definitely making progress.

Yes, that it what I think, too.
Reinhard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Thanks to Weatheraardvark for the link and the flasher joke. Lol ? And thanks to everyone for their kind and considerate contributions. Hopefully WU has it all sorted and we can get back to our beloved humdrum routines.

Question: When did they add a discussion thread at the bottom of the personal WS page? I just noticed it today. Nice! No one has used it on my PWS yet. Well, except me, about 5 minutes ago. Has anyone else seen any activity from J.Q. Public, yet?
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome back Herb! (Re: Weather Underground "issuez")
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 11:33:56 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat faithful,

Hey, nice to have you posting once more!  :)  I hadn't seen your signature in a while and was wondering what you were up to!

Question: When did they add a discussion thread at the bottom of the personal WS page? I just noticed it today. Nice! No one has used it on my PWS yet. Well, except me, about 5 minutes ago. Has anyone else seen any activity from J.Q. Public, yet?

Well, I hadn't noticed it either.  However there is a very tiny name at the bottom right of your page: Disqus

https://disqus.com/

These are folks supplying the software that implements the discussion feature of Weather Underground.  I'm having a hard time imagining how conversations like this would work.  Unless a particular weather station generated some sort of communal interest, it seems more reasonable to have a discussion about the weather in a particular location and include all the nearby weather stations in one common thread.

Does anybody see some discussion activity on their particular WU station page?

Another curious mind would like to know!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 04:45:59 PM »
Nice to see you back on the forum Herb!

0 comments on my page. Can't imagine why anyone would comment and agree with Edouard on this new feature.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another episode last night. (Re: Weather Underground "issuez")
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »
Dear WeatherCat data submission junkies,

I might be the only one, but Weather Underground started generating errors about 9 pm PDT.  Since my AppleScripts report these errors every minute, my display was getting "da' Growl measles."   Turning off rapid fire submissions got rid of the problem for me.  This morning, I turned it back on without any problems.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2018, 11:32:26 AM »
Elagache and all WCatters:
According to http://stats.pingdom.com/zw9vxjhrr9ze/1850219, rapid fire is once again down.
i started receiving hang notices and since i have disabled Rapid Fire, those have ceased.

As for the ongoing issues? i still think WU *as WeatherBug did* finds PWS reporting a "necessary evil"
they seem to do as little as possible to support it, do not respond when participants report issues and make
less-than-smart decisions which they "reconsider" when those who use the service start complaining. i call
that management-by-mistake.

So, with that said-for the time being i will continue to upload data since i killed off my webpage. BUT.....if they show with continuing
lack of interest and response that my data means less than zero to them? i kill off the WU account after 14 years in 3 different locations
and go to a personal webpage.

*rant off and steps off soapbox*

Jenna [tup]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Don't tell my WeatherCat! (Re: Weather Underground "issuez")
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat data submission junkies,

Elagache and all WCatters:
According to http://stats.pingdom.com/zw9vxjhrr9ze/1850219, rapid fire is once again down.
i started receiving hang notices and since i have disabled Rapid Fire, those have ceased.
. . . .

Hmm, don't know what to say, but I turned rapid fire back on yesterday and it is working fine for me.  The data looks fine on Weather Underground as well.

My sympathies on your rants, but alas, if the only problems we had in the world was Weather Underground - we wouldn't be bad off. . . .

Oh well,
. . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »
My rapid fire updates have never missed a beat for quite a while. But I agree with what you said jennajon. Eventually, WU will deteriorate into nothing useful. Which is a shame as they have the largest network of backyard weather stations. They have recently replaced the old WU Storm app with Storm Radar and while it is more beautiful than the old app by 100% it is also now less helpful and detailed by the same percentage.
Blick

jennajon

• Gentle Breeze
    • FW2882
    • KMEGLENB7
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus With FARS, Solar and UV sensors, MAC 27 in. Retina, WeatherCat vers. 3.05 build 27
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
Blicj11:

Totally agree. The new app simply does not offer as much information as the old, and therefore is worthless to me personally.

However, the link I posted (http://stats.pingdom.com/zw9vxjhrr9ze/1850219) may not be reliable information since it still shows
the Rapid Fire network to be completely offline. I am uploading information once again using the Rapid Fire option with no issues whatsoever.

I am seriously considering cutting all ties with WU and going to personal website only...and so it goes.

jenna

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Consider adding instead of replacing (Re: Weather Underground "issuez")
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 11:08:11 PM »
Dear Jenna and WeatherCat frustrated sys-admins,

I am seriously considering cutting all ties with WU and going to personal website only...and so it goes.

I certainly won't disagree with your frustrations, but if you are considering creating a personal website, you could simply let WU "twist in the wind" and concentrate instead on that website.  If WU is no longer your primary web access to your data, then it doesn't matter as much what happens to WU.  There are some really nice templates out there so putting up your own website isn't as much of a chore as it used to be.  These days it is always better to focus on what positive steps we can make and let what is wrong wallow in it own futility.  Life is too short to let failings of services like WU get you down.

Cheers, Edouard