Author Topic: A Trace of Precipitation  (Read 2308 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
A Trace of Precipitation
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:43:00 PM »
I could have sworn there was a way to enter a Trace as precipitation amount for a day in WeatherCat. But I can't find it mentioned in the Manual or anywhere on the forum. I tried to enter a T as the amount in the Daily Rain Editor but that appears to just replace the 0.00 amount with another 0.00 amount. Am I just remembering wrong? I know you can enter a Trace in your daily CoCoRaHS report, so perhaps I just got the two confused. Can anyone shed any light here?

Thanks.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Word 'trace' doesn't appear in manual. (Re: A Trace of Precipitation)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 11:45:36 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat west coast drought watchers, . . . .

I could have sworn there was a way to enter a Trace as precipitation amount for a day in WeatherCat. But I can't find it mentioned in the Manual or anywhere on the forum. I tried to enter a T as the amount in the Daily Rain Editor but that appears to just replace the 0.00 amount with another 0.00 amount. Am I just remembering wrong? I know you can enter a Trace in your daily CoCoRaHS report, so perhaps I just got the two confused. Can anyone shed any light here?

I don't recall any mechanism for entering anything other than numerically measurable amounts of rainfall into WeatherCat.  Moreover, when I do a search of the text of the WeatherCat manual for the word 'trace' - it doesn't appear.  So I'm reasonably confident there is no mechanism within WeatherCat.

However, I can report that there was a forecast of possible showers in Northern California from the remnants of Hurricane Fabio.  I did remove the cap off my rain gauge and there were a few drops, but alas no bucket tips . . . . .

Oh well,
. . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: A Trace of Precipitation
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 12:36:10 AM »
Thank you sir, I did the same as you to come to the same conclusion. I was just hoping I was wrong.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Re: A Trace of Precipitation
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 03:34:19 PM »
My leaf wetness indicator shows a trace - it's always reading wet prior to any rainfall. I'm sure it doesn't properly define "trace" but it starts reading wetness with a single drop.

A clear conscience is a great pillow.