Author Topic: FYI: ACDSee Mac Pro 3 on sale - $29.95  (Read 3164 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
FYI: ACDSee Mac Pro 3 on sale - $29.95
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

I'm still searching for a replacement for iPhoto.  The outfit that makes my drawing/illustration software Canvas also makes a photo management workflow program called ACDSee.  Their Mac version of this software is on sale until August 4th:

http://www.acdsee.com/en/products/acdsee-pro-3-mac

The regular price is a steep $99.95.  At $29.95, that's a 70% discount.  Unfortunately, it isn't really up to the task of replacing iPhoto because it doesn't have any database of image information.  But that limitation is an advantage in other contexts.  If you want a manager of images that are simply stored on your hard drive, ACDSee is a clean and capable tool for that role.  It also has some potent image processing tools that can be used in a batch mode.

Definitely a specialty tool, but perhaps useful for somebody.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: FYI: ACDSee Mac Pro 3 on sale - $29.95
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:25:22 PM »
I'm still searching for a replacement for iPhoto.

Here is a list to consider: http://alternativeto.net/software/iphoto/?platform=mac
Blick

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:04:24 AM »
I used to use Aperture, but since Apple stopped supporting it, I have switched to Lightroom. Both are highly recommended, but not cheap.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Probably have to swallow Lightroom (Was: FYI: ACDSee Mac Pro 3)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 11:33:53 PM »
Dear Blick, Alan, and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

Here is a list to consider: http://alternativeto.net/software/iphoto/?platform=mac

Thanks for the list.  Alas, I didn't find anything new that looked like a reasonable replacement for iPhoto.

I used to use Aperture, but since Apple stopped supporting it, I have switched to Lightroom. Both are highly recommended, but not cheap.

I've been expected that i would have to make this switch to Lightroom, but I've been dreading it because of the steep learning curve.  I suppose there are no problems importing your iPhoto data and images.  Is there any way to move albums from Lightroom to an iOS device within Lightroom?  That is one feature of iPhoto I'm sure going to miss.

Cheers, Edouard

Alan Rowley

• Strong Breeze
  • It is far better to wear out than to rust away.
    • D3696
    • INOTTING15
    • Selston Weather
  • Station Details: Weather station: Davis Vantage Pro2. Software: WeatherCat. Computer: Mac Mini, High Sierra OS
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:49 AM »
I bought an excellent book called 'Lightroom - Classroom In A Book'. It has a series of lessons to work your way through and when I had completed the tasks I was an expert. Well, not really, but I knew enough to get me going.

Lightroom now has an importer from iPhoto and Aperture. I didn't use them as I preferred to start afresh, but apparently they work well.

After a few months, I now prefer Lightroom to Aperture.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for the suggestions. (Was: FYI: ACDSee Mac Pro 3)
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 07:35:47 PM »
Dear Alan and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . 

I bought an excellent book called 'Lightroom - Classroom In A Book'. It has a series of lessons to work your way through and when I had completed the tasks I was an expert. Well, not really, but I knew enough to get me going.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I gave myself a reminder to look into this book.

Lightroom now has an importer from iPhoto and Aperture. I didn't use them as I preferred to start afresh, but apparently they work well.

That's important for me because I have decades of pictures going back to my film days and I don't want to lose access to all that.

After a few months, I now prefer Lightroom to Aperture.

I really have no alternative it seems.  I just need to find a calmer time to take the plunge.  The struggles with my 50 year old classic station wagon will have to be resolved by the middle of September. With a bit of luck, I can take this project on sometime after that.

Thanks again, Edouard