Author Topic: Weather Underground wants to use you for their TV production  (Read 2367 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Weather Underground wants to use you for their TV production
« on: October 10, 2014, 01:37:46 AM »
I just received this email from WU. What do you think?:

Share your weather with the world!

Hey local weather experts!
Are you interested in becoming one of The Weather Channel's Neighborhood Weather Reporters?

Our colleagues at The Weather Channel (TWC) are interested in talking to our PWS owners and pulling their stations' data live on-air when severe weather is passing through their areas. Topics will include: severe weather, winter storms, hurricanes, or even simply discussing changing weather patterns and unusual weather.  In addition to pulling up your PWS data and discussing on-air, they would like to show footage from your webcam.  The webcams can capture great footage of severe weather that would otherwise be missed.

If you are interested, please respond to this email with the following contact information:
-Your preferred email address
-Your Skype username - phone number if no Skype account
-Your Weather Underground station id
-Do you have a webcam on Weather Underground?
Don't have a webcam? Find info on purchasing and installing one here.
Own a webcam, but need to add it to our network? Learn how here.

Besides discussing real-time data at your location, they may also ask some simple follow up questions:
1) How long have you lived in your area?  Has the weather changed or not changed?
2) What is the most surprising data observed at your PWS in recent days/weeks?
3) Does this weather event seem normal or out of the ordinary?
4) How long have you had your PWS? How do you use the data?

The folks at TWC will try to contact you as soon as they are aware severe weather or active weather is approaching your area, which could be either the night before or the morning of.  We understand this is short notice so they will try to give you as much notice as possible.

If you are interested in being one of TWC's Neighborhood Weather Reporters, please let me know and I will gladly forward your contact information to those at The Weather Channel. 

Thanks for your time,
Kari Strenfel
PWS Meteorologist

Copyright ? 2014 Weather Underground, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in to Weather Underground community newsletters.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Howdy Herb and WeatherCat seekers of their proper 15 seconds of fame (or not!)

I also got this email and . . . . . . . Huh??

I suspect that they are more after folks like you in the "active weather belt" of the United States.  I suppose if you have always wanted to be a "ham", this is a good an opportunity as any.  As for me, we have have just about given up on eating "pork" . . . . 

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Weather Underground wants to use you for their TV production
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:07:35 PM »
LOL!

This is me on the Internet.  [sun2]

This is me in real life.  [sweat2]

[lol2]

I haven't answered it yet. I don't mind giving permission to use my WS data on the air. I'm a little less than interested in being seen on the Weather Channel talking about the unusually high straight line winds that blew my roof off.

Not that that's likely to happen.

[lol2]
Herb