Author Topic: Internet Weather Sites  (Read 3792 times)

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
Internet Weather Sites
« on: February 27, 2015, 12:08:53 AM »
I've been uploading weather data via WeatherCat to WeatherUnderground and CWOP for years. But I see that WeatherCat has added a number of weather sites to which data can be uploaded (which, for those who remember, weren't available in LWC). Would appreciate anyone's feedback on your favorite and/or preferred weather sites to which you upload. I've read a few comments here and there on the forum. Perhaps aggregating the feedback would be helpful to others as well. Pros, cons, frustrations, usefulness, etc.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Internet Weather Sites
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 07:52:24 AM »
For me, WeatherUnderground is still the best. It allows you to load historical data if your station goes offline for a bit. It also emails you to let you know when your station has been offline for more than 2 hours. They have improved the graphics since they were purchased by The Weather Channel, but on the downside, since being acquired it is almost impossible to find things on their site that were easy to find two years ago.

One of the newest sites is based in Europe and is called Weathercloud. I like their data presentation graphics and the few times I have emailed them, I've received a prompt reply. When was the last time anyone got a reply from WeatherUnderground? On the downside, not every feature on WeatherCloud actually works yet, although they assure me they're working on it. I suspect they have funding issues.
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:42:19 PM »
Hi Michael
  I upload to WU, Weatherbug, PWS, Awekas, Met Office, CWOP, Open Weather Map, and WeatherCloud

cheers  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
All supported sites work fine. (Re: Internet Weather Sites)
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 10:49:51 PM »
Dear Michael, Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat data submission junkies,

I've been uploading weather data via WeatherCat to WeatherUnderground and CWOP for years. But I see that WeatherCat has added a number of weather sites to which data can be uploaded (which, for those who remember, weren't available in LWC). Would appreciate anyone's feedback on your favorite and/or preferred weather sites to which you upload. I've read a few comments here and there on the forum. Perhaps aggregating the feedback would be helpful to others as well. Pros, cons, frustrations, usefulness, etc.

I upload to WU, Weatherbug, PWS, Awekas, Met Office, CWOP, Open Weather Map, and WeatherCloud 

Like Randall I upload to all those services.  There was a time when it took an AppleScript to upload to some of those services.  Now Stu had created WeatherCat plug-ins so any of those services is about as easy as any other.  Since I do try to help Stu out in the beta-testing duties I try to run everything as hard as possible but never notice any problems.  Honestly, the only service that has "issuez" is Weather Underground.  Uploading webcam images frequently fail with FTP errors.  Since my WC Status Growler AppleScript faithfully reports every failure those errors tend to clutter up my display.  Besides that, service outages are rare for any of these services.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 03:09:33 AM »
I send my data to anywhere I can. I figure it doesn't take any effort on my part once set up, and it might help whomever is collecting data to get better predictions based on ground truth.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

LesCimes

• Strong Breeze
    • CW9832
    • KGAGRACE1
    • Weather Underground
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on a MacMini (2009) Mac OS 10.11.6
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 12:58:58 AM »
Great input, weather hobbyist! Thanks. Some of my own thoughts about the weather sites I use...

WeatherUnderground is pretty comprehensive, but as mentioned above, hard to find things. It is my main "go to" site for all my weather curiosities. Digging deeper into their site is complicated; as mentioned above pretty hard to find stuff. I look around there occassionally. The weather cam feature is spotty; I don't think my image has ever uploaded 100% for 24 hours. But I don't know of any other site that posts a webcam image. I use the WU blog sometimes but don't ever get any comments, guess "cause I don't have a doctorate in meteorology. Still fun to post a note or two. So, I guess I'd rate WU #1.

I love CWOP for its scientific look and analysis. I bet we all have gone to CWOP to see if our data has a "thumbs up" and check marks. Pretty cool. Plus it links to nearby weather stations from which to make comparisons. All appears to be the most statistical and accurate. If you ever wonder when your station has been down, CWOP shows the times when data is missing. Helpful to be able to look back and see where there are gaps.

I'll probably start looking around at other weather sites and see which additional ones to send data to. So appreciate WC having the ability to send to so many places. I just need to get around to investigating.

Lastly, I've looked at a few of the personally designed weather web pages of forum members. Pretty nice stuff. I'm impressed and really want to start improving my personal weather web page. Obviously, WC has got the tools to make a great weather web page - top class!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Chet

• Gentle Breeze
    • EW1987
    • IBADENWU20
  • Station Details: Davis Vue, iMac OS X, Catalina
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:22:15 PM »
I view having a weather station and uploading data to any and all data collecting sites is my small way of helping to track climate change. It's a bit of fun too.
Chet
Castle Rock Colorado

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:32 AM »
WeatherBug doesn't even have a website with links to PWSs?! If I want to use their "Desktop" app I have to use Chrome?! Have they not heard that people will be using web browsers? Those things are mostly platform agnostic! This isn't 1995! Internet Exploder is now playing catch-up! [headbang]

I have a page showing my current data. But I had to register, again, just to visit their forums? ::) At least they still don't have my real name... [removed link to the now castly photobucket.com site]

After the above rant, I found this:
Quote from: WeatherBug Backyard Community
Please Note: Backyard Stations and the Backyard Community currently consist of two separate registrations. We are working to merge the two in the near future.
I assume they are working hard on that, after all, it's now the day before Taxes Due and the copyright on that page is still 2014. [spin]

The faster the Internet gets, the slower pages are updated.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 05:27:33 PM by xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system