Author Topic: Longest computer up time?  (Read 18056 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Longest computer up time?
« on: May 29, 2016, 02:46:37 PM »
Maybe should be a Poll? I recently modified a script I use to calculate the "Computer Uptime". I edited out both the Year and Month bits for too different reasons.
1. "Months" are not a fixed size (at least in the Gregorian Calendar), without a lot of calculations about the current "month" and the past ones, plus considering Leap year and monitoring for the centuries and then... It's not impossible, just tedious! But, Hey! This is just a hobby! [lol]
2. How many times have I been able to run any of my computers, without stop, for even close to a year?! [rolleyes2]

So, the question is; What is the longest time you've had a nonstop running computer? Second question might be, who cares?! Apple pretty much guarantees we won't see more than 365 days without at least one shutdown. [rockon]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Re: Longest computer up time?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 11:25:52 PM »
Generally 45-60 days unless Stu is busy making frequent WeatherCat changes. Occasional longer. Usually a restart is due to an OS upgrade, or electrical outage. I remember a 5 month run several years ago, so that may be the longest. I don't really keep track.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
UNIX can run for years (Re: Longest computer up time?)
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:56:48 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat endurance runners,

So, the question is; What is the longest time you've had a nonstop running computer? Second question might be, who cares?! Apple pretty much guarantees we won't see more than 365 days without at least one shutdown. [rockon]

When I had a LINUX server, I tried very hard not to restart the computer as this was one of the expectations of a good UNIX system administrator.  Since I never knew if I might land such a job, I tried to run my server as I might be asked to run a companies server.  Under those conditions, a computer can easily run more than one year.

You are correct, Apple seems extremely anxious to make sure none of us ever try that again.  Still, I can run for several months on the house's server.  Right now it is at a modest 64 days:

People who run WeatherCat on a dedicated Mac can rack up really remarkable uptimes.  Before WeatherCat, LWC ran for a think close to a year without being disturbed.

So do honestly answer your question, if you want to solve the problem for yourself - no worries.  However, if you want to create something that you would share with others, yes you should consider long time intervals at achievable. 

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 01:09:01 AM »
My bad (again!) for not limiting my run time question to at least consumer machines running WC. Who cares about other weather reporting apps?! [lol]

I can easily reinstate the "Years" display, if or when it appears that might be approaching. For now, "Days" should suffice, until we reach OS Z 25.9... [tup] By that time, we may be using UAT (Universal Astrophysical Time).

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
OSX < WC
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:55:16 AM »
Sadly, I think WC can run much longer than OS X can while remaining stable.

With today's hairballs in the Big Cat's OS, restarting every few weeks is probably a good idea.
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
Ironically, a new release version of WC is announced today. Fortunately, we don't have to re-boot the hardware...  [tup]

You need to stop reading those "Complaints" sites! You know they never have anything good to say, no matter the subject!

Now, go visit the nearest Apple Store (or two), they're offering free Kool-Aid today.

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
Interesting question; thanks for asking. I used to run several months at a time. But these days, I reboot OS X at least monthly, sometimes more frequently, as that seems to eliminate unexpected crashes of one or another application. I always reboot the machine when I download a new version of WeatherCat.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 04:27:59 AM »
I always reboot the machine when I download a new version of WeatherCat.

Me too, Blick. It's like when you move a piece of furniture, you end up sweeping and vacuuming everywhere. Or, if you're already outside and sweaty, and you see a few things you've been putting off, it's time to get after it. Heck, if you're going to have to restart WC, then give it a fresh foundation to work from.

To answer the OP's question, I don't really think about it, but sans power disruption, WC upgrade, and OS X upgrade, it can go months. That rarely happens however, due to the frequency of power disruptions, WC upgrades, and OS X upgrades (but mostly power disruptions). One time, after a prolonged power outage, I was so glad to get power back, after resetting clocks and restarting my 4 UPS's, I forgot to turn on the WC computer before going back to work/play on the main iMac. It was 2 days later before I noticed. I really should let it run a screen saver. Now, it just goes dark.

[cheers1]

I used to be a simple man living a simple life enjoying simple things. That was before I got my first computer, though.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Wisdom for the 21st century (Re: Longest computer up time?)
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 11:26:33 PM »
Dear Herb and WeatherCat disciples of . . . . . Murphy's law!

I used to be a simple man living a simple life enjoying simple things. That was before I got my first computer, though.

Perhaps you will be moved by this quote that can perhaps be attributed to Paul R. Ehrlich:

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."  [lol2]

Why am I getting a sinking feeling about now tuning my car with a computer? . . . . .  :o

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 07:10:44 AM »
Why am I getting a sinking feeling about now tuning my car with a computer? . . . . .  :o

[lol2]

I think you'll be alright, as long as you don't leave the computer in charge while driving. Aaaa? I can see it now?

[smoky effect to start dream sequence]

[Open to Edouard in backseat of classic station wagon]

"Siri! How many time do I have to tell you to not throttle down so hard? You're going to blow the transmission!"

"I'm sorry, Edouard. But I'm trying to retune the engine. I am detecting a slight ping which may be indicating preignition."

"That's not a ping, you idiot! That was the alert sound for that text message I just got!"

"I'm sorry Edouard. Your assumption is invalid. My sensors indicated a distinct ping."

"Yes! Ping is the alert tone!"

[Long pause]

"Would you like me to change the alert tone to Sosumi?"

"Sigh, ? no. Are we there yet?"

[cheers1]
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 08:43:45 AM »
Ha ha ha ha. Chalk another one up for Herb.
Blick

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Computers
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 08:48:42 AM »

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 03:57:41 PM »
dfw, to be fair (to the 'computer') the "human" did deactivate some computer systems so he could demonstrate his superior knowledge and skills... as the company's (ex)test pilot, I think. "You can't make things idiot-proof. There are simply too many idiots around!" Aviate, Navigate, Communicate. It's not a two out of three choice. [banghead]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Computers
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 04:32:37 PM »
 ;) Yeah, I wasn't being completely fair with that video, but it was the first thing I thought of when I heard of connecting computers to vehicles!

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
I wasn't being completely fair
Don't worry, the forums computer will take care of things. Don't worry, the forums computer will take care of things. Don't worry, the forums computer will take care of things. ...will take care of things. ...will take care of things. ...things. Nuthing kan goe rong, Dave.