Author Topic: Amazing Hagerty time-lapse video of a Ford V-8 engine rebuild.  (Read 3398 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear WeatherCat fans of really amazing time-lapse photography.

Okay, I'll be the first to admit that this doesn't have any obvious reason to be posted on the WeatherCat forum - except it is really a neat achievement in time-lapse photography.

Hagerty (the collector car insurance people) posted this video in their latest email newsletter.  It is the rebuild of a Ford V-8 engine from the extraction from the pickup truck to the first drive.  All the steps of rebuilding the engine are shown in time-lapse:

https://youtu.be/L_AY8bH3vxY

Even if you couldn't care less about automotive engines, it is simply a neat feat of cinematography.  If you can view this video on a big-screen TV, it is definitely worth it!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Ford built the flathead V-8 from 1932-1953 and it was very innovative for it's time.   There is a Wikipedia entry on this engine type if you want to learn more:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_flathead_V8_engine

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: Amazing Hagerty time-lapse video of a Ford V-8 engine rebuild.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »
I'm bettin' they didn't no stinkin' cumputter on that thing!!! [banghead] [tup]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 01:00:23 AM »
Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 03:24:40 AM »
Very interesting Edouard. Indeed, time lapse is a neat feature, and this one was done very well. But doing time lapse has gotten much easier. I did one of a sunset, just for grins.

Go ahead. Click on me. I'm very short.

And I've got an app now on both my iPhone, iPod and iPad that can do it automatically. My sunset video was turned into time lapse post production, using iMovie. With the app, it slows down capture to the number of frames per second specified by the user, thereby eliminating the necessity of post production. Though, I would still run it through iMovie to add sound (if necessary), titles, credits, etc? I haven't used it yet. When I first got it, I tested it. Since then, the opportunity for good subject matter hasn't arisen.

Thanks for sharing!

[cheers1]
Herb

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 04:47:13 AM »
You boys up in them Arkinsaw hills has shore got some stee range music!!! [rockon] But I tyk them fast trike!!! Bet they kin outrun all them revinoorz! Yessir!  [biggrin]

Shut be the name uv they app?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 05:37:21 AM »
Lol! actually, I forgot that I have two of them. Hyperlapse and Time-Lapse.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun doing the foley for that video. Next time, I hope I remember to use manual exposure settings, too.  [lol]

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:41 AM »
Nice video. My favourite part is the traffic.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 09:16:35 PM »
Thanks Blick!

[cheers1]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Blick, Herb, and WeatherCat cinematographers

Very cool video. Thanks for sharing.

Glad you'all enjoyed it.

Very interesting Edouard. Indeed, time lapse is a neat feature, and this one was done very well. But doing time lapse has gotten much easier. I did one of a sunset, just for grins.

Thanks for sharing the video and the application suggestions.  I can use my Canon 70D for time lapse photography, but the iPhone is so good, perhaps it isn't worth learning how!

I'm bettin' they didn't no stinkin' cumputter on that thing!!! [banghead] [tup]

[wink] . . . . Ya' know, you very well may be right! . . . .  [biggrin]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
Well now Edouard, that Canon 70D with all its manual and automatic settings might be just the ticket for capturing plant growth in changing light conditions. Can it do 4K video?

[cheers1]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
70D isn't today's technology! (Was: Time-lapse video of engine rebuild.)
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 10:46:53 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat state of da' art shutterbugs,

Well now Edouard, that Canon 70D with all its manual and automatic settings might be just the ticket for capturing plant growth in changing light conditions. Can it do 4K video?

I'm not sure it has the controls needed to capture slow motion plant growth.  I can say for sure it doesn't support 4K video, it's max is HD 1920x1080.

There is already an upgraded camera over the 70D - not surprisingly called the 80D:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-80d-review

It can to a faster rate of frames in HD, but it doesn't support 4K video either.

Times sure have changed from my first 35mm SLR that I got in 1976 and continued to use until 2009!!