Author Topic: WeatherCat Twitter fans, could you upgrade to Mountain Lion?  (Read 2735 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat Twitter fans, could you upgrade to Mountain Lion?
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:46:28 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript Twitter users,

As we all have lamented, J. C. Computing seems to have been shipwrecked by the "improvements" in the Twitter API.  That sent a cold chill down my spine because Jesse seemed like a sharp guy.  The Twitter API clearly was a much tougher nut to crack than it should have been.  Yesterday, I pursued the UNIX command line angle and came up empty.  In frustration I checked to see if the Mac Twitter application supported AppleScript.  It does, but you can't use it to send Twitter messages - huh!?!?!??!??  :o

That led me to the Twitter support forum where someone mentioned Twitter Scripter:

http://www.mousedown.net/mouseware/TwitterScripter.html

This is a tiny application that runs in the background waiting for AppleScript requests to send data to Twitter.  You can download it for free at the Mac App store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twitter-scripter/id645249778?mt=12

It uses the OS X management facilities for your Twitter account and password, so OS X takes care of securing your account. 

This morning I modified WC Twitter Uploader to use Twitter Scripter instead of ASTwitterLibrary and it has run so far today working perfectly.  The only catch is that Twitter Scripter requires OS 10.8 or later.  Would that be a problem for anybody using WC Twitter Uploader to upgrade to at least Mountain Lion?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: WeatherCat Twitter fans, could you upgrade to Mountain Lion?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:29:48 PM »
Thanks for your continued pursuit of this AppleScript, Edouard! I don't know what I'd do if mine stopped working, as I've had several followers thank me for offering it as a local option.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
This will happen eventually (Re: Twitter fans, upgrade to Mountain Lion?)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 09:24:49 PM »
Hi Steve and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Thanks for your continued pursuit of this AppleScript, Edouard! I don't know what I'd do if mine stopped working, as I've had several followers thank me for offering it as a local option.

The new technique seems to be working fine on my computer.  So I'll eventually release an update to the AppleScripts that switch to this mode for sending Twitter posts.  I sent a PM to Jay asking what version of OS X he was using, but he hasn't gotten back to me.  As usual, I'm up to my neck it things to do, but I'll try go update all the documentation and add a few more tweaks that are on the do-to list and release a new version of the AppleScripts soon.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]