Author Topic: Enhancements to AWEKAS system.  (Read 3048 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Enhancements to AWEKAS system.
« on: July 02, 2012, 12:47:34 AM »
Dear WeatherCat fans,

Those of you who send data to the AWEKAS network probably have gotten an email describing the website enhancements.  Those who didn't can read about the changes on their forum: http://www.awekas.at/for2/index.php?page=Thread&postID=18717#post18717

They recommend that every member log in and update their data which you can do here: http://www.awekas.at/en/user.php.

There is one new feature that I have mixed feelings about.  These poor guys don't have many ways of raising revenue.  So they've decided to provide an enhanced dashboard in exchange for us weather station operators consenting to allow our submitted data to be shared by third-parties from time to time.

I suspect that in this case it is probably reasonably harmless, but the principle of the thing concerns me a little.  What do folks think about this?  I decided to take a wait and see attitude for the now.  Hopefully Tony can chime in with some insights for us.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. I've started an equivalent thread on MacWeather: http://www.macweather.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=636

HairyMcLeary

• Strong Breeze
    • DW5912
    • INORTHOT6
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355, iMac 2.66 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8 GB RAM, Mountain Lion
Re: Enhancements to AWEKAS system.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 04:09:03 AM »

There is one new feature that I have mixed feelings about.  These poor guys don't have many ways of raising revenue.  So they've decided to provide an enhanced dashboard in exchange for us weather station operators consenting to allow our submitted data to be shared by third-parties from time to time.

I suspect that in this case it is probably reasonably harmless, but the principle of the thing concerns me a little.  What do folks think about this?  I decided to take a wait and see attitude for the now.  Hopefully Tony can chime in with some insights for us.

AWEKAS Plus has been around for a while, it's just that most of the recently released features will only be available to AWEKAS Plus users.

I don't have problem with this personally, and it is still optional. I haven't checked in recent times, but the last time I checked they hadn't started passing the info on to any 3rd parties. I think it's a reasonable method of raising revenue.

At least they are being up front about it. I have heard of some sites passing on the data without the submitters knowledge.

Tony

embayweather

• Strong Breeze
    • DW3656
    • lENGLAND128
    • Lancastrian Imaging
  • Station Details: Oregon WM928, Intel Mac 2.5Ghz, I5 Quad core, Met Office spec manual instruments, Cat, WD, 1-wire, Labjack, Lightning Radar
Re: Enhancements to AWEKAS system.
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 12:28:52 PM »
I woud go with Tony's thoughts. We are in the business of providing weather data for others to see, so by raising funds to keep their site going,  albeit  the back of our data, they are giving our own sites exposure. In my old trade as a photographer I would have to pay for that. Financial gain for my data would of course be welcomed, I have after all a weather station to support. But I am happy that someone may be able to use my data, and thus my efforts have not been in vain.
I may well review my thoughts if it is shown that they are making huge profits on the back of our work (sounds like banks doesn't it), but for the moment I will wait and see.

Best wishes

Mike

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Yes indeed!! (Re: Enhancements to AWEKAS)
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
Hi Tony, Mike, and WeatherCat fans,

Thanks for your thoughts.  I think that AWEKAS really has its heart in the right place unlike so many other services.  So I'll probably enable it.

At least they are being up front about it. I have heard of some sites passing on the data without the submitters knowledge.

Yes indeed.  Now that the Weather Channel has acquired Weather Underground, we'll see if the new owners can match this sort of ethical stance.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]