Author Topic: If you are doing this in December - you must be in northern California!  (Read 1391 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat DIY landscape managers, . . . .

Elsewhere in the northern hemisphere, some people are struggling with the internal combustion engines of their snowblowers.  In northern California, things are different.  I just mowed the lawn one last time to pick up as many leaves as I could.  I changed the oil in the mower and wrapped it up with a custom fit mower cover. Since I parked it under our deck, it is protected from the rain.

Northern California must be one of the last places where it makes any sense to try to put away yard equipment like lawn mowers.  Any place with more sunshine will require yard-work year around, so at least you don't have to put things away.

All this yard work and only 8 days til Christmas! . . . . It just ain't fair I tell 'ya!!

Oh well, now I can get back to Christmas cards . . . . .  [snowflake]

Edouard  :)

maxen

• Gentle Breeze
Re: If you are doing this in December - you must be in northern California!
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »
In Sweden, were we are supposed to have polar bears in the streets, I am for real having plans to take out the lawn mower on Christmas. Very warm autumn and ... well by the meteorologists it is still autumn here. Anyhow the grass is growing green (slowly, but nevertheless).

So maybe I am out mowing the lawn and play a round of golf this Christmas.  [headbang]

(But I'm using a quiet and manual grass-mower. [tup] )

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
Re: If you are doing this in December - you must be in northern California!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
in a 'normal' year, I would have already shoveled snow at least once or twice by now. But this year, I mowed the lawn on 16 December! And the forecast is for a daytime high of 71?F on Christmas Eve.

I've now cleaned the underdeck and run the gas tank dry on my little trim mower for the third time this fall...each time figuring 'this is it, no more mowing until spring.' At least I didn't yet sharpen the blades and pull the spark plug and dump in a squirt of oil like I usually do. And haven't done anything to the lawn tractor yet, still waiting for some seriously cold temps. Must have had a premonition.

Naw, no premonition, otherwise I wouldn't have replaced my snow blower this fall.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hmmm, . . Evidence for El Ni?o? (Re: If you are doing this in December)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:21:23 PM »
Dear Maxen, Felix, and WeatherCat climate watchers,

In Sweden, were we are supposed to have polar bears in the streets, I am for real having plans to take out the lawn mower on Christmas. Very warm autumn and ... well by the meteorologists it is still autumn here. Anyhow the grass is growing green (slowly, but nevertheless).

So maybe I am out mowing the lawn and play a round of golf this Christmas.

Sounds like you should just enjoy it!  It does sound very unusual for Sweden though.

(But I'm using a quiet and manual grass-mower. [tup] )

[wink] . . . Awe shucks!  You are missing out on all the fun!  [goofy]  What's mowing the lawn if you don't get gasoline all over your hands and motor oil stains on the driveway!  [banghead]

I wish I could use a human-powered mower!

in a 'normal' year, I would have already shoveled snow at least once or twice by now. But this year, I mowed the lawn on 16 December! And the forecast is for a daytime high of 71?F on Christmas Eve.

I've now cleaned the underdeck and run the gas tank dry on my little trim mower for the third time this fall...each time figuring 'this is it, no more mowing until spring.' At least I didn't yet sharpen the blades and pull the spark plug and dump in a squirt of oil like I usually do. And haven't done anything to the lawn tractor yet, still waiting for some seriously cold temps. Must have had a premonition.

Hmm, could this all be something to do with El Ni?o?  The "fire hose" of rain that is commonly associated with El Ni?o appears to be further north as it should be at this time of year.  Portland Oregon is really being hammered with flooding right now.  It is a very different situation than last year when they were also in drought.

Naw, no premonition, otherwise I wouldn't have replaced my snow blower this fall.

;) . . . Well now that must be the explanation!  Murphy's law prevails once more! . . . .  [banghead]

Cheers Edouard  [cheers1]