Author Topic: WeatherCat Screensaver?  (Read 3016 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
WeatherCat Screensaver?
« on: April 01, 2017, 08:23:42 PM »
Just powered off the monitor related to my Mac mini hosting WeatherCat and asking me if it is possible to add a screensaver that displays weather values? So for example use the built in "Message" screensaver, and in the Options of this let us place a STATS TAG. Possible?
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
I'll second that motion! (Re: WeatherCat Screensaver?)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:14:18 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat infomaniacs,

if it is possible to add a screensaver that displays weather values? So for example use the built in "Message" screensaver, and in the Options of this let us place a STATS TAG. Possible?

If Apple makes that reasonably easy to do, I'll second that motion.  That would be much more useful than the silly screensaver I have now.

Cheers, Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: WeatherCat Screensaver?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
Again me.  :)

I am not really familiar with AppleScript, but I noticed ScreenSaver is scriptable. So if someone out there is able to dive into the deeps of AppleScript - possible to simply do it?  ::)
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Cannot find information on AppleScript. (Re: WeatherCat Screensaver?)
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 10:53:43 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat DIY types,

I am not really familiar with AppleScript, but I noticed ScreenSaver is scriptable. So if someone out there is able to dive into the deeps of AppleScript - possible to simply do it?  ::)

I just checked and there is no AppleScript dictionary for the ScreenSaver.  Normally that means the application isn't scriptable.  I did a quick search and didn't find any information on how to use AppleScript on the ScreenSaver.  Could you point me to the information you found?

Cheers, Edouard   

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Hello Edouard,

I found it here: Script-Editor > File > Open Dictitonary > Choose System Events > Scroll down to Screen Saver Suite

But as said before, I do not know what to do from here on.  :-[
Cheers,
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Nothing to display text (Re: WeatherCat Screensaver?)
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 11:16:35 PM »
Dear Reinhard and WeatherCat scripters,

I found it here: Script-Editor > File > Open Dictitonary > Choose System Events > Scroll down to Screen Saver Suite

But as said before, I do not know what to do from here on.  :-[

Alas, knowing AppleScript wouldn't have helped you anyway.  All you can do in AppleScript is to start or stop a screen saver, you can change which screen saver is running and you can set the general preferences.  There is no way to display any text.

Oh well, it was a good thought!

Edouard

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 08:08:34 AM »
Thank you for taking a look at it, Edouard!
Reinhard