Weather > Weather Hardware/Measurement

Monitor 2 rain collector overly high rain totals

(1/3) > >>

cabut:
Hello all,

I have a solar powered wireless Davis Monitor 2 that is about 20 years old. I  have replaced the solar array and battery last year and it has worked reliably until this years Arizona monsoon season.
Now it is recording rain even when none has fallen, consistently. It also gives 2 day rain totals where it seems not to reset at midnight for example, it repeats the total of the first day and adds it to the second day whether it rains or not. For instance it will record .27 on day one then on day two it will double that to .54 even if no rain on day 2.

I am running WC 1.02 Version 4 on a iBook G4

I am thinking it must be a hardware fault and have found a new replacement rain bucket #7852 on Amazon. Should I first try replacing the reed switch or buy a new rain assembly for $100?

elagache:
Dear cabut and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

--- Quote from: cabut on July 30, 2018, 08:58:14 PM ---I have a solar powered wireless Davis Monitor 2 that is about 20 years old. I  have replaced the solar array and battery last year and it has worked reliably until this years Arizona monsoon season.
Now it is recording rain even when none has fallen, consistently. It also gives 2 day rain totals where it seems not to reset at midnight for example, it repeats the total of the first day and adds it to the second day whether it rains or not. For instance it will record .27 on day one then on day two it will double that to .54 even if no rain on day 2.

I am running WC 1.02 Version 4 on a iBook G4

I am thinking it must be a hardware fault and have found a new replacement rain bucket #7852 on Amazon. Should I first try replacing the reed switch or buy a new rain assembly for $100?
--- End quote ---

I'll be the first to admit there is merit in hanging on to "mature" technology that is reliable . . . .   Alas, your weather station, iBook, and version of WeatherCat are all extremely out of date.  You need to decide how much more you want to invest in this setup.  If something else fails in your setup - what then will you do?

Sorry, but it seems necessary to say it.

Edouard

cabut:
LOL! I?ve been thinking about it, but a new Davis solar powered wireless set-up is about $1200.
Until it becomes totally unreliable I?ll keep it and my old iBook cranking out data.  [rockon]

elagache:
Dear cabut and WeatherCat users who never pay retail!

--- Quote from: cabut on July 31, 2018, 12:30:36 AM ---LOL! I?ve been thinking about it, but a new Davis solar powered wireless set-up is about $1200.

--- End quote ---

Of course Davis would love for you to pay that much, but you don't hav'ta'!

There are a number of outfits that heavily discount Davis equipment.  These include (but are by no means limited to) :

* Scaled Instruments - https://www.scaledinstruments.com/
* Rainman Weather - http://www.rainmanweather.com/
* Pro Vantage - http://www.provantage.com/
I list these 3 because I am aware of "WeatherCatters" having gotten good service from each company.  I think you'll find that you can upgrade your weather station for a lot less than you imagined.  That might sufficient incentive to make you reconsider spending more money on your very weary Davis Monitor station.

Sometimes all it takes is the right kind of plug!! . . . . .

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11:
For whatever this is worth, and it ain't much, I agree with Edouard. I have purchased hardware from two of the vendors he listed and have been totally happy with both of them. And I have never had any issue with Davis honoring a warranty issue from something I purchased from either of these vendors. And they are significantly less expensive than buying direct from Davis.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version