Author Topic: WeatherCat version of the Atkins ipwx Mobile web template for iPod/iPhone  (Read 39556 times)

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
On the MacWeather forum, Edouard and I updated and modified Todd's (tigers') ipwx_Cam mobile web page template. This included updating the javascript the template pointed to, revising how a webcam image was displayed, and revising the script that detected the iPod or iPhone. I have now revised this template to reflect the change to WeatherCat, and tried writing some documentation.

This template should work with any web template you are using, as long as you are uploading via the Custom Web tab. If there are any suggestions for improving the documentation, let me know.

A zipped archive is attached to this post, below.
Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Wow! Thanks Steve...

Looks excellent and I'll work on implementing this tonight.

I trust there should be no issues with ?F versus ?C and such right?

Thanks,

Jos

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
Thanks Jos,

I'm assuming it should work with whatever units you have set. Sorry it took so long to get to this. I know I promised it some time back...

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

jace

• Storm
    • DW9675
    • ISuffolk62
    • Yoxford weather site.
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2, with Mac USB Data Logger. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, with 8 GB 1033 MHz DDR3 Memory, running Mac OSX Version 10.10.1 (Yosimite).
Hi Steve and Edouard

First of all many thanks to both of you for working on this, looks great.

If anybody was going to have problems it's me. I was using seamonkey to edit the index.html file. It would not save the edit, so tried Microsoft word, it looked as if it had let me paste the mobile script ok, but corrupted the index.html file. Eventually had to load a new web browser editor, although that isn't happy either  ???

My iphone can see the script, as it's trying to load the Mobile edition, my iPad (ver 1) will only load up my normal web page, it is not re-directing with the ipwx.html file  but if I then direct my browser to the ipwx.html file it loads great and seems to work ok. Still can't get my phone to load the page although it is looking at the mobile edition.  [banghead], just sits and reloads constantly until the phone shuts down to save power  [sleep]

Other thing I can't see is the " arrow in a box icon at the bottom of the browser, and select ?Add to Home Screen?. It don't appear to be there.  :'(

It works on the units set in weather cat by the way, so modern countries that use metric units are ok  [bounce]

JC

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
I'm glad you got it mostly working, John!

When we modified the LWC version, we decided that it wasn't as beneficial on the iPad as it was on the iPod and iPhone. The normal web page looked much better on the iPad. If you want to force the iPad to load the mobile version, I'm guessing Edouard could recommend a tweak to do so. My solution was to put a link at the bottom of each web page to go to the mobile version if desired. That's how Android and Windows phone users would have to access it, anyway.

Here's the icon to click to get an app icon on your home screen.

I'm not sure why the mobile version works on your iPad but not the iPhone. Are they the same OS version? You added the script before </head> right? Not after? Maybe it is because you are opening it with Word? If you'd like, zip the index.html file and send it to me in a PM and I'll take a look at it.

Steve

[EDIT] Your site works for me on my iMAc. I'll try the iPhone. http://www.john-carty.com/weather/ipwx.html

[EDIT 2] Found it! You need to move the script up before the </head> tag.

I've modified the instructions in the original post to make this more clear, and included the image of the button for creating the Home Screen icon.
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

JosBaz

• Strong Breeze
    • INBRSON2
    • Weatherstation Son en Breugel, The Netherlands
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Wireless, WeatherCat on Mac OS X 10.13.6
Hi Steve,

Works perfectly for me [tup] and nicely showing the right units.

Many thanks!

Jos

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Steve!! (Re: WeatherCat ipwx Mobile web template)
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:05 AM »
Howdy Steve and WeatherCat fans,  [cat]

I just got around to installing everything and testing it out.  Works Great!!  [tup]

Thanks Steve for taking the time to get this done!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Now if I could only find some time to do the things I've promised!!

tigers

• Gentle Breeze
Glad yall got this working. I still have the original on my website that I modified to account for ios 5. I'm working a new one to incorporate in my ajax template. Once that project is done, I'll see about splitting off the new version for standalone use if it's desired.

The newer libraries for jqtouch are a bit smaller and should make things load a little faster.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Todd,

Take a look at these two thread on the MacWeather forum. One was a fix to Max/Min flipped on the wxi template, and the other was the changes to the mobile template. Edouard accepted for some jqtouch changes.

http://macweather.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=395

http://macweather.net/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=269
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Thanks Todd! (Re: Atkins ipwx Mobile web template)
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:23 AM »
Hi Todd and WeatherCat fans,

Glad yall got this working. I still have the original on my website that I modified to account for ios 5. I'm working a new one to incorporate in my ajax template. Once that project is done, I'll see about splitting off the new version for standalone use if it's desired.

Thanks Todd for taking a look at this too!  [tup]

Sure is amazing, all this work we humans are doing just for a . . . . cat!!  [cat]

P.S. Ya' think that Stu is just an Internet pseudonym for Meg[lol2]

xtommo

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: LaCrosse WS2355 on iMac 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
That would be awesome to incorporate a flashy looking mobile version into the new AJAX templates.

the IPWX was very easy to set up and so is AJAXLINE so you've done well to keep it simple but impressive looking.

The newer libraries for jqtouch are a bit smaller and should make things load a little faster.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Sorry chaps, haven't been keeping up with the templates threads.

When a template is 'complete', I'm 'stickying' them to make them easy to find - is this one suitable for stickying now Steve?

Cheers,
Stu.

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
Hi Stu,

It sounds like it works well for most folks. I don't have the documentation mojo that Edouard has, but it seems to be adequate.

Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Ya' know . . . . (Re: Atkins ipwx Mobile web template)
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2012, 03:14:31 PM »
Howdy Steve, Stu, and WeatherCat fans,

I don't have the documentation mojo that Edouard has . . . .

;) Ya' know . . . . that just might be a good thing!!  [lol2]

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
Ta, stickied.