Author Topic: Hello from another Aussie, Melbourne, Australia.  (Read 4209 times)

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
Hello from another Aussie, Melbourne, Australia.
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:40:45 AM »
Hi I'm another newbie from the sprawling Metropolis of Melbourne, Australia in the far south eastern reaches of the country. I'm also in the suburbs 30km SE of the city centre. I'm not online as yet and I'm still learning how to use the software which I'm loving compared to the disgraceful software that Davis thinks is suitable to get a mac data logger for my Vantage Vue.

I do have a few questions and recent issues which I'll begin to post in the correct place as soon as I figure my way around in here, but I do know this is the wrong place to post this for now.

The in the last few days I'd been away, I got home, plugged my console in and it downloaded all my data while I was away for 3 days and I did a manual data save because it had been a while. Everything dl'ed and popped up perfectly, my 3 days worth of data appeared neatly right where it should be, but the next day there was a 2 week chunk of May stats just gone. I managed to fix that hole with a manual backup but now I have lost this precious 3 days of record breaking data that my city is experiencing since records began here over 150 years ago  :o looking to now be the warmest May on record. As my city is so sprawled out, the west a has near desert climate while the far east turns into temperate rainforest, so somedays the city and surrounding suburbs can vary up to 15?c mainly in summer due to sea breezes, ask any other Australian the quirks of Melbourne's weather, LOL.

The sad things is, I think my data logger has reset itself which it has never done before and was not told to do so by me unless my manual save caused it the other night. I can see the data stored in the data viewer/editor but don't know how to get it back into my custom graphs.

Nice to meet you all and hope to see you all around.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Hello from another Aussie, Melbourne, Australia.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Welcome aboard,

enjoy the helpful people here - and enjoy WeatherCat!  ;D

Cheers,
Reinhard
Reinhard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 03:52:08 PM »
Sorry to hear about your data and logger problems but welcome to the forum. I think you'll find the people here to be very knowledgable and quite friendly. I have never been to Australia but I have seen a lot of Mel Gibson movies.  ;)
Blick

Randall75

• Storm
  • CWOP-CW6734 WeatherUnderground-KOHNEWAR6
    • CW6734
    • KOHNEWAR6
    • Randy's Weather On The Hill
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.iMac i5 OS High Sierra 10.13.6 8GB Ram, WeatherCat 3,Logitech 9000 Pro Web Cam
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 09:10:51 PM »
Hi tizza
 Welcome to the Cat
Glad you found it and like it
Best Damn Weather Program for the mac

Lots of help here to

cheers

[cheers1]

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Welcome and troubleshooting. (Re: Hello from another Aussie)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 10:43:14 PM »
Dear tizza and WeatherCat welcoming committee,

First, things first, . . . . Welcome to the WeatherCat forum!!

Hi I'm another newbie from the sprawling Metropolis of Melbourne, Australia in the far south eastern reaches of the country. I'm also in the suburbs 30km SE of the city centre. I'm not online as yet and I'm still learning how to use the software which I'm loving compared to the disgraceful software that Davis thinks is suitable to get a mac data logger for my Vantage Vue.

Glad you found WeatherCat and are enjoying it as much as us regulars do!  [tup]

The in the last few days I'd been away, I got home, plugged my console in and it downloaded all my data while I was away for 3 days and I did a manual data save because it had been a while. Everything dl'ed and popped up perfectly, my 3 days worth of data appeared neatly right where it should be, but the next day there was a 2 week chunk of May stats just gone. I managed to fix that hole with a manual backup but now I have lost this precious 3 days of record breaking data that my city is experiencing since records began here over 150 years ago  :o looking to now be the warmest May on record. As my city is so sprawled out, the west a has near desert climate while the far east turns into temperate rainforest, so somedays the city and surrounding suburbs can vary up to 15?c mainly in summer due to sea breezes, ask any other Australian the quirks of Melbourne's weather, LOL.

