Author Topic: Keyspan USA28X-B driver for Mavericks?  (Read 5964 times)

beachcomber

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro, Mac mini 10.6.8
Keyspan USA28X-B driver for Mavericks?
« on: July 31, 2015, 10:10:07 PM »
I have been running my old Davis Vantage Pro with a serial port output for many years on a dedicated MacMini 2,1 with OS 10.6.8 and WeatherCat 1.2.1 and it has been rock solid with the old Keyspan v2.5 32 bit driver. The time has come, however, to upgrade to a newer machine (a 2009 Mini with Mavericks) because of security and lifetime concerns, and also a desire to use the latest WeatherCat.

What has me stalled is finding the right driver for the Keyspan USA28X-B that will work for Mavericks. I gather it needs to be 64 bit now. I have seen posts here that there is a 2.6.4 version that works but I have not found it on the Tripplite site.

Can anyone point me to the link for this (or other Mavericks compatible) driver?

Is it likely that Yosemie or El Capitain operating systems will run with this serial port system or am I at the end of the line with the Vantage Pro?

Thanks,
Tony

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Keyspan USA-19HS (?) (Re: Keyspan USA28X-B driver for Mavericks?)
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 11:09:29 PM »
Dear Tony and WeatherCat "seasoned weather station fans,"

I have been running my old Davis Vantage Pro with a serial port output for many years on a dedicated MacMini 2,1 with OS 10.6.8 and WeatherCat 1.2.1 and it has been rock solid with the old Keyspan v2.5 32 bit driver. The time has come, however, to upgrade to a newer machine (a 2009 Mini with Mavericks) because of security and lifetime concerns, and also a desire to use the latest WeatherCat.

What has me stalled is finding the right driver for the Keyspan USA28X-B that will work for Mavericks. I gather it needs to be 64 bit now. I have seen posts here that there is a 2.6.4 version that works but I have not found it on the Tripplite site.

Can anyone point me to the link for this (or other Mavericks compatible) driver?

I don't see your serial adapter still being supported, but it appears Tripp makes another serial adapter that still supports all versions of OS X.  Here it is listed at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-High-Speed-supports/dp/B0000VYJRY

It doesn't seem like to great an expense to put your station back in operation.

Is it likely that Yosemie or El Capitain operating systems will run with this serial port system or am I at the end of the line with the Vantage Pro?

Well, if you haven't started saving your pennies for a station upgrade, it is probably time.  Parts for your old station are already very hard to come by and support for serial devices is also becoming hard to come by.

Cheers, Edouard

HantaYo

• Strong Breeze
    • CW3993
    • KCOSALID1
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro Plus via Keyspan Serial/USB adapator running on 10.9.4
Re: Keyspan USA28X-B driver for Mavericks?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:28:00 AM »
I am running a Keyspan  serial adapter USA-19HS on Mavericks.  Do not know what driver I am using though.  It  just has worked over various OS upgrades and a new computer.

WxOwl

• Gentle Breeze
    • W6DSP AT649
    • KINHUNTI6
    • W6DSP Home Page
  • Station Details: Davis VP2, 24hr fars, MacMini Server-OS10.13
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
Tony,

I use Keyspan adapters USA-19QW and USA-49WG running under both Yosemite and El Capitan beta (not WeatherCat related projects). The latest driver version, 4.0, is listed on the Tripplite site as :
   USA-19HS Driver (Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.10)
The installer lists the USA-28X along with some 18 other models supported by this driver.
It can be downloaded at:

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/software/Driver/USA-19HS-Driver-v4-Mac-OS-X-10.9-10.10.zip

Regards,
David

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks for the info. (Re: Keyspan USA28X-B driver)
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 12:04:09 AM »
Dear David and WeatherCat community,

The latest driver version, 4.0, is listed on the Tripplite site as :
   USA-19HS Driver (Mac OS X 10.9 to 10.10)
The installer lists the USA-28X along with some 18 other models supported by this driver.

Thanks for sharing this.  It should be listed on their website but I didn't spot it.  So without your input we couldn't have known that this serial dongle was still supported.

Cheers, Edouard

beachcomber

• Calm
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro, Mac mini 10.6.8
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 08:08:49 PM »
Dear David;
Thank you very much indeed for discovering the Keyspan USA 19HS-D driver. I will download it and go ahead with the setup of my new Mini.
I will let the community know what happens

Awesome support.

Tony

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Forum at its best! (Re: Keyspan USA28X-B driver for Mavericks?)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:12:06 PM »
Dear Tony, David, and WeatherCat forum gentlemen,

Awesome support.

Indeed isn't this what a forum experience should be like?  I sure wish all of the forums I depend upon for information were this good!

Cheers, Edouard