Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01  (Read 89354 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Folder location and UNIX . . . . (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:16:36 PM »
Hi Federico, John, and WeatherCat scripters,

The file is present but with a different path and folder name:

MacintoshHD/WeatherCat Scripts 2013-12-01/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Prefs

Well, that should not work at all.  These script are supposed to be installed in the Applications folder inside your home folder.  Sorry, I goofed on my previous posting.  The correct path should be:

~/Applications/WeatherCat Scripts/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Prefs

The entire contents of the folder WeatherCat Scripts is supposed to be within that second Applications folder associated with your home folder.  I know it is a bit clumsy and I should have implemented it differently, but I had to make this all work in a hurry.

I don't know if that will rescue you Federico or not, but you might try it.

Edouard - are there other AppleScript twitter libraries that could be utilized, or is the applescript tightly coupled to the current ones?

Alas, I'm not aware of any other Twitter tools for AppleScript at all.  AppleScript has been mostly abandoned and there is very little support for it.

I wonder if there is a way to do this through other means ... bash script called from an applescript, etc...

As the time has passed I've been pondering this as well.  Let me search around end see if there is another way to do this from the UNIX command line end of things.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Re: Folder location and UNIX . . . . (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:36 AM »
Well, that should not work at all.  These script are supposed to be installed in the Applications folder inside your home folder.  Sorry, I goofed on my previous posting.  The correct path should be:

~/Applications/WeatherCat Scripts/WeatherCat Script Library/WeatherCat Script Prefs

The entire contents of the folder WeatherCat Scripts is supposed to be within that second Applications folder associated with your home folder.  I know it is a bit clumsy and I should have implemented it differently, but I had to make this all work in a hurry.

I don't know if that will rescue you Federico or not, but you might try it.

I tried to put the folder in all positions and since there was a folder in Applications / users / user_name / I created (my Applications is the root).
Unfortunately it does not work in any way and the needed results is always [WeatherCat encountered the following error in posting Twitter data: ' '].  :-\
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Could you upgrade to OS 10.8? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »
Hi Federico and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

I might have found a way to get WC Twitter Uploader to work without ASTwitterLibrary.  The scheme is described in this posting:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1368.0

However there is a problem in your case:

assistance was forced to format my HD in order to fix logic unit of old iMac. They installed a downgrade OS from Lion to Snow Leopard . . . .

Is there some reason why they downgraded your version of OS X?  My new scheme requires at OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion.)  Could you upgrade to at least that?

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Re: Could you upgrade to OS 10.8? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:06 AM »

Is there some reason why they downgraded your version of OS X?  My new scheme requires at OS 10.8 (Mountain Lion.)  Could you upgrade to at least that?

No Edouard, unfortunately in this iMac (late 2006) I can't install Mountain Lion and the technicians fixed logic unit advised me to install Snow leopard because Lion would cause an overheating of the logic unit. In fact, since they did the downgrade from Lion to Snow Leopard the computer is much faster and the processor temperature is always around 35-40°C  while before it was always around 60°C.

Many thanks anyway for your interest. You're a good friend!  [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »
Waiting for the scripts or/and for a new iMac there is a simple way to post waether data to a Face Book page or group and to Twitter.
There is a "secret" personal email address associated to every Face Book account and it's possible post text and or pictures sending a a message to that address just with an email. Text MUST BE in Object field and not in text field. Picture could be in text field.

If there was a way to put every hour the weather data string (the same resulting from WC Twitter Uploader) as Object of an email and sent email automatically, weather data could be posted in Face Book page and frome there with a simple app to Twitter.

I've told something about it to Stu months ago but seems to be not so simple with Weather Cat.

Any idea?
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
What's an email "object" field? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2014, 09:21:04 PM »
Hi Frederico and WeatherCat Scripters,

Sorry that you are stuck with Snow Leopard.  That means you won't be able to upgrade to WeatherCat 2.0 either.  Definitely lots of neat upgrades there.

Waiting for the scripts or/and for a new iMac there is a simple way to post waether data to a Face Book page or group and to Twitter.
There is a "secret" personal email address associated to every Face Book account and it's possible post text and or pictures sending a a message to that address just with an email. Text MUST BE in Object field and not in text field. Picture could be in text field.

If there was a way to put every hour the weather data string (the same resulting from WC Twitter Uploader) as Object of an email and sent email automatically, weather data could be posted in Face Book page and frome there with a simple app to Twitter.

My AppleScripts have an email capability, probably the easiest would be for me to make a custom modification to the WC Twitter Uploader so that it emails the string instead of trying to upload it to Twitter directly.

However, I have no idea what you mean by "object" field?  Do you mean subject field by chance?

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: What's an email "object" field? (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2014, 09:55:42 PM »
My AppleScripts have an email capability, probably the easiest would be for me to make a custom modification to the WC Twitter Uploader so that it emails the string instead of trying to upload it to Twitter directly.

However, I have no idea what you mean by "object" field?  Do you mean subject field by chance?

Yes I mean SUBJECT. Sorry for mistake  ;)
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Okay, let me see what I can do. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
Hi Frederico and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Yes I mean SUBJECT. Sorry for mistake  ;)

Okay, let me see what I can do on this one.  I might be able to clone the WC Twitter Uploader script into something that sends emails instead.

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
Re: Okay, let me see what I can do. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
Okay, let me see what I can do on this one.  I might be able to clone the WC Twitter Uploader script into something that sends emails instead.

....my thousands of weather fans like to thank you!  [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:27 PM »
I might be interested in that as well, Edouard. My town has a Facebook page, and a lot of people follow it daily. It would be nice to give 'em a weather update once or twice a day, though I haven't thought out anything about the format.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
WC Twitter Emailer is born (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:11 PM »
Hi Frederico, Herb, and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

....my thousands of weather fans like to thank you!  [cheers1]

I might be interested in that as well, Edouard. My town has a Facebook page, and a lot of people follow it daily. It would be nice to give 'em a weather update once or twice a day, though I haven't thought out anything about the format.

Well, I sliced, diced, and spliced some AppleScript from the various tools I've written over the years and I just got WC Twitter Emailer to send out its first Twitter string as an email.  Let me run it for a while to ferret out any additional bugs that I've missed and then I could write up the docs and let it loose on the world.

Frederico, if you are especially anxious to resume Twitter uploads, I could send you the script and minimalist instructions.  Alas, this script is about as easy to use as all the others!!

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
I'm not so anxious as my my fans are!  :D :D :D

Send the script Edouard and I start playing with it to get the necessary confidence.
You're great! [cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 09:06:50 PM »

There are so many people that become unhappy when they see me coming that it makes me happy to hear that someone has actual fans. Good on ya, mate.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Remember, . . . you are ASKIN' for it!!!! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 10:31:50 PM »
Hi Frederico and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Send the script Edouard and I start playing with it to get the necessary confidence.

Remember, . . . . . you are ASKIN' for it!!!

Okay, I'll assemble the files and try to give enough instructions to make the whole thing work.  But it is a bit complicated!!

P.S. I'm starting to have problems because of Apple's code signing requirement with Mavericks.  I hope you won't have any problems because you are running Snow Leopard, but Randall has some trouble even opening the AppleScripts.  It is getting plenty complicated trying to distribute these scripts now-a-days.

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 10:57:24 PM »

There are so many people that become unhappy when they see me coming that it makes me happy to hear that someone has actual fans. Good on ya, mate.

I was just joking Mate. They aren't real fans. They are just around 500 people following weather updates for few years and now since I stoped to post data and forecast I receiving every day anoying messages asking for resume "the service".

Edouard could save my mailbox...  ;D
Federico
Perugia, Italy