Weather > General Weather Discussion

What has been the climate for May according to WeatherCat?

(1/10) > >>

elagache:
Dear WeatherCat climate watchers,

For sometime now I have been posting the Climate Prediction Center forecasts like this one for the month that is almost over:

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2737.msg26626#msg26626

I have always been suspicious about the accuracy of these forecasts but didn't have an easy way to test them.  In WeatherCat 3, Stu added some tags that provides a nice summary of the climate.  Grand used them for a report in WeatherCatRCP.  Here is the text:

--- Code: ---R3 - L$ at D$
Build: BD$
STTHISMONTHOV$

STLASTMONTHOV$
--- End code ---

This is a neat way to get a quick read on the climate of this past month.   Here is what this report looks like for Canebas weather station:

As you can see, it has been slightly cooler than normal in the San Francisco Bay Area, not much warmer as the Climate Prediction Center expected.

Since it is relatively easy to collect these tags, I thought we might share with one another these reports to compare what the climate has been at our respective locations compared with what was predicted by the CPC.  It may or may not reassure us about our weather and climate intuitions. . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Of course those of us running WeatherCatRCP might use that report just to give Grand a plug! . . . .  [tup]

Blicj11:
Nice suggestion, Edouard.

Here is mine. In our case, here in the mountains of Northern Utah, the CPS one-month forecast for May called for a 70-80% chance of above normal temperatures. They called it correctly. The CPS also said there was a 40-50% chance of above average precipitation. Alas, this prediction was a bust.

Randall75:
Hi Gang
 I don't have that special weather for the programmed in my WC
But this has been the warmest May on record here in central Ohio per channel 6 weather team [sweat2]

cheers

Alan Rowley:
Here is my report for Nottinghamshire, UK ...

May so far has been...
   Warmer than average (13.2?C versus an average of 11.3)
   Dryer than average (28.40 mm versus an average total of 44.18)
   Calmer than average (a wind run of 1842 miles versus an average of 2827)

April was...
   Warmer than average (9.1?C versus an average of 8.5)
   Wetter than average (70.40 mm versus an average total of 35.03)
   Windier than average (a wind run of 3048 miles versus an average of 2753)

I use the tags on my 'this month / last month summary' page ...

http://www.selstonweather.info/wxthislastmonth.php

elagache:
Thanks for sharing everyone!  [tup]

Anyone else with data they would like to share?

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version