Author Topic: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug  (Read 24825 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Weather Cat version 2.4.4 MacOS Higher Sierra 10.13.3 bug
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:07 PM »
Even Apple "Support" shows more of the minimalist ES versions: Use the Energy Saver settings on your Mac

Of course, they don't always update their details pages very often... there's no telling what OS those screen captures were made. The only one that shows "Computer sleep" claims to be what shows on a Mac mini. Likewise, these screen captures may come from machines newer than my mid-2011 iMac... maybe I should just buy a new machine...  [rolleyes2]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
  • Station Details: iMac, Davis Vonage Pro
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 01:06:31 AM »
My wife iMac is doing 4 times better than before I installed Amphetamine, but I had the same problem this morning about 8 am. WC has been in starting mode on the weather underground preference online setup page for 12 hours. Restarted the iMac and it came right back up. WC does not know to send missing data when this happens. There must be a connection for it to run 4 days without restarting for the first time in a couple of months. I was going to do one final check before declaring it fixed.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:14 AM »
Here is the overview of the WC iMac that shows year and model. Can anyone direct me to instructions on moving WC data to a new mac? I would prefer to move the data and install WC as opposed to using time machine. I have looked for the data in Library/ Application Support can can't find file related to WC big enough to be a data file. Thanks

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
Sorry, here is the screen shot I meant to send

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 04:07:56 PM »
There is a WC Wiki article that may be of help in your move. It's cleverly named: Moving a WeatherCat installation from one computer to another

I think you are looking in the correct place, but there are so many "Library" directories... [banghead]  :)
  • HD/Library
  • HD/System/Library
  • HD/Users/userName/Library
Mine data files/folders are at: HD/Users/userName/Library/WeatherCatData/Location1/
I have data for 2015(partial year), 2016, 2017, 2018 and three .xml files.

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 08:45:51 AM »
FWIW... There is a neat little (free) tool called Onyx which I can recommend. My family considers me the PC/Mac doctor for some reason. Mac's are fairly reliable but whenever someone approaches me with vague Mac problems, I always run this tool (ticking all 'Maintenance' and 'Clean' options) before doing any further troubleshooting. It fixes the problem 3 out of 4 times. YMMV.

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

It never caused nasty side effects for me (it is more or less a GUI for already built in functionality), but make sure you let it do its job. Your Mac maybe appear unresponsive - be patient and don't try to interrupt the cleaning/rebuilding process.

Jos

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 02:03:40 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, I usually forget it's even installed! [blush] Cocktail is another handy app, BTW.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 09:49:26 PM »
WC hung in starting mode again last night. I did not restart the iMac Yesterday. Thanks for the suggestions I will download the app and run it.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 10:57:30 PM »
I ran OnyX. If it works, I will donate. I will let you know in a couple of days.

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 12:23:49 AM »
Looks like my Vantage Pro 2 has died. The weather station has probably been my problem from the beginning. It not connecting to the wireless weather gauges outside. I took the batteries out and remover power to reset the console. On trying to setup the console, Receive from is not getting a station ID. Any suggestions on a fix. I have had the station for many years, is it time for a replacement. I read the wireless transmitter runs from a big capacitor. I replaced the smaller battery about 8 months ago. Would you get another Davis Vantage pro 2?

Thanks

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 01:43:01 AM »
I?d replace that small battery first, it?s a lot cheaper than any new station! ;) But to answer your question, I certainly will/would buy another Pro 2, 3 or whatever it is when too many parts of mine fail.

I?m not sure Davis promises even a year on that battery. They don?t make them and who knows how long it sat in a hot warehouse!

But those capacitors have also been known to fail. At least look to see if you can see any swelling or actual leaks (I think it is an electrolytic type).

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2018, 02:33:42 PM »
I'm still on my original batteries from September 2011.

Davis offers a rebuild for your VP2 that would be far less expensive than a new unit. You send them the entire unit, they go over *everything*, replacing with new parts or refurbishing parts, and send it back to you prepaid. All it costs is shipping to send it and the rebuild cost. Last I heard it was something like $125 and well worth it.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
OK thanks, The console started telling me to replace the small battery about 8 months ago but the weather station kept working. I ordered an extra battery to at that time so I can give it a try. Amazon prime sells the sending units for $119 and I mine should arrive Wednesday. I read the Vantage Vue all in one will connect to the Pro 2 console and the accuracy is the same except you can't mount the temperature sensor 5 feet on the ground and the wind gauge 30 up. If you don't get a console the Vue is about $220.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
Do be aware that it is possible to put the battery in backwards. I know from the experience of a very close relative whoshall remain nameless but is married to my wife... [rolleyes2] [blush] [banghead]

I started with the Pro 2, no experience with the Vue but if it covers your needs it seems fine. My decision for the 2 was based on future additional sensors which I may never take advantage of. [rolleyes2]

N4KHQ

• Gentle Breeze
    • KGADAHLO8
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 06:21:03 PM »
Battery checked 3 volts. The capacitors are electrolytic, no swelling on any of the three. Two small and the larger on for storing the charge. I think is see the problem, looks like I left the plastic film on the solar charger. See photo below. No matter, new transmitter will be here day after tomorrow. Thanks