Author Topic: Welcome to Autumn 2017  (Read 8371 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome to Autumn 2017
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:08:19 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the changing seasons,

About an hour ago as I type, the earth passed through the Autumnal Equinox, so we are now officially in Autumn.  Normally, Autumn doesn't take hold in California for at least another month.  However, the extreme heat and low humidities of this Summer have taken a real toll on the trees that don't get some extra water.  As a result, some of the trees are already starting to turn.  Here is a group of red and yellow leaves:

Here is a tree that always looks splendid in the fall turning much earlier than I can ever remember:

Autumn is normally a time when thoughts turn to cooler weather, but that's not the case in California.  Storms that start to pass into Washington and Oregon generate off-shore winds like the famous "Santa Anas" of Southern California.  The Climate Predication Center is forecasting above normal temperatures for California out to 14 days.  As a result, one can expect more trees shed their leaves in exhaustion and that air conditioners will still be working hard into the middle of October.

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. So does anybody else have some autumn photos that they would like to share?

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Another exhausted tree. (Re: Welcome to Autumn 2017)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the changing seasons,

This morning I spotted this tree in another part of the neighborhood:

I only had my iPhone but this tree was already losing its leaves at such a rapid rate that I wasn't sure I would ever get back to it with my DSLR before it was essentially gone.  At the moment it appears that California season of color may be very short-lived indeed!

Oh well, . . . . . Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Welcome to Autumn 2017
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:07:11 AM »
This is what autumn looked like for me this afternoon.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Welcome to Autumn 2017)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 10:17:10 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

This is what autumn looked like for me this afternoon.

Thanks for sharing the cool image (figuratively and literally.)  I wish you could send me some of that snow.  It is definitely going to be a hot and unpleasant week.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:24:16 AM »
24 hours after my previous photo, it looked like this. We received 15 inches of snow over the weekend. Because the aspen trees still had all their green leaves, the wet snow broke all kinds of tree limbs and split trunks. We couldn't get back to our home after church on Sunday because I thought I had mounted our snow tires on the 4-Runner but half way up the mountain I learned better. We had to park lower down and call a neighbor who is smarter than me (not difficult to accomplish) to come bring us home.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Welcome to your 8 months of winter (Re: Autumn 2017)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 10:17:53 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat users who must cope with the changing seasons,

24 hours after my previous photo, it looked like this. We received 15 inches of snow over the weekend. Because the aspen trees still had all their green leaves, the wet snow broke all kinds of tree limbs and split trunks. We couldn't get back to our home after church on Sunday because I thought I had mounted our snow tires on the 4-Runner but half way up the mountain I learned better. We had to park lower down and call a neighbor who is smarter than me (not difficult to accomplish) to come bring us home.

Sorry that you found yourself marooned after failing to prepare for Winter's early start.  Not that it is much consolation, clearly the aspen trees weren't much better prepared!

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
California's stark contrasts (Re: Autumn 2017)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

This morning I decided to see if I could capture the contrast between the falling leaves and the burnt grasses on the hillsides.  This photo I think captures the contrast nicely although the light wasn't very strong:

This photo suffered more from the high clouds, but contrast is still obvious:

If it wasn't for the landscaping that people maintain, even the Northern regions of California would be a very harsh and demanding environment indeed.  It is hardly a surprise that "wild" animal seek the resources that can only be found in people's backyards.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
More brown and yellow (Re: Autumn 2017)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 11:21:43 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the season's turning,

This morning we had our arborist come by to check which trees need trimming before the winter storms arrive.  The weather continues to be dry and varies from cool to a bit warm.  Under these conditions the trees continue to lose their leaves, especially those completely in the wild.  Here is another contrast between a tree with yellow leaves and the burnt brown hillsides:

My camera seems to have trouble handling these extremes.  There was brilliant sunshine today, but the yellow of the leaves is washed out nonetheless.  Nonetheless, the camera can capture the yellow by itself as demonstrated by this example:

The season should continue for at least another 2 weeks, but might not last to November.

Cheers, Edouard

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 12:54:30 PM »
Hi all,
The trees are just starting to change here - we went with the family for a walk in the woods yesterday, Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!
We are supposed to get Nate remnants this afternoon and tonight, so not sure how much a couple inches of rain and a bit of blowing will do to deter the foliage watching! LOL

Bill

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »
Beautiful foliage Bill. Thanks for sharing. We had our second snowstorm of the season yesterday. Just an inch, but once again, snow and early freezes have dulled our fall colours.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Welcome to Autumn 2017)
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
Dear Bill, Blick, and WeatherCat observers of the colors of Autumn,

The trees are just starting to change here - we went with the family for a walk in the woods yesterday, Canadian Thanksgiving weekend!

Beautiful!  :)  Thanks for sharing that photo with us!  ThU32:-)

We are supposed to get Nate remnants this afternoon and tonight, so not sure how much a couple inches of rain and a bit of blowing will do to deter the foliage watching! LOL

Interesting how you will end up with more than an inch of rain from Nate while Tennessee ultimately hardly got any rain and it was projected to be directly in the storm's path.  Hurricanes are truly fickle storms.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 11:28:59 PM »
Nate was weak to begin with and quickly faded to nothing but a weak low pressure area. It's lateral speed was its "downfall"! 'Slow and steady wins the race' and gives time to build intensity. Works for turtles and hurricanes, I guess! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

bcurry

• Strong Breeze
    • CWOP EW 1820
    • INOVASCO73
    • Coastal Port Maitland, Nova Scotia, Canada
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2 on Mac Studio running Ventura (Mac OS 13) and WeatherCat 3
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
Just FWIW - we got the remnants of Nate last night here in Nova Scotia. I got 1.55" of rain in my CoCoRaHS tube (39 mm) and most of that came down in a 1 hour rush around 1 am. We only had winds of 17 knots, so by our standards a pretty tame experience for wind speeds.

Bill

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:04 PM »
Sunday's night wind storm knocked down a 75-foot Ponderosa Pine that was in front of the house. It grazed the house. Fortunately, the only damage was a couple of deck railings demolished. We were lucky that it didn't hit the house. But, we've got weeks of clean up ahead of us.

The wind storm also brought us the Lobo fire. We are 3/4 of a mile east of the mandatory evacuation zone. We are without power, have intermittent telephone service, and the DSL is down. Cell service is poor because some towers were damaged. But we're doing fine. We have a bag packed in case we have to evacuate.

It's a lot like camping out in your own home: flashlights, minimal water, toilets that you can't flush, and the smell of wood smoke in the air. Not to worry. It could have been worse. It's just one of life's adventures.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
Sounds like you are prepared for the worst. Be SAFE!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system