Author Topic: First Unread  (Read 7377 times)

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
Re: First Unread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2016, 09:27:04 PM »
It was actually pointing down when I looked there. But clicking it makes the "Steve Screen" appear! I think we need to petition Simple Machines to name that pointer for Steve. OTOH, since you're the one who remembered it, they can name it after you! Thanks!! [cheer]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Last check for new posts before departing. (Re: First Unread)
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 10:23:45 PM »
Dear X-Air, Steve, Blick, Randall, and WeatherCat forum power users,

The only similar function here, that I have seen, anyway, is the display of "Today" part of the Unread Posts column.

I use Steve's button to bring up the list of new postings, but I also make a point of returning to the Weather forum home page just to glance over the last few postings.  Since I'm on the West coast and usually check the forum late in the day, usually nobody is also active on the forum at the same time.  Still that isn't always true.  So it is possible I'll reply to something and someone will reply to my reply without me noticing it.  Checking the "Today" section as X-Air suggests is a quick way to make sure I don't miss a posting that occurred just before I moved on to some other duty.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Steve

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW8454
    • KOHAVON11
    • Avon Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless VP2 Plus w/24 hr FARS, Leaf & Soil Station, 2023 Mac mini M2 Pro, 32GB RAM, Mac OS 14, WeatherCat 3.2
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 02:02:58 AM »
Sorry I didn't get back to this, but I see Randall found the show/hide button. Actually, I didn't know where to show it until I started fiddling around, because mine has always been that way by default. I don't know why some of you have it as hidden.

Thanks Randall!
Steve
Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA

CWOP: DW8454 - WU: KOHAVON11 - AWEKAS - CoCoRaHS
PWSweather - WeatherCloud - Twitter - Facebook

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 03:09:53 AM »
It's not actually "hidden", it's simply extremely difficult to see, at least in the default "skin". I think it is white and the color of the box it's in is a very light, blue-grey. Plus, for some reason, the top ~100 pixels of the window is not normally visible; the window automatically scrolls up by about that much. That's my fault! [banghead] The link I had on my personal home page had a few extra characters at the end of the url, "...index.php#c2" That takes one to the "c2" anchor which is the start of the "WeatherCat" section, just below the "News" part. Sekond misteak ov thee yeer! It reelie shud kount az thee last won four MMXV...

It simply isn't easy to see/detect/determine what it's for. In my humble opinion it's a poor design:
1. Very small, unlabeled, non-intuitive symbol
2. Color choice very, very close to surrounding colors, very little contrast
3. Nothing in the Help/explanation from SMF. :)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system