Author Topic: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01  (Read 89732 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Need your email Frederico! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:16 PM »
Hi Frederico and WeatherCat Twitter fans,

I was just joking Mate. They aren't real fans. They are just around 500 people following weather updates for few years and now since I stoped to post data and forecast I receiving every day anoying messages asking for resume "the service".

Edouard could save my mailbox...  ;D

Alas, I can't save your mailbox without knowing your email address so that I can email you the scripts!  I sent you a Private Message with my email address.  Could you send me an email so that I can get these scripts to you?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2014, 09:31:08 AM »
Sorry Edouard,
I've replied yesterday to your address xxx@mac.com and now with a PM......
....and I thought my address was visible in my forum profile.

[cheers1]
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
AppleScripts sent! (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2014, 09:47:40 PM »
Hi Frederico and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

My turn to be sorry . . . .  :-[

I've replied yesterday to your address xxx@mac.com and now with a PM......
....and I thought my address was visible in my forum profile.

Not sure why I didn't get your direct email.  Perhaps it got tagged as spam.  However, I got your PM and sent you a reply with all the AppleScripts.  Let me know if I gave you enough info to get them working!

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), WeatherCat 3
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2014, 09:39:32 AM »
Edouard the Great!!! [cheers1]

Weather updating is running again as to FaceBook as to Twitter!

Federico
Perugia, Italy

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2014, 03:29:40 PM »
Edouard,

If you need another beta tester, you know where to send it. ;)

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Hurray!!! and code signing woes (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »
Hi Frederico, Steve, and WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

Weather updating is running again as to FaceBook as to Twitter!

Hurray!!  [tup]  This was looking like one of those uphill battles  [banghead], but after all, these AppleScripts were mostly developed on Snow Leopard and that is what Frederico is running right now.  So perhaps the script will run better than it can on later versions of OS X.

If you need another beta tester, you know where to send it. ;)

Beware of what you wish for . . . . . you might get it!!

The WeatherCat "sekret" agents . . . . .

have been struggling with another upgrade to WC Status Growler that is now locking horns with the latest version of Apple's code signing requirement.  I may be beaten and will have pay the tariff to be officially registered as an Apple developer so that I can sign these AppleScripts.  That could delay any releases . . . . sorry gang, but it just t'aint easy! 

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Bug in WC Status Growler (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 11:32:22 PM »
Dear WeatherCat AppleScript fans,

All through my struggles with sensor errors on my station, I had noticed that my WC Status Growler AppleScript very rarely reported these errors.  Although when it did it would blast my display with lots of notifications.  I never had a chance to figure out why until now.  Alas, I am a victim of cutting and pasting some code a bit too quickly.  I forgot to change a parameter so that the sensor errors weren't actually being passed to the correct handler (function.)  I also found another stupid mistake that explains why the errors were occasionally being displayed with great frequency.

I'm struggling to finally get another release of these AppleScripts, but if you need to have WC Status Growler reporting correctly communication timeout errors, communication validation errors, or station sensor errors, let me know, and  I'll get a patch out to you.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2015, 12:21:44 AM »
Don't you hate those "stupid mistakes"?! I'm still looking for a way to make "smart" ones, however. If I ever get a site up, I'm sure I'll be stealing... using some of your scripting efforts! [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Hurray!!! and code signing woes (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2015, 06:37:48 AM »

You are still Edouard the Great to us.
Blick

meteoperugia

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW0950
    • IPERUG54
    • MeteoPerugia
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 02:48:08 PM »
About posting weather data from Weather Cat to Face Book and/or Twitter account that's the state of the art:

Unfortunately, from April 15 it is no longer possible (apparently) post automatically weather data using the script of Edouard. I've looked for information and alerts about it on Face Book help pages and in the web, but could not find anything. It just doesen't work anymore nor is longer displayed the secret address to which I sent the post in the specific section (mobile) of FB. The Edouard's script is operating normally an emails are delivered but Face Book does not allow to load with "post-by-email" option the contents of the object of an email (blank) sent by the script to a "secret" specific address associated to a FB page.
The script WC Twitter Emailer updated a FB page (and from there a Twitter account) every 2 hours with weather data collected by Weather Cat but now, after abandonment of 3rd party libraries for Twitter and the elimination of this shortcut via FB, I no longer have a way to upload weather data.
Further stations operated under Windows do regularly weather data adding photos or graphics too (not sure how) but with OSX seems to be currently a difficult procedure.

It may be desirable in the future the possibility of integrating Weather Cat with the most famous social network in order to post weather data at predetermined intervals .... but as long as I don't buy a new computer will not be able to hope even in this remote possibility that will involve only Weather Cat 2 and at the moment I can't install it with Snow Leopard OS. Never mind!  [blush]

Edouard is still the greatest!  [cheer]

Federico
Federico
Perugia, Italy

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sorry to hear that. (Re: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 10:30:22 PM »
Dear Federico and WeatherCat Scripters,

Unfortunately, from April 15 it is no longer possible (apparently) post automatically weather data using the script of Edouard.

