Author Topic: WeatherCat can not find Davis Vantage Pro 2  (Read 2582 times)

fusion2u

• Calm
    • KFLSTUAR12
WeatherCat can not find Davis Vantage Pro 2
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
Hello to all,

I upgraded to a new iMac 27 running Mountain Lion. I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with the date logger serial to usb converter. This unit has worked fine when i was running leopard and snow leopard . I download the suggested drivers but there is no connetion between weatherCat and my Vantage Pro 2. Any thoughts? i am currently running my weather station on my laptop which is snow leopard as we are feeling the effects of tropical storm isaac. Thanks in advance for any help

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Try searching forum (Re: WeatherCat can not find Davis Vantage Pro 2)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 10:20:24 PM »
Dear Fusion2u and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

First welcome to the WeatherCat forum!!

Unfortunately, folks are having a lot of trouble trying to use serial to USB converters as Apple keeps changing OS-X.  There have been a number of threads on this forum recently where folks have run into similar problems.  Unfortunately I went with the USB data logger so I just haven't kept up with these threads.  However if you do some quick searches you should be able to find out what have been the recent successes.

If that doesn't work, you might consider getting another serial to USB dongle that is known to be supported.  That isn't too expensive and if you pick a model which has good Mac support that hopefully would be the end of driver voodoo.

Hate to suggest the alternative and it isn't foolproof either, but you might also consider upgrading to the Davis USB data logger.  It is expensive but is more reliable and so far Silicon Labs has been doing a good job of keeping up with Apple's OS upgrades.

Sorry for your predicament.  It isn't fun when Apple shuffles your life with each OS upgrade.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

fusion2u

• Calm
    • KFLSTUAR12
Re: WeatherCat can not find Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:42:46 PM »
Thanks Edouard,

Yes, the USB data logger when i bought it several years ago it was not cheap. I will look at some of the other threads and se what i can find. It may be cheaper just to find a used Mac Mini that is running snow leopard and just dedicate it to my weather station. Take care and thanks for the information.

Cheers, Herb

stardog2000

• Calm
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro, Mac Pro, 3TB on 2 Ext Drives
Re: WeatherCat can not find Davis Vantage Pro 2
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
Greetings,

I am currently using a Tripplite (Keyspan) USA-19HS USB-Serial Adaptor on Mountain Lion.  The driver I am using is the only beta driver on the Tripplite website . . it is listed for Lion (10.7).  They do not have any driver listed for Mountain Lion but for me it seems to be working fine.

Dave
Dave Goucher