Author Topic: Sierra for Mac - seems to break weathercat :-(  (Read 21960 times)

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Sierra for Mac - seems to break weathercat :-(
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
Weathercat works fine for me.
But WeatherLink for Mac would crash.   I did some digging and found that I needed to do the below . Now it works fine. I don't know if this will help anyone with Weathercat or not.

Finder
Open your HD and go to applications and scroll down to MACOS x Weatherlink folder
Open that and right click on WeatherLink.app and select info.
On the info make sure that the Open in 32bit mode is selected

I would guess that one would use the Weathercat instead of WeatherLink.app.

Two other things I have noticed.   Sierra during its install removes the registration code from Weatherdisplay.  Brian will issue a new one .
The other is Bitdefender kept popping up on the desktop.  I finally decided to remove it and re install it and we are good.

I am still trying to find out what works and doesn't, but I am thinking that there will be updates to this OS  as we lump along for a while.

Just my 2 cents.
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2016, 05:45:07 PM »
BTW X-Air, I'm not seeing any Safari browser problems like you described in another thread.
Perhaps they fixed it in Sierra. While "Zooming" makes the text larger, it also makes everything on the page larger! Text and images are two different objects, they should have different size controls, as the were in the previous version. I'm certainly not the only one complaining about this "improvement".

<rant>Many (apparently the majority!) people use apps in 'full-screen' mode (I think that was some kind of default behavior in Windows. While I have a 27" monitor, I like to use that real estate to have numerous windows open and easily visible at the same time. I don't need no stinkin' images larger! All I ask is that the text be larger. Period. I'm trying other utilities like Cocktail and TinkerTool System to see if they can still set the minimum size of web sites. Many 'designers' are of the 'under thirty' crowd and seem to think we all want tiny text. Could it be because they can't write anything worth reading? [rolleyes2] </rant>
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2016, 11:41:14 PM »
For anyone interested in reading about the new file structure which reportedly will make it into the 2017 OS, Ars Technica has a section discussing it in their macOS Sierra review.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/09/macos-10-12-sierra-the-ars-technica-review/7/

I have a feeling third-party developers who aren't already making plans for that transition will be in a world of hurt. Then again, I'm not a coder so maybe the heavy lifting is all on Apple's end.

Back to WC and macOS Sierra, my install has been rock solid after 24+ hours of run time. No unusual memory leaks observed either.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2016, 12:15:59 AM »
Thanks for keeping us updated. I want to upgrade but am just holding out for while longer. Don't know why, but I'm being cautious this time around. 
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2016, 11:22:08 AM »
<Warning, not thread related> Had my first macOS Sierra glitch this morning. Opened Notes and it promptly crashed:

Crashed Thread:        9  Dispatch queue: NSManagedObjectContext 0x6180001ca8c0

And did the same thing the second time, and the third after a restart.

Internet to the rescue, turn off iCloud sync for Notes, open Notes (didn't crash now), turn on iCloud sync again and everything seems to be functioning again.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Reasons easy to come by! (Re: Sierra for Mac)
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2016, 10:49:39 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, X-Air, Blick, Felix, and WeatherCat leading and not bleeding edgers, . . . . 

Thanks for keeping us updated. I want to upgrade but am just holding out for while longer. Don't know why, but I'm being cautious this time around.

<Warning, not thread related> Had my first macOS Sierra glitch this morning. Opened Notes and it promptly crashed:
. . . .

Oh, I dunno' it seems to me that there are plenty of reasons to be cautious!

But WeatherLink for Mac would crash.   I did some digging and found that I needed to do the below . Now it works fine. I don't know if this will help anyone with Weathercat or not.

. . . .

Yes, this has been necessary for several years.  Were you able to run WeatherLink before?  The info to switch WeatherLink to 32-bits is somewhere else on this forum, but it has been so long that it might be hard to locate.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
Re: Reasons easy to come by! (Re: Sierra for Mac)
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 04:52:00 AM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, X-Air, Blick, Felix, and WeatherCat leading and not bleeding edgers, . . . . 