Sorry to hear that.  Unfortunately that is the real peril of all this "cloud computing" stuff.  I have always felt better when I was paying for something.  In that case companies have a greater incentive to take care of you since you can take your money somewhere else if they don't.

It may be desirable in the future the possibility of integrating Weather Cat with the most famous social network in order to post weather data at predetermined intervals .... but as long as I don't buy a new computer will not be able to hope even in this remote possibility that will involve only Weather Cat 2 and at the moment I can't install it with Snow Leopard OS.

Can't you manage to find an affordable way to get a new Mac?  You really are missing out on all sorts of neat features with WeatherCat 2.x and I can tell you that the WeatherCat "sekret" agents are busy testing Stu's latest updates.  So you really falling behind.

Edouard is still the greatest!  [cheer]

Well, thanks for the praise, but I can say I try to do the best I can!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:59 PM »
Unfortunately that is the real peril of all this "cloud computing" stuff. I have always felt better when I was paying for something.
Sorry, but it has nothing to do with "cloud". And you are paying to use their "service". You are paying by giving them all the info about you and your habits/friends/purchases/etc. that they can get. And you are not their customer and never will be. You are their product, your data is what they sell to make money that pays hundreds of times over what you get. Since they have millions of "products" to sell, your individual value is extremely small. You can leave but your data will remain, practically forever, and they figure there are millions more like you buying new devices to connect to them. You don't want to be wanted by these social site? Too bad. [lol] [banghead]

Of course, that's just my opinion, and I'm in the extremely small minority. Don't bother trying to leave a message on my wall, or send me a tweet; I get lots of birds tweeting in my backyard, between the fences! [wink]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Making good choices about "free" (Was: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2015, 11:28:51 PM »
Dear xairbusdriver and WeatherCat observers of Internet economic trends,

Unfortunately that is the real peril of all this "cloud computing" stuff. I have always felt better when I was paying for something.

Sorry, but it has nothing to do with "cloud". And you are paying to use their "service".

No, the matter is more complex than that.  It depends on the services you use and how you use them.  In this case I was thinking about the transition from Mobile-Me to iCloud.  When I was paying for Mobile-Me, I thought I could demand better service for the things that mattered to me - mainly my dot-Mac email account.  Apple cannot make much of profit by scanning my emails at at least publicly claims they won't do that.  Apple has a real incentive to keep that promise because they make their money when I buy their products.  Knowing what I write on my emails isn't likely to give them much of an advantage in designing the next Mac and iPhones.

You are paying by giving them all the info about you and your habits/friends/purchases/etc. that they can get.

I think this also misses the mark.  Google makes money finding out what you are looking for on the web.  Well, I use Google for everything from finding out how to spell something correctly to looking for parts for my trusty 1965 Buick wagon.  So what Google can take advantage is very much under my control to some degree.  I'm not worried about Google trying to expand into the Buick parts market - indeed if they were stupid enough to do that - I'm all for it!  At the same time, I deliberately feed Google "misinformation."  I use Google as a rich-text to plain text converter when I need that.  Google is wonderful for converting rainfall values from inches to millimeters.  In the end you can decide if search engines are going to make much money on you or not.

Sites like Facebook and Twitter aren't making money on you directy, they are counting on you to be their "content providers."  That's why I - don't - participate in either.  I do have a Twitter account, but it is only used to send weather data and that was to debug my AppleScripts.  Once more you have a choice at to where you put your content for others to enjoy.  In my case a lot of my content ends up on forums that I feel are more focused on my interests and my contributions at least can be better received.

Phenomena like Facebook and Twitter are tapping into some deep psychological needs of especially younger people.  It doesn't take a psychologist to realize that loneliness is an epidemic and children of broken families are feeling especially vulnerable.  Unfortunately, all this is a folly in it is own right.  The fear of being completely alone leads to many shallow relationships and much turmoil that could be avoided.  Still given the choice of having 100 phony friends on Facebook seems better than to realize that - you don't have any real friends at all.

Edouard

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2015, 12:07:19 AM »
Hi Edouard and WC Scripters
 Edouard just write me a good AppleScript so I can winning the lottery and all will be happy [biggrin]

cheers
 [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Me first! (Was: WeatherCat Scripts of 2013-12-01)
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2015, 11:19:53 PM »
Dear Randall and WeatherCat users not content with getting money the old fashion way - by earning it!

Edouard just write me a good AppleScript so I can winning the lottery and all will be happy [biggrin]

Sufferin' succotash, if I could write an AppleScript like that - I would be happy!