Author Topic: Caravaning Across America  (Read 12198 times)

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Caravaning Across America
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
Nice photos, Steve. Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty cool with a lot packed into that small caravan.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 03:08:07 PM »
Sorry for the late reply, but this looks awesome! The key ingredient for me is this little guy here:

A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 04:59:33 PM »
Looks like you have your writing supplies covered, but, where do you store the catalogs (for reading and other purposes)?! And how do you charge your iDevices while surfing the interweb?!
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely a resurgence in interest. (Re: Caravaning Across America)
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:14:43 PM »
Dear DFW, X-Air, and WeatherCat road-trip wannabees,

Sorry for the late reply, but this looks awesome! The key ingredient for me is this little guy here:

Never quibble about a functional solution, but my heart still yearns for something a tad more romantic like say this sort of a rig:

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/ads/1973-airstream-safari-23-utah-3/

The number of choices if you want something nostalgic but still modern is definitely growing.  I recently discovered Casita Travel Trailers:

https://casitatraveltrailers.com/

They are a bit on the small size, but they are really cute and functional.  It doesn't scratch the vintage trailer itch.  On the other hand, it sure is a lot more appealing than many of the boxy RVs that are out there, and it doesn't require a huge SUV or pickup to tow it.

Having more choices doesn't solve the problem of how to pay for one, but as always, window shopping is always free!  :)

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 11:19:36 PM »
The Casita factory is near me in DFW.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2018, 05:47:08 AM »
I have driven past that Casita plant several times.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 04:48:45 PM »
Four years in, we just got back from four days in Hocking Hills State Park, in Ohio. Hot!!!! 84-88°F most of the day, with not much shade and high humidity. Still, a bad day camping is better than a good day...oh, wait, I don't work. :)

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 06:11:38 PM »
Beautiful, and fun times. When we used to live in Columbus, we visited Hocking a lot!

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2021, 10:00:28 PM »
Nice setup Steve. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:58 PM »
Beautiful, and fun times. When we used to live in Columbus, we visited Hocking a lot!

Nice to hear from you after a long pause. I know you moved, but how come you didn't setup your weather station to report to a website in the new locale?
Blick

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
A/C and solar lighting? (Re: Caravaning Across America)
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2021, 11:00:13 PM »
Dear Steve, Blick, DFW, and WeatherCat roadtrip fans,

Four years in, we just got back from four days in Hocking Hills State Park, in Ohio. Hot!!!! 84-88°F most of the day, with not much shade and high humidity.

Thanks for sharing!   Sounds like you had a very nice time!

Still, a bad day camping is better than a good day...oh, wait, I don't work. :)

Perhaps you should have put it this way: "A bad day camping with my squaredrop trailer (and A/C) is better than camping in a tent without any A/C!"   ;D

I see extension cords on the ground, did you have your air conditioner going?

Also, I finally ended up with some of those Costco solar landscape lights and they are very nice indeed!  Isn't that a solar landscape light in the extreme left of your second picture?  It sure looks like one of those Costco lights to me!

Thanks again for sharing Steve!   [bounce]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: A/C and solar lighting? (Re: Caravaning Across America)
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2021, 12:51:51 AM »
I see extension cords on the ground, did you have your air conditioner going?

Nights were in the low 70s to high 60s, so we didn't at first. There's a fan in the roof vent, and the windows open made for some air movement. We used a small 200W ceramic heater a few minutes here and there just to dry out the humid air getting sucked in. The last evening we did use the A/C. You can barely see it behind the potty tent. And external unit with collapsable hoses. It got too cold, really. That was the first time we used it other than in the driveway. Otherwise, we have camped fall or spring.

The extension cords go to the fridge in the back of the truck and the AC power to the trailer, which feeds a power strip for the above heater and Deb's knockoff Keurig, as well as the charging brick for our small Goal Zero, which in turn powers the DC fan and LED lights in the trailer as well as charges iDevices.

Also, I finally ended up with some of those Costco solar landscape lights and they are very nice indeed!  Isn't that a solar landscape light in the extreme left of your second picture?  It sure looks like one of those Costco lights to me!

Yes, it is! It puts out too much light for my liking, but Deb likes it, so...

