Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01  (Read 89350 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2015, 03:15:42 AM »
Still given the choice of having 100 phony friends on Facebook seems better than to realize that - you don't have any real friends at all.

Edouard

Quite a statement, coming from someone who admittedly does not participate. You're over generalizing. While there may well be some who engage in the behavior of collecting friends, regardless of the lack of outside [Facebook] connection, my own observations indicate that the prevalence is otherwise. Anecdotally, out of a 144 count friends list on my own account, I'm hard put to find any for which there is no other connection than Facebook. They are all either family members or acquaintances from high school, work or the neighborhood. Further, judging by their friends list, it would seem that their activity in this respect is pretty much the same as mine.

As for the other argument, I don't think it was clear enough for me to understand. I don't see any difference in data sharing with a Facebook or equivalent and sharing data with WeatherUnderground. If FB set it up, I might consider it, since one of my FB friends is the city of Horseshoe Bend, where I live. The rest of the FB friends would have little or no interest in my local weather.

What might be interesting, if not useful, would be an Applescript that kept a list of all the winning numbers combinations, just for the big prize. Then was able to produce ranges of number combinations that had never won in a list. Might be more than Applescript could handle, though. And, the list is probably huge!

[goofy] [goofy] [goofy] [wink]
Herb

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »
Returning from sociology to computing applied to meteorology in this case I spoke about Face Book and Twitter impersonal account, where a few hundred people and institutions consulted daily weather updates and receiving tweets containing temperatures, summaries and short-term forecasts for local area.
The task to automatically update the data was originally done by Cronnix by some 3rd party libraries that suddenly stopped working.

Then at my request Edouard found a way with an Apple Script to send an email to a "secret" address of the Face Book page through a procedure called "post-by-email" posting the contents of the object of the email updating the weather data at regular intervals. Face Book by a specific application published on Twitter the same data.
From April 15 Face Book no longer offers this option. The emails are generated and sent by the script of Edouard regularly but the content of the object is not published by Face Book. The emails don't come back to me then I suppose the address is still valid but apparently has lost the option to post their contents.

OK, this is not the end of the world but I am sorry to interrupt this "service" I offered for years and that was used in addition to "friends" (sociologically 99% not even know who they are) also the local city council, hotels, tourist agencies, sports associations etc ...... My moment of glory!  [cheer]

It seems incredible that there can be an easy way to update your status automatically on the most popular social network by text strings as this is done continuously from any game or application annoying.

So sorry if sometimes I propose again this problem of social networks that I personally do not like so much but that if used appropriately (at least from my point of view) can have their little utility.

With the hope that sooner or later is found a solution to resume sending data on FB and Twitter, friendly greetings to everyone.  [cheers1]

Federico.

PS:
@Edouard: I also own a mac book pro but I sacrificed the old imac for Weather Cat and all other dirty jobs that need a desktop computer. Sooner or later I'll have to replace it with a new one (working 24/7 since 2006 it has had enough) and then I will be able to upgrade to Weather Cat 2 and everything else. ;)
Federico
Perugia, Italy

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2015, 03:46:44 PM »
meteoperugia, I am probably missing some facts, but it sounds like you are trying to use FB/Twitter as nothing more than a substitute for a mass emailing. Sure, FB/Twitter has a "prettier" interface, but it seems to have forced people to abandon simple, plain text, fast, and quite flexible emailing. Not to mention that it goes to exactly the people you want to reach, not just 'imaginary friends';)

My point is basically the same as Edouard's, you can't rely on a "service" for whom you are not a customer. Email still works, even if you "garbage it up" with images (embedded and remote), backgrounds, color, html, and animations. [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
Thanks for your reply, Federico. That explains a lot. I can understand why it is so upsetting now.

Perhaps if you appealed to FB, they would see that it is to their benefit to provide a universal method of access. I'm sure it is only security concerns which caused them to make the change in the first place.

You might consider writing your own custom Applescript, that would post directly to an open window through manipulation of the mouse interface. While the task would be a bit of a project, it is doable from a layman's point of view.

Until then, I suppose you have already notified everyone that the weather information is still available on your weather page with a provided link. Perhaps the message and link should be refreshed daily for a week or two to make sure that everyone sees it.
 [tup]

[cheers1]

My sympathies,
Herb

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2015, 06:47:54 PM »
meteoperugia, I am probably missing some facts, but it sounds like you are trying to use FB/Twitter as nothing more than a substitute for a mass emailing. Sure, FB/Twitter has a "prettier" interface, but it seems to have forced people to abandon simple, plain text, fast, and quite flexible emailing. Not to mention that it goes to exactly the people you want to reach, not just 'imaginary friends';)

My point is basically the same as Edouard's, you can't rely on a "service" for whom you are not a customer. Email still works, even if you "garbage it up" with images (embedded and remote), backgrounds, color, html, and animations. [tup]

I could send every morning a post card too....   [lol2]

I'm joking but I don't really think that send an email and post a telegraphic Tweet is exactly the same. Or Twitter would not have had the success it has had (the same applies to face Book).
Maybe an email could be more complete without problem of 140 digit and could containing multimedia as pictures, video, tables, graphics and whatever you want. But a short message I think is more incisive for a quick for "disposable reading".
That people aren't imaginary friends but simply people living in the same area of my weather station and had freely chosen to follow a FB or Twitter account to be updated with latest weather information when and if they need it. Not so different from people registering to a mailing list in order to receive receive newsletter. Ultimately it is the same thing and I could solve doing as you suggest .... and maybe I will. It bothers me that there is a system to continue to do as I did before because the system worked and was also appreciated publicly. It more (and more) bothers me that other stations under Windows continue updating social platforms (I don't know how but I'm detecting about it  :D)
And unfortunately I'm not able to edit my own apple script.

