Author Topic: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015  (Read 10375 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
Ha ha. Thanks for the laugh. That is a nice selfie.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Chewing too . . (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:55:53 PM »
Dear Michael, Blick, X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat photo critics . . .

Fortunately, at least we can count on the deer not to take selfies . . . . So that leaves it upon us to get snapshots of the critters.  Here is a yearling buck:

Here you can see da' critter in its "normal state:" . . .

Oh, by the way, what this buck is munching on is normally not deerlicious . . . .

Go figure!

Edouard

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 04:16:01 AM »
Are those mule deer you've got out there? All we have here are whitetail deer. And the only other largish critters are the ever more common coyote, the rare black bear, and the even rarer bobcat (both more likely in the south and east portion of Ohio.) Anything else is groundhog sized or smaller.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
You had to ask . . . . (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 10:01:48 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat frustrated property owners, . . . .

Are those mule deer you've got out there?

;) . . . . How should I know?  Da' darn critters don't come with identification tags or nuthin' . . . .   ;D

In a situation like this, there is only thing to do, look up mule deer in Wikipedia . . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mule_deer

As soon as I looked - I was ever so sorry I did!

Some of the more disturbing quotes include:

"Mule deer readily adapt to agricultural products and landscape plantings."

It goes on to list the following foods that Mule Deer eat:

The most common plant species consumed by mule deer are:

Among trees and shrubs: Artemisia tridentata (big sagebrush), Cercocarpus ledifolius (curlleaf mountain mahogany), Cercocarpus montanus (true mountain mahogany), Cowania mexicana (Mexican cliffrose), Populus tremuloides (quaking aspen), Purshia tridentata (antelope bitterbrush), Quercus gambelii (Gambel oak), and Rhus trilobata (skunkbush sumac).[15]
    Among forbs: Achillea millefolium (western yarrow), Antennaria sp. (pussytoes), Artemisia frigida (fringed sagebrush), Artemisia ludoviciana (Louisiana sagewort), Aster spp., Astragalus sp. (milkvetch), Balsamorhiza sagittata (arrowleaf balsamroot), Cirsium sp. (thistle), Erigeron spp. (fleabane), Geranium sp., Lactuca serriola (prickly lettuce), Lupinus spp. (lupine), Medicago sativa (alfalfa), Penstemon spp., Phlox spp., Polygonum sp. (knotweed/smartweed), Potentilla spp. (cinquefoil), Taraxacum officinale (dandelion), Tragopogon dubius (western salsify), Trifolium sp. (clover), and Vicia americana (American vetch).[15]
    Among grasses and grasslike species: Agropyron, Elymus (wheatgrasses), Elytrigia, Pascopyrum sp. (wheatgrasses), Pseudoroegneria spicatum (bluebunch wheatgrass), Bromus tectorum (cheatgrass), Carex spp. (sedge), Festuca idahoensis (Idaho fescue), Poa fendleriana (muttongrass), Poa pratensis (Kentucky bluegrass), and other Poa spp. (bluegrass).[15]

Mule deer have also been known to eat ricegrass, gramagrass, bromegrass, and needlegrass, as well as antelope brush, bearberry, bitter cherry, bitterbrush, black oak, California buckeye, ceanothus, cedar, cliffrose, cottonwood, creek dogwood, creeping barberry, dogwood, Douglas fir, elderberry, fendlera, goldeneye, holly-leaf buckthrorn, jack pine, knotweed, kohleria, manzanita, mesquite, oak, pine, rabbitbrush, ragweed, redberry, scrub oak, serviceberry (including Pacific serviceberry), Sierra juniper, silktassel, snowberry, stonecrop, sunflower, tesota, thimbleberry, turbinella oak, velvet elder, western chokecherry, wild cherry, and wild oats.[19] Where available, mule deer also eat a variety of wild mushrooms, which are most abundant in late summer and fall in the southern Rocky Mountains; mushrooms provide moisture, protein, phosphorus, and potassium.[14][19]

And you know what's the worst part of it . . . the list is woefully incomplete!!  >:(

All we have here are whitetail deer. And the only other largish critters are the ever more common coyote, the rare black bear, and the even rarer bobcat (both more likely in the south and east portion of Ohio.) Anything else is groundhog sized or smaller.

Alas, the San Francisco Bay Area is rapidly becoming more like Los Angeles with what little open space either being made into parks, or built upon.  So besides deer there is very little in the way of wild animals.  Coyotes are sighted in the neighborhood, but that's about the only other large animal.  There are Mountain lions in parks not to far away, but these are solidarity hunters who are very unlikely to stray into populated areas.

[wink] . . . . Too bad though, those hairless apes of the quasi-human variety seem seriously overpopulated.  There is a need for a new top predictor to thin the herds and a prolific one at that! . . . . 

