WeatherCat > WeatherCat General Discussion

Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path)

(1/2) > >>

billtucson:
My iMac software (10.5.8) died and I'm in the process of reinstalling it all. LWC2 will not reload - I kept getting an odd message after 99% of it was loaded (and Davis weather station was recognized). So I decided to try WeatherCat. Now I get the exact same message:  "Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path) Couldn't create data set. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a Force Quit. I'm in the process of getting a snow leopard upgrade to 10.6+, perhaps that will help. Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks...

Bill - Tucson AZ.

elagache:
Dear Bill and WeatherCat fans,

--- Quote from: billtucson on June 23, 2012, 09:50:56 PM ---My iMac software (10.5.8) died and I'm in the process of reinstalling it all. LWC2 will not reload - I kept getting an odd message after 99% of it was loaded (and Davis weather station was recognized). So I decided to try WeatherCat. Now I get the exact same message:  "Fatal error in WeatherCatDataManager createLocation - (no path) Couldn't create data set. WeatherCat will quit." The it freezes and I have to do a Force Quit. I'm in the process of getting a snow leopard upgrade to 10.6+, perhaps that will help.
--- End quote ---

Certainly a strange error and I've never seen anything like that in my forum monitoring of LWC or WeatherCat.

The error message suggests a possible problem though.  LWC (and WeatherCat) try to create their data in the Library folder of your "home" (user account) directory.  Something like this in UNIX-styled pathnames:

~/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1

Would you be trying to get WeatherCat started before you got your user directories straightened out somehow?  Perhaps some administrator privileges are out of whack so that this path isn't accessible to WeatherCat?  You might try running the "fix permissions" of Disk First-Aid and see if that helps.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev:
Hi Bill and welcome to the forum.

WeatherCat couldn't write a file to your disk - in fact the (no path) bit means it could create a folder.

Check your disk isn't out of space (it happens), then check the permissions followed by a disk check (via Disk Utility). If that all checks out OK, run a longer term disk test over a few hours to see if any errors crop up. If that's OK, run a RAM test

I would get LWC running again first, before running WeatherCat, so when it imports your LWC data it has an up to date data set to import.

Hope this helps,
Stu.

billtucson:
Never did figure out what that error was - for a number of reasons I did a clean install again and now all is well. Well, almost. My Davis Pro Vantage2 which I have run successfully for years cannot be recognized by either LWC2 or WeatherCat. I have the data logger installed as usual in the back of the console, have plugged and unplugged and rebooted 20 times, and have reinstalled the SLAB_USBtoUART driver 10 times but nothing seems to work to get the software to recognize the console. ARGHH!!!

jace:
Hi Bill

If it's first time the software is identifying the station, both LWC and WeatherCat seem to default to Davis Monitor/wizard which is the first station on the list of Davis stations. Have you tried going to Tools/Configure Station Comms,  in the drop down menu you can then pick your Vantage2.

JC

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version