. . . .

Oh, I dunno' it seems to me that there are plenty of reasons to be cautious!

. . . .

Yes, this has been necessary for several years.  Were you able to run WeatherLink before?  The info to switch WeatherLink to 32-bits is somewhere else on this forum, but it has been so long that it might be hard to locate.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]
'

I could run weatherdisplay and weather link before, but after I tweaked WL, I could access it.  Essentially it is still worthless.  I ran WCat for about 4 hours today with no problems, Wdisplay crashed after 3 minutes, repeatedly and I tried all sorts,  but no dice.  So I copied everything to a CD and have that on the shelf incase things improve.   
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
The info to switch WeatherLink to 32-bits is somewhere else on this forum
The normal way to force the OS to run an app in 32 bit mode is to use the checkbox in the app's Get Info window. I don't think 64 bit apps even have that box, so just seeing it is a good clue it probably needs to be checked.

I've never even seen the apps mention by ardvark, except WC, of course. However, some of them may need this 'tweaking'. It may simply be that they are not as up-to-daye as WC! [tup]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:51 PM »
The info to switch WeatherLink to 32-bits is somewhere else on this forum
The normal way to force the OS to run an app in 32 bit mode is to use the checkbox in the app's Get Info window. I don't think 64 bit apps even have that box, so just seeing it is a good clue it probably needs to be checked.

I've never even seen the apps mention by ardvark, except WC, of course. However, some of them may need this 'tweaking'. It may simply be that they are not as up-to-daye as WC! [tup]
I wouldn't think you would see those apps.  Weatherdisplay is a very sophisticated app or program for PC.  Has a lot of things and a few more. WeatherCat is close to that, However, the PC aspect of Weather Display is there.  Mac, mixed reactions.

WeatherLink, is better for the pC as many of us know.  It just isn't for the Mac, Oh yes, it does somethings and you can get basic information from either a console or Envoy, but the Envoy 8x is out of the question,  You just can't get the information you want from this app.  I have asked them repeatedly about upgrading and of course they are referring it to their software dept. 

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 11:51:44 AM »
WeatherCat continues to run fine after upgrading to macOS 10.12.1 (Sierra) last night with the equipment listed in my profile.

awilltx

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2016, 12:07:42 PM »
Upgraded to macOS Sierra 10.12.1 yesterday and everything is running smooth at 14+ hours.

Alan

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2016, 06:11:23 PM »
Thanks for the updates. I plan to upgrade from El Capitan soon.
Blick

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2016, 06:32:43 PM »
Thanks for the updates. I plan to upgrade from El Capitan soon.
Me, too. Just waitin on what the Developer of WCat advices. Go? NoGo?
 :D
Cheers,
Reinhard

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2016, 11:29:17 PM »
I waited for 10.12.1 to be released but my computer had already downloaded 10.12 and was just waiting for me to install it and NO I don't have auto updates on????
Anyhoo I was forced into loading 10.12 up first as I couldn't get a direct 10.12.1 download from anywhere.

Much to my surprise WC loaded immediately as 10.12 launched and it's not on my start up list and has never done that before, then I opened the MAC APP STORE to get the 10.12.1 update and WC launched again at start up. I'm using SilLabs USB Driver Version:4.10.13 from El Capitan.

MBP MID 2012 no problems whatsoever. If I have any problems I'll let you know
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2016, 01:11:30 AM »
When you use the Shutdown menu, there is a checkbox specifying/enabling "Open (currently) running apps". I dint think the OS Update system gives you that dialog. OTOH, the System retains the setting of that checkbox until you change it. Perhaps you have that box checked?

That's good news but I don't plan on updating the mini that runs WC until at least 10.12.2, or until we get more reports of WC running with the USB connection to the Davis Console.

I may update my iMac in a couple of weeks assuming no new problems were created by the .1 update.