Author Topic: Sierra for Mac - seems to break weathercat :-(  (Read 21656 times)

TechnoMonkey

• Strong Breeze
    • EW9323
    • KTXARANS6
    • TechnoMonkeys Weather
  • Station Details: La Crosse WS-2315 / High Sierra Server / Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5/ 8GB Ram / OS 120GB SSD / Home Folder 500GB FireWire / DATA 8TB RAID 5 / 1TB TIME CAPSULE
Re: Sierra for Mac - seems to break weathercat :-(
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2016, 11:17:29 PM »
I have had the best luck with FTDI chips in my USB to Serial cables.  Dealing with a lot of legacy hardware through my customer base has taught me that it is the best way to go.

Prolific chips suck.  Sometimes you need an older driver, sometimes a newer one.  It is always a hit or miss.  And if you got a "made in China" wannabe, good luck.

I have not tried anything else as the FTDI based adapters have worked so well on Windoze, Mac and Linux, I saw no reason to search any further.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 02:01:02 PM »
Sound advice, as digression is the better part of valor.....if I were a physicist or mathematician I would have heeded this, but as an engineer we tend to throw caution to the wind.....someone has to be 1st for someone else can fix it [cheers1].  Surprisingly aside from Waze on my iPhone this is the only program I have noticed on my iMac that does not play nice with Sierra ......... so far at least.

nikwax

• Calm
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS-2316u, Future Technology Devices USB-serial adapter, FTDI driver version 2.3, iMac Intel Core i3, OS X 10.10
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
Without thinking much about the implications, I updated to the Sierra GM the other day. I had a rough first hour with it, a bit of cleaning up and updating calmed things down. But WeatherCat was not happily talking to my weather station, WC actually quit a couple of times saying that it could not talk to the weather station. My graphs were showing about 20% dropouts. No update to my driver. Hmmm....

Decided to unplug the USB and let things settle down for a day, then plugged the USB back in, re-selected the device path within WC, and it has been happy ever since. I can't really account for why this would be so, but I'm happy with the result.

bob2k2

• Gentle Breeze
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 03:52:53 PM »
 [interesting] Rechecked computer settings since installing the Sierra GM and noticed the update had reset my energy saving settings on my computer connected to my Davis Wx station.

I unchecked both "Put Hard Disks To Sleep When Possible" And "Prevent Computer From Sleeping...." and the crashes seem to have gone away. [snow]

Just checked and there have been no updates to the Silicon Lab USB driver for Sierra.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Glad to hear it! (Re: Sierra for Mac - seems to break weathercat :-( )
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 03:40:51 AM »
Dear Bob and WeatherCat early adopters,

[interesting] Rechecked computer settings since installing the Sierra GM and noticed the update had reset my energy saving settings on my computer connected to my Davis Wx station.

I unchecked both "Put Hard Disks To Sleep When Possible" And "Prevent Computer From Sleeping...." and the crashes seem to have gone away. [snow]

Just checked and there have been no updates to the Silicon Lab USB driver for Sierra.

Interesting! Those settings are known to trip up WeatherCat if set incorrectly.  The symptoms you describe are consistent with your computer going to sleep and up-ending WeatherCat in the process.  So perhaps WeatherCat does run okay on Sierra.

Still, I'll take your word for it and stick to Yosemite . . . . . for a while!

Cheers, Edouard

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 11:26:38 AM »
It is interesting - in 2.3.0 (ish) we did some work with sleep to ensure everything was actually stopped before allowing the machine to sleep (this can take some time if for instance custom web is processing at the time) and since then it'll usually work fine as long as the driver, OS and station plays nice (generally they don't).

Felix

• Gale
  • Station Details: Davis VP-2 Plus, FARS, WeatherLink IP. Sharx cams.
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2016, 09:53:34 PM »
Keeping Stu's admonishment in mind, any brave soul take the plunge yet with the "shipping" version released today?

I'm all backed up now and am going to head over to the (much larger) weather forum to see if anyone has taken a chance.

Actually, my plan is to start with a second computer which has WC loaded but isn't my primary weather, webpage and webcam uploading platform.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Definitely "hiding" . . . . (Re: Sierra for Mac)
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2016, 11:21:13 PM »
Dear Felix and WeatherCat users willing to make the mistakes for me . . . .  ;D

Keeping Stu's admonishment in mind, any brave sole take the plunge yet with the "shipping" version released today?

Who me? . . . .

I'll nonetheless also be most interested in the experiences of others who . . . . tempt the nasty character with the tail and pointy ears .. .

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
Not me. I'm waiting to hear from Steve first. He is our resident First To Adopt expert.
Blick

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2016, 11:59:06 PM »
Not me. I'm waiting to hear from Steve first. He is our resident First To Adopt expert.

Sounds reasonable. OK, I'll wait on Steve as well.

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2016, 02:10:52 AM »
I've been running the shipping version of WeatherCat with macOS Sierra (10.12) all day and haven't noted any problems yet. Just testing with the equipment noted in my profile but not yet broadcasting. I'll give it to the weekend to see if anything breaks before converting my "weather" computer to Sierra.

I'm curious to know what Stu has found since he's had access through the developer program for much longer. Even if he's taking the conservative 'wait for a point update or two,' I'd still like to know what's been found, if anything, by the developer staff.

At this point, folks with WeatherLink IP, Sharx cams and EvoCam controlling software appear to be in good shape with nothing other than the pre-Sierra WC bugs. 100% station comms and no sensor errors.

BTW X-Air, I'm not seeing any Safari browser problems like you described in another thread.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2016, 02:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the report Felix. I'm using WeatherLinkIP? and a Sharx camera so this is good news.
Blick

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2016, 07:05:16 AM »

Sounds reasonable. OK, I'll wait on Steve as well.

Don't wait for me! I'm not home. We left Ohio for Washington on September 11, and we don't know when we'll head home. Last time we were out this way, it was for 42 days.

For a change, I'll be one of the later people to update to the newest version.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

Felix

• Gale
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2016, 11:25:53 AM »
Fortunately, I haven't been experiencing any unsolvable macOS Sierra problems but most every Apple-centric website is listing the following issues (or a version thereof):

http://www.macxdvd.com/mac-dvd-video-converter-how-to/mac-osx-10-12-problems-solutions.htm

Unless there are some features in there you must have (Siri on the desktop is really cool), it's probably worth waiting for that first update given the number of problem areas a widespread slice of users are experiencing. For sure don't install on your primary computer yet and have a fully current TimeMachine backup and preferably a bootable backup as well.

Some people aren't able to even get through the install process.

And if you're a DropBox user, be aware you'll have some problems:

http://lifehacker.com/dropbox-isnt-playing-nice-with-macos-sierra-heres-how-1786869080

And the USB to serial driver problem for those who don't use WeatherLink IP is always an issue since Silicon Labs doesn't seem to even bother looking a compatibility until after the final release. Great customer support. NOT!  [banghead]

awilltx

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2016, 12:31:16 PM »

And the USB to serial driver problem for those who don't use WeatherLink IP is always an issue since Silicon Labs doesn't seem to even bother looking a compatibility until after the final release. Great customer support. NOT!  [banghead]

Their forum is broken as well. I have an account there and it is impossible to post a question or reply. Not only that, there is no way to contact anyone there (that I have found) to let them know there is a problem. Grrrrr.

Alan

Update: The SILabs forum seems to be working now. I posted a question about the driver to see if anyone is having issues. We will see...