Author Topic: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!  (Read 129433 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Da' trouble with protracted projects . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #150 on: August 05, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat seekers of your money's worth,

No warranty on the current regulator?

Well, FAST has 1 year warranties on most of their products and this pressure regulator was purchased in .  . . . 2013.  :(

However da' plot further thickens as is usually the case for my trusty wagon.  The pressure regulator that was installed isn't from the fuel injection manufacturer FAST but a company called Big End Performance.  However, you try to get information on Big End Performance their web site no longer works - suggesting that they might be out of business . . . .

Under these circumstances, buying a new one seemed the most prudent choice to make!

Cheers, Edouard

P.S. The new FAST pressure regulator arrived today and looks similar enough that it should be a straightforward install.

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: FYI: I'm getting one assertive billy-goat station wagon!!
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
Does the pressure regulator still get its feedback from the engine's manifold vacuum, like the old ones did? Because, if it does, a loss of vacuum with an increase in ambient temperature would fit the symptoms. That might be caused by a cracked spring actuator diaphragm, or a hole in the line somewhere. I didn't see vacuum pressure on the graph, so I thought I'd ask.

Naturally, if it's the spring actuator diaphragm you're fixing it by replacing the regulator. If elsewhere, then the issue wont go away with the new regulator.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I'll let Orinda Motors figure it out! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2016, 10:40:20 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat automotive troubleshooters,

Does the pressure regulator still get its feedback from the engine's manifold vacuum, like the old ones did? Because, if it does, a loss of vacuum with an increase in ambient temperature would fit the symptoms. That might be caused by a cracked spring actuator diaphragm, or a hole in the line somewhere. I didn't see vacuum pressure on the graph, so I thought I'd ask.

I just checked and yes there is hose that connects to the intake manifold, so I assume this regulator is of that older design.  However, I don't think there is a great loss of vacuum pressure because this engine has a relatively mild cam.  I don't have any problems with the power brakes being slow to act.  On the contrary the brakes can apply more aggressively than I would prefer!  If there was a leak in the hose I would expect problems at other times.

In any case, I'll let classic car guru Greg at Orinda Motors figure it out!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Ever park next to one of these!?? (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2016, 12:11:11 AM »
Dear WeatherCat automobile enthusiasts,

Have you ever parked next to one of these?

The car next to my trusty wagon happens to be none other than an Edsel Ranger!  The story of Edsel is much more fascinating than I had ever realized.  You can read up on it on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edsel

As the Wikipedia article points out: "The Edsel is an automobile marque that was planned, developed, and manufactured by the Ford Motor Company for model years 1958-1960."  So Edsel wasn't a single car but a car line like Buick or Pontiac are divisions of GM.  Unfortunately, the scheme had a critical flaw.  GM had consolidated smaller car companies.  Those companies already had loyal buyers and a particular reputation.  Ford wanted to invent a new car line for scratch.  That didn't give the buyer either a clear understanding of what Edsel was supposed to be nor any incentive to buy an Edsel instead of a Ford, Mercury or Lincoln.  In the end it flopped and left GM so dominating that it was close to monopoly status.

As much as the Edsel was a flop they are now extremely collectible and are much beloved by their owners.  This one was getting some work done at Orinda Motors on the same day my trusty wagon went in to have her fuel regulator replaced.  The swap went perfectly.  Just one small problem: the new pressure regulator was completely defective! I've returned it for a replacement.  My wagon will have to limp along with the old pressure regulator until the new replacement can be installed.

I have one more bit of trusty wagon news.  Back in May I ordered a pair "retro 1960s" personalized license plates and they are waiting at our local DMV office.  I have an appointment to pick them up later in the month.  So what does the new license plate say?  You guys will just have to wait!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #154 on: August 13, 2016, 12:53:26 AM »
I ordered a pair [of] "retro 1960s" personalized license plates and they are waiting at our local DMV office.  I have an appointment to pick them up later in the month.  So what does the new license plate say?
With our luck with pressure regulators, I'm betting they mispeld whatever you asked for! [banghead] [rolleyes2]

The main thing Ford learned with the Edsel is not to expect too much from the family. "A Note from the Board: How 'bout we hire a non-family member and hopefully one with some managerial experience?"