This was a get together of owners of the Hiker trailers out of the Indianapolis builder (the other factory is in Denver.) There were 49 of us in sizes from 4X8 to the only 6.5X10 ever built. Majority are 5X8 like ours or 5X9, all with varying degrees of options and modifications. Ours was at the cheaper end of the range. Trailers in attendance cost from $3600 to $27,000!!  :o
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Sounds like a neat rendezvous! (Re: A/C and solar lighting?)
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 12:16:13 AM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat roadtrip fans,

. . . . .
The extension cords go to the fridge in the back of the truck and the AC power to the trailer, which feeds a power strip for the above heater and Deb's knockoff Keurig, as well as the charging brick for our small Goal Zero, which in turn powers the DC fan and LED lights in the trailer as well as charges iDevices.

That sure is a far cry from my days of camping in a tent!

Yes, it is! It puts out too much light for my liking, but Deb likes it, so...

I agree with you, those solar lights are too bright for a campground.  However, the idea of marking the edges of your campsite with a solar light is clever! 

This was a get together of owners of the Hiker trailers out of the Indianapolis builder (the other factory is in Denver.) There were 49 of us in sizes from 4X8 to the only 6.5X10 ever built. Majority are 5X8 like ours or 5X9, all with varying degrees of options and modifications. Ours was at the cheaper end of the range. Trailers in attendance cost from $3600 to $27,000!!  :o

It is neat that your trailer builder also has a reunion for their customers!  I'm sure the owners enjoy it and it is good publicity.  Yes, tiny trailers have started to get quite expensive for their size.  However, that shouldn't be so surprising.  The quality of the cabinet-work has been going upscale.  Also, they are being fitted with more and more of the appliances to be found in an RV.  Those costs remain roughly the same whether your trailer is 8 feet long or 24 feet long.

That's one of the reasons I'm still looking!!

Thanks for sharing Steve!

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2023, 04:45:29 PM »
🎶 Movin’ on Up 🎶

Introducing "Curiosity", our 2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II Twin Bed version.

We took delivery at the factory in Hohenwald, Tennessee on March 29, and stayed two nights at their on-site campground, then two nights at David Crockett State Park in nearby Laurenceburg, Tennessee. We wanted to thoroughly test all the systems and make sure we understood how everything worked. Having never owned a trailer with plumbing, heat, air conditioning, water and waste tanks, or extensive electrical system, it was a steep learning curve.

Then we drove to Pine Mountain, Georgia to stay three nights in the lodge at Callaway Gardens, before taking a leisurely two day drive home. We took advantage of Cracker Barrel's overnight RV parking, and had a hearty breakfast.

We are extremely pleased with our new home on wheels! Quality, fit, finish are all exceptional. It is truly built like a high-end sailboat. The community support on the Oliver forum is a welcome change from the toxicity of Facebook Groups (my only personal use for FB.) Five nights in, and we are looking forward to many years of enjoyment.

With the Land Cruiser and the Oliver both under-the-radar luxury, I can't think of a better pairing.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Thanks for sharing! (Re: Caravaning Across America)
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2023, 10:38:31 PM »
Dear Steve and WeatherCat users with road-trip inclinations,

We took delivery at the factory in Hohenwald, Tennessee on March 29, and stayed two nights at their on-site campground, then two nights at David Crockett State Park in nearby Laurenceburg, Tennessee. We wanted to thoroughly test all the systems and make sure we understood how everything worked. Having never owned a trailer with plumbing, heat, air conditioning, water and waste tanks, or extensive electrical system, it was a steep learning curve.

Congratulations on the new trailer!  Indeed I have anticipated that steep learning curve.  I'm glad that the trailer has been working well for you and bringing you and your wife lots of enjoyment.  Thanks for the pictures.  The Oliver trailers are indeed very nice looking and a marked contrast to the boxy look of most of the competition.

;) . . . . .Just one thing . . . . . .

Introducing "Curiosity", our 2023 Oliver Legacy Elite II Twin Bed version.

[wink]  . . . . . But I thought "Curiosity" was on Mars? . . . . . .   lol(1)

Cheers, Edouard