It was nice while it lasted. Maybe it will be nice again when and if it could starting over. Meanwhile I can easily do without it  [tup]

Thanks for tips and hints and all the best.  [cheers1]

Federico

P.S.: YES, I've noticed that who needs weather data can reach my website with smartphone, pad or computer and see all informations and more.  [tup]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need a new Mac and . . . . (Was: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2015, 09:58:55 PM »
Dear Federico, Herb, and WeatherCat armchair computer consultants,

@Edouard: I also own a mac book pro but I sacrificed the old imac for Weather Cat and all other dirty jobs that need a desktop computer. Sooner or later I'll have to replace it with a new one (working 24/7 since 2006 it has had enough) and then I will be able to upgrade to Weather Cat 2 and everything else. ;)

Well, you might find it very much in your interest to consider that upgrade sooner than later.  You never know what might be in the pipeline.

Still given the choice of having 100 phony friends on Facebook seems better than to realize that - you don't have any real friends at all.

Edouard

Quite a statement, coming from someone who admittedly does not participate. You're over generalizing.

Well, I have a story for you.  Recently I was walking around a local middle school that was hosting some sort of weekend event for kids.  Parents were coming and going and parking was difficult.  A family had parked just in front of me and stopped the car.  As I walked past I could see the husband and wife both glued to their respective smart-phones, checking on their messages.  I could see that there was absolutely no interaction between the parents, so none of these messages were family business.  Instead, these messages are individual for each of the parents.  Now this is a local school, they couldn't have traveled more than 20 minutes from their last opportunity to check these messages.  Nonetheless, both parents couldn't resist checking their own personal messages.    It is possible that the kid in back may have been doing the same - I couldn't see.  At least two people in that car were somewhere else from the event at hand.  If this is the family of the future, how long can it endure?

You may think I'm exaggerating, I fear that the situation is more extreme than I'm imagining.

Oh well, . . . . Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
The time to upgrade has arrived! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2015, 10:34:18 PM »
Dear Federico and WeatherCat social media fans,

Well, the time to upgrade that iMac has definitely arrived!!

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1697.msg14796#msg14796

Start shoppin' . . . . . .  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2015, 09:15:56 AM »
Apparently I'm forced to do it. I'm out of excuses!!!  ;)

Stu sometimes seems distracted but is always very attentive...!!!  [lol2]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2015, 02:24:05 PM »

If you do it now, you can once again Tweet the weather to your thousands of weather fans (see http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.msg11547#msg11547).
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2015, 03:36:21 PM »
If you do it now, you can once again Tweet
Oh, the unspeakable joy!! OTOH, if it's good enough for the POTUS, who am I to judge...

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2015, 06:52:14 PM »

If you do it now, you can once again Tweet the weather to your thousands of weather fans (see http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=1039.msg11547#msg11547).

I was clearly self-ironic about thousands of weather fans...... but my English is very bad.

Edouard sent me a link to new features of WeatherCat2 pushing me (was a joke about that 10yr old Higlander Mac)  to buy (finally) a new computer but if you really think I was in the Apple Store in the afternoon just to tweet  tomorrow morning TEMP and RH to the city, you're wrong..........I'll go there tomorrow!
Sorry, I'm ironic again........sarcasm is different and I don't like it. ;)

Peace'n'love ;)
Federico

P.S. About the second post: POTUS in italian means "alcohol addiction"....  but I guess Obama doesn't know it!  [cheers1]  [biggrin]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2015, 10:21:40 PM »
Federico, your English is just fine. I already knew you were making a joke and I like your sense of humour.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2015, 04:04:10 AM »
meteoperugia, not only is your English perfect, but you seem to have a good grasp on certain politicos! [tup] OTOH, every President has that title for a few years! :P

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2015, 04:40:01 PM »
Edouard, what's the best way to communicate with you about your scripts? This thread details Twitter, so other questions could easily get buried and difficult to find with 'Search'. OTOH, I don't want to litter the "WC Integration" section with detailed questions. As you may have guessed, I'm being supported by some car enthusiasts in northern CA who are trying to sabotage some people with station wagons. [bounce] [cheer] [banghead]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Whatever you prefer. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat scripters,

Edouard, what's the best way to communicate with you about your scripts?

It really doesn't matter.  This forum software always indicates when new postings are added to an old thread.  So you could ask them here.  If you prefer, you could start a new thread.

Alas, as already reported to you via PM, these scripts are very old and weary.  Also, the changes to OS X make it harder to run them.  I wish I could give them a major overall, but the "to-do" list never seems to get shorter.

As you may have guessed, I'm being supported by some car enthusiasts in northern CA who are trying to sabotage some people with station wagons. [bounce] [cheer] [banghead]

Why am I not surprised . . . .

Edouard . . .