The sad things is, I think my data logger has reset itself which it has never done before and was not told to do so by me unless my manual save caused it the other night. I can see the data stored in the data viewer/editor but don't know how to get it back into my custom graphs.

Could you explain to us what you mean by a "manual save?"  I wasn't aware of any way to just grab the data from the data logger and store it on your Mac.  As a result, I don't know if that might have cause the data logger to reset or not.

Beyond that you might want to check out our Davis troubleshooting tips on the WeatherCat Wiki:

http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php/Davis

You might find something there that could be the culprit.  I have a faint recollection that the data logger in Davis Vue models doesn't fit as nicely as in the VP-2 models.  You might want to double-check that it is properly seated in the console.

If you have any concerns about the Davis hardware itself, definitely send an email to Davis technical support.  They are very responsive and after all, Davis is a premium station, you deserve good service.

Let us know if we can be of any additional help.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

P.S. Sorry about the record heat  [sweat2] - hope your air conditioner is up to the task!

P.P.S. If you feel up to it, by all means add yourself to our member's map!

http://athena.trixology.com/index.php?action=googlemap

tizza

• Gentle Breeze
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue with no extras, MBPr late 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:30:16 AM »
Thank you all for the warm welcome

I too am extremely happy I found WeatherCat, it's by far the best MAC weather software I trialled before I bought it, far superior than anything.

@elagache thank you  ;D and in regards to your question about a manual backup, it's on the backup page. The option to Backup Now or Restore From Backup. I'll have to check if that action cleared the data logger. It didn't appear to, I've just had some bad luck with things and I have been warned about the data logger in the Vantage Vue which I haven't addressed.

P.S. Also thanks about the lost data, it's Indian Summer weather before we go into winter so it's unseasonable very mild, unlike the hellish heat unleashed on us back in Jan and Feb, now with the chances of El Ni?o becoming a real threat, it looks like we'll have a mild winter and an even worse summer if that's actually possible  :-\.  Where I live El Ni?o can be hell on wheels but the Australian government has finally learnt their lessons over it and talks are underway to start making preparations to begin rationing water now. FINALLY they are listening.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Davis Vantage Vue, MBPr late 2012.
I'm a photographer and have a photography website if you're interested.
http://www.mixed-up-pix.smugmug.com

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Now on the same page! (Re: Hello from another Aussie)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
Dear Paul and WeatherCat fans,

@elagache thank you  ;D and in regards to your question about a manual backup, it's on the backup page.

Oh okay, I didn't understand what you meant by backup and was assuming you had done something to access the data logger directly.  As far as I know, WeatherCat backups don't do anything to the weather station at all.  That's all in the Mac side of things.

I've just had some bad luck with things and I have been warned about the data logger in the Vantage Vue which I haven't addressed.

Not to get you too worried, but we've had one Vantage Vue user have their station fail after a few months.  There are a number of other satisfied Vantage Vue users on this forum, so clearly that was a fluke.  Still, the Vantage Vue is a newer product and Davis has to have made some compromises in order to come up with a less expensive station.  So do keep an eye on your station and definitely bug Davis if you have any problems.

P.S. Also thanks about the lost data, it's Indian Summer weather before we go into winter so it's unseasonable very mild, unlike the hellish heat unleashed on us back in Jan and Feb, now with the chances of El Ni?o becoming a real threat, it looks like we'll have a mild winter and an even worse summer if that's actually possible  :-\.  Where I live El Ni?o can be hell on wheels but the Australian government has finally learnt their lessons over it and talks are underway to start making preparations to begin rationing water now. FINALLY they are listening.

So sorry to hear that El Ni?o brings drought to your part of the world.  In the western part of the United States, El Ni?o brings wetter than normal weather and we desperately need it because right now we are having a very severe drought.  Sure would be nice if we could figure out how to adjust the Earth's thermostat so we all get more normal weather.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

breno

• Gentle Breeze
    • DW5641
    • IQLDCAPA2
    • Capalaba Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 11:50:33 AM »
Hello from Brisbane.  I've had my Vantage Vue since early 2010 and it's never missed a beat.