;) Edouard . . .

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Adults getting into the act. (Re: "Drinkin'" - 2015)
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 10:07:41 PM »
Dear WeatherCat . .  ;) . .  "supporters of deer temperance" . . . .

;) . . . I'm afraid as usually happens, now the adults are getting into "drinkin'" . . . . .

Of course they try to look innocent about it:

But eventually they give in to da' temptation . . . . .   [biggrin]

Seriously, I've been surprised at how little the deer have been hitting our bird baths this summer.  We are having more frequent heat waves and I have to believe that the only water to be found is thanks to kindness of humans.  Perhaps other neighbors are also putting out water.  Certainly the new aggressive dogs in the neighborhood would be reason for the deer to get water elsewhere if they can find it.

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
The royal nap . . . . .(Re: "Drinkin'" - 2015)
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »
Dear WeatherCat . .  ;) . .  "supporters of deer temperance" . . . .

I finished up with some work on my trusty wagon, looked out the window and saw . . . this!

As you can see by the empty dish to the right, our "royal highness" had also gotten into the drink and obviously was a little woozy and so took a nap on the spot!

Here is another view:

No doubt about it, quite a fine collection of venison on the hoof!   By the way our royal stag wasn't simply going bad by "drinkin'" . . .  There was a doe and her fawns in the same part of the yard.  It seems that the rut has started early and this character also had sex on its mind.

Just another day in the "paradise" of California . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 06:04:38 PM »
Great pictures Edouard (as always!)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
A little TOO easy . . (Re: "Drinkin'" - 2015)
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
Dear Stu and WeatherCat shutterbugs, . . .

Great pictures Edouard (as always!)

Well, thanks but really the key was having the "model" so close.  Indeed a little TOO close.  I only needed my 135mm telephoto.  More disturbing, last night I rushed out that same back door in order to do some watering and the "royal highness" was once more "napping" no more than 10 feet away!  Fortunately he was more scared than me!

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 10:54:16 PM »
On our last day in Seattle, making good use of the Public Library interweb! We spent nearly two weeks in the Canadian Rockies and saw some 'cool' weather! Also saw some interesting four-legged animals, most of which would not be as compliant at Edouard's watering hole! I was fine observing this one fro the bus! ;)
We did see some not-too-intelligent two legged animals approaching a bull elk! This is rutting season and I suspect the bull would have been just as happy using a boney humanoid as a tree to sharpen his antlers! I guess these people thought they were in some kind of 'zoo' rather than a wild animal sanctuary. :o

Seems the lower Canadian Rockies have had the same lack of precip as has been reported all the way down to LAX. However, they had an early taste of what was coming, with an inch of snow in Banff and several more up in the mountains. They claimed they ran their snow making machines nearly all last Winter. Hopefully some of this humid air will get south of the border soon.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for da' Bear . . (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 11:52:40 PM »
Dear X-Air and WeatherCat wild critter observers,

Thanks for the photo of the bear.  Since I graduated from U.C. Berkeley and our team mascot is the California golden bear, bears always have a special place in my heart.  Just one silly thing, I don't there are any California golden bears left in the wild! . . .  :o

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 07:40:58 PM »
We live in the Wasatch Mountain Range at about 8,300 feet. We are 30 minutes removed from the closest town. I just took this picture through our kitchen window. You can see my irrigation drip line running across the ground there. We are attempting to get about a dozen Blue Spruce trees started. You can see new growth on the end of the branches. It is light blue in colour.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Who owns what? (Re: "Drinkin'" Juvenile Delinquents - 2015)
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 10:06:01 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat wildlife caregivers,

We live in the Wasatch Mountain Range at about 8,300 feet. We are 30 minutes removed from the closest town. I just took this picture through our kitchen window.

Thanks for the cute picture!  Yup, the deer consider us to be a real nuisance but they put up with us because we put out such a banquet of deerlicious plants.  Right now my worst wildlife pest problem is a family of turkeys. 

You can see my irrigation drip line running across the ground there. We are attempting to get about a dozen Blue Spruce trees started. You can see new growth on the end of the branches. It is light blue in colour.

Best of luck getting those trees going.  We had created 4 Euryops plants from cuttings and I had to transplant them this summer.  The poor things have really struggled in the heat and I almost lost one of them.  Drought is definitely about the worst time to try to get any plant established.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 06:55:37 AM »
Is she pregnant?
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2015, 08:58:46 AM »
Is she pregnant?

I had the same thought when I first saw her, but I think not. Way too late in the season for that. I think it just looks that way because of how she is laying. However, I didn't get a chance to ask her. She ran off when I opened the door.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
 [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin]
 [coffee]
 [biggrin]