Author Topic: Welcome to Spring 2019!  (Read 6372 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Welcome to Spring 2019!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 03:46:09 AM »
Lovely to see that California colour coordinates the fire hydrants with the poppies.
Blick

The Grand Poohbah

• Gale
  • Developer of WeatherCat for iOS, tvOS, and watchOS
    • EW6355 KCANEVAD43
    • Hopeful Hill Ranch
  • Station Details: Vantage Pro 2, aspirated, solar radiation, uv, soil temp and moisture
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 07:12:24 PM »
Lovely to see that California colour coordinates the fire hydrants with the poppies.

And not just for beauty: https://www.fmsystems-inc.com/fire-hydrant-color-code-table/.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I KNEW they could not be trusted! (Re: Welcome to Spring 2019!)
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 10:53:05 PM »
Dear Blick, Grand, and WeatherCat observers of all that can be seen on along the countryside,

And not just for beauty: https://www.fmsystems-inc.com/fire-hydrant-color-code-table/.

[wink] . . . . . Just as I suspected!  I knew we couldn't trust California politicians to make anything match up - even California poppies! . . . .  lol(1)

Seriously, thanks Grand for the reference!  [tup]  I was not aware of the color coding scheme for fire hydrants.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A "rite" and wrong of . . . . (Re: Spring 2019!)
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

It isn't only plants that are effected by Spring.  The animal kingdom also has its rhythms.  A few weeks back I thought I spotted a very young deer in the yard.  Today I was able to confirm my suspicions!

Of course this little creature will grow up to be a pest that thinks my yard is a banquet, but at the moment . . . . . they sure are so cute!  :)

Alas even at this young age they do seem to slip into "drinking problems." . . . . .

At least "mom" is keeping an eye on the situation!

Enjoy!  :)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Nature's experiment on dried grasses. (Re: Welcome to Spring 2019!)
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2019, 11:14:11 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the seasons turning,

Amazingly, we have picked up 2.64" (67.1mm) of rain since the 15th of May.  That's a lot of late season moisture occurring after the grasses had turned to seed.  Out of curiosity I took a photo at about the same place I took the photo of the grasses starting to turn.  Here is that earlier photo taken on May 1st:

Here is the photo taken this morning:

There are some obvious changes as a result of the storms.  Some of the grasses were blown down by the wind.  I'm curious to see if the moisture will start the decomposition process that we normally only see in late autumn.  If it does that might mitigate some of the fire concerns.

I'll take another photo in a few weeks.  Stay tuned!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
One tough California poppy. (Re: Welcome to Spring 2019!)
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2019, 10:59:58 PM »
Dear WeatherCat observers of the season's turning,

On my travels I encountered something of an "old friend."  Two years ago I spotted a California poppy growing through the cracks in curb.  I took a photo that I shared with you all on this posting:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2476.msg24066#msg24066

I kept an eye for this poppy last year, but it didn't manage to bloom.  However, with the late rains of this spring, look at what happened!

This plant has put out an impressive set of blooms considering the environment it has to live in.  That's one tough California poppy!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2019, 01:10:03 AM »
Ah, yes, that is the (I thought well known) California odd-year blooming Poppy! You can confirm the species by looking at the even-numbered seeds. ::)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system