Sure, Edsel's are coveted by collectors. Not many of them survived the car crushers! [lol]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #155 on: August 13, 2016, 01:01:08 AM »
My guess for the personalized plates: WX4MAC or WXCAT1
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #156 on: August 13, 2016, 03:28:23 AM »

Based on Edouard's threads lately, I'm guessing IH8APL.  ;)
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Keep guessing . . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #157 on: August 13, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
Dear X-Air, Blick, Steve, and WeatherCat automotive enthusiasts, . . .

Based on Edouard's threads lately, I'm guessing IH8APL.  ;)

Both cute, but not even warm!  Keep guessin' . . . .  [biggrin]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #158 on: August 13, 2016, 10:57:14 PM »
MY1STCAR, SAVEH20 or BONJOUR
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Keep guessing . . . . (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #159 on: August 13, 2016, 11:09:59 PM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat mind readers, . . . .

MY1STCAR, SAVEH20 or BONJOUR

Nope, but you are getting a little bit warmer . . . . .

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2016, 01:49:15 AM »
BIQUETTE
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
AHHHHH!!! Wrong table!!! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2016, 12:16:45 AM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat automotive tinkerers,

BIQUETTE

Not a bad guess but it won't work.  California only allows for 7 characters on a plate.

In the meantime, I returned to the saga of tweaking the fuel injection parameters.  I had noticed that in spite of great diligence and precision, I wasn't getting the engine to idle more smoothly about 2 to 3 minutes after starting.  The logs indicated the fuel mixture was definitely too rich.  That's puzzling I thought: "I am trying to reduce the amount of fuel, that should help shouldn't it?"

Something else was very strange.  There is a table that makes a quick adjustment immediately after the engine starts.  That table also adds fuel.  Yet when the two tables were acting at the same time, the engine was actually getting less fuel.

It is at times like this a that man must search his soul . . . . .  before resigning himself to once more reading the instructions. . . 

It is at this point I discovered a most inconvenient truth.  I was adjusting the Acceleration Enrichment vs. Coolant Temperature table instead of the Warm-Up Enrichment vs. Coolant Temperature.  The table I was tweaking only comes into play when you step on the accelerator, so not surprisingly the cold starts weren't improving.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! . . . .

So with a clearer idea of what has to be done.  I have reduced the values of the Warm-Up Enrichment vs. Coolant Temperature table based on what the logs and videos suggest is the problem.  I also have made what I hope is a reasonable guess for the After-Start Enrichment vs. Coolant Temperature table.  Next chance I get, I'll try to start my trusty wagon and see what happens

In the voice of Sylvester the cat . . . . . . S-s-s-s-simple, . . . . . isn't it!   [banghead]

Edouard  :-[

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2016, 01:45:32 PM »
VOITURE

Laughed out loud when I read your sentence about reading the instructions. I assume you are now waiting for the replacement fuel pump.
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Definitely the correct table. (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2016, 12:26:28 AM »
Dear Blick and WeatherCat tinkerers,

VOITURE

Nope, actually colder . . .

Laughed out loud when I read your sentence about reading the instructions. I assume you are now waiting for the replacement fuel pump.

Well no I went ahead and tried my revised parameters on the Warm-Up Enrichment vs. Coolant Temperature table.  The engine started and ran - badly!  I reduced the fuel too much and now the engine is running very lean.  I'm surprised it managed to keep running at all.  Still, I now have my high shot and my low shot.  It is time to split the difference and see what I get!

Cheers, Edouard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Da' wagon has landed! (Re: Billy-goat station wagon!!)
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2016, 01:04:05 AM »
Dear WeatherCat fans of assertive station wagons,

I was expected to bring my trusty wagon by 5pm today so that she could be set up in the service bay like last year's car show.  The reason for this "honor" was that they wanted to showcase her new electronic fuel injection system.  In order to do that, I needed to make some new posters.

The posters were finished at around . . . . . . 3:30pm!!

Fortunately, Orinda Motors was able to take my trusty wagon early so I was back home at around 5.

I also have to bring my laptop so I can demonstrate the software tuning.  I just finished loading up the data so I can do that.

Lucky me, I still have about 20 minutes before I have to start cooking dinner!

I may not make it to the forum tomorrow . . . . . It is likely to be a very  L O N G  day!j

Stay tuned
. . . . . Edouard