General Category > General Computing/Macintosh

Longest computer up time?

(1/12) > >>

xairbusdriver:
Maybe should be a Poll? I recently modified a script I use to calculate the "Computer Uptime". I edited out both the Year and Month bits for too different reasons.
1. "Months" are not a fixed size (at least in the Gregorian Calendar), without a lot of calculations about the current "month" and the past ones, plus considering Leap year and monitoring for the centuries and then... It's not impossible, just tedious! But, Hey! This is just a hobby! [lol]
2. How many times have I been able to run any of my computers, without stop, for even close to a year?! [rolleyes2]

So, the question is; What is the longest time you've had a nonstop running computer? Second question might be, who cares?! Apple pretty much guarantees we won't see more than 365 days without at least one shutdown. [rockon]

Steve:
Generally 45-60 days unless Stu is busy making frequent WeatherCat changes. Occasional longer. Usually a restart is due to an OS upgrade, or electrical outage. I remember a 5 month run several years ago, so that may be the longest. I don't really keep track.

elagache:
Dear X-Air, Steve, and WeatherCat endurance runners,

--- Quote from: xairbusdriver on May 29, 2016, 02:46:37 PM ---So, the question is; What is the longest time you've had a nonstop running computer? Second question might be, who cares?! Apple pretty much guarantees we won't see more than 365 days without at least one shutdown. [rockon]
--- End quote ---

When I had a LINUX server, I tried very hard not to restart the computer as this was one of the expectations of a good UNIX system administrator.  Since I never knew if I might land such a job, I tried to run my server as I might be asked to run a companies server.  Under those conditions, a computer can easily run more than one year.

You are correct, Apple seems extremely anxious to make sure none of us ever try that again.  Still, I can run for several months on the house's server.  Right now it is at a modest 64 days:

People who run WeatherCat on a dedicated Mac can rack up really remarkable uptimes.  Before WeatherCat, LWC ran for a think close to a year without being disturbed.

So do honestly answer your question, if you want to solve the problem for yourself - no worries.  However, if you want to create something that you would share with others, yes you should consider long time intervals at achievable. 

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver:
My bad (again!) for not limiting my run time question to at least consumer machines running WC. Who cares about other weather reporting apps?! [lol]

I can easily reinstate the "Years" display, if or when it appears that might be approaching. For now, "Days" should suffice, until we reach OS Z 25.9... [tup] By that time, we may be using UAT (Universal Astrophysical Time).

dfw_pilot:
Sadly, I think WC can run much longer than OS X can while remaining stable.

With today's hairballs in the Big Cat's OS, restarting every few weeks is probably a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version