Author Topic: iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory  (Read 14134 times)

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory
« on: February 14, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
I thought this might be of interest to some of the weather watchers.

Apparently FLIR, the company that makes forward looking infrared target acquisition cameras for the military, is about to enter the consumer infrared camera market. That's real interesting because right now there is no consumer level infrared camera market to speak of. While FLIR has been selling relatively inexpensive infrared cameras in the 1 to 4 thousand dollar range (some professional level camera can reach as high as $16K), the target market has been small business professionals, not consumers.

The FLIR One, $349, available sometime this Spring, will piggyback onto the iPhone 5 or 5s and include software available from the iTunes app store.

A competing product, the Mμ Optics Thermal Imager, is also scheduled for availability late this Spring. Able to piggyback onto an iPhone or an iPad, it is being crowd funded at Indiegogo and can be pre-purchased or reserved for $150.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=29385864
http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=29385952
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 06:03:23 PM »
it is being crowd funded at Indiegogo

The Indiegogo campaign ended 11 months ago. They raised $282,221.

It's a very interesting concept for the price point.

About four years ago I hired a guy who had a top-end infrared camera to come shoot images of the inside of our home. He had a "screen" door gizmo that fit into the opening of our front door, with a large fan imbedded in it. He pulled air out of the home and then shot the images. There was a 30 degree difference in the outside and inside temperatures. His images showed every single place the home was leaking air. We sealed them up, reduced our heating bills and it was totally worth it. It cost me $800 to hire the guy with the camera and it paid for itself in about 3 years.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »
A very wise move indeed, Blick! Especially during the weather extremes of late.

I've been wanting to do something similar here, but here's the deal. I trained with FLIR as a Thermal Imaging Technician while I was working for Abbott Laboratories in Michigan. I just don't have a camera since retiring. I've been shopping for one, but they are quite expensive, and I was sure the price might come down soon. Looks like my wish has come true. Although these cameras are likely not going to be as sophisticated as the high end FLIR models, when it comes to energy efficiency all you need to do is find the leaks and plug them up.

The infrared cameras are also good at finding roof leaks while they are still tiny and otherwise unnoticeable. Scanning the walls and breaker boxes can also help identify undetected wiring issues. Some homes have burned due to improper storage of oily rags and other materials that can generate heat through oxidation. A periodic scan around the home can give peace of mind about such issues.
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Indeed, interesting! (Re: iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 10:16:59 PM »
Dear Herb, Blick, and WeatherCat fans,

I thought this might be of interest to some of the weather watchers.

Apparently FLIR, the company that makes forward looking infrared target acquisition cameras for the military, is about to enter the consumer infrared camera market.
. . . . .

It is interesting, but seemed a little silly without some practical application.  Until . . . . . .

It's a very interesting concept for the price point.

About four years ago I hired a guy who had a top-end infrared camera to come shoot images of the inside of our home. He had a "screen" door gizmo that fit into the opening of our front door, with a large fan imbedded in it. He pulled air out of the home and then shot the images. There was a 30 degree difference in the outside and inside temperatures. His images showed every single place the home was leaking air. We sealed them up, reduced our heating bills and it was totally worth it. It cost me $800 to hire the guy with the camera and it paid for itself in about 3 years.

The infrared cameras are also good at finding roof leaks while they are still tiny and otherwise unnoticeable. Scanning the walls and breaker boxes can also help identify undetected wiring issues. Some homes have burned due to improper storage of oily rags and other materials that can generate heat through oxidation. A periodic scan around the home can give peace of mind about such issues.

Hmm, this could be very interesting indeed.  In addition to the house, it might come in handy if you are exploring the state of insulation or searching for leaks on a classic car.  It does seem a little pricey, but if you have the applications, it might be a wise investment that will pay for itself.

Cheers,Edouard  [cheers1]

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »
I believe it would be handy for troubleshooting wiring issues and leaks in elder statesmen vehicles. Hot spots, cold spots, even warm and cool spots. Each tells a story about something, even if of no consequence.

And if you can see it, as opposed to just having some bit of raw data from a specific point, through imagery you can glean more information than just a number.
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:09:56 PM »
Mr. Winkus:

I have a home security camera system from a FLIR subsidiary (FLIR Security) and they have very good Mac software. I consider them the leader in Mac compatibility in what is mostly a Windows-oriented industry. There's a lot more pre-sales info published by FLIR than by Mμ Optics. I am wondering if you know enough about both of these products to know which one you are leaning towards purchasing? I assume FLIR because of your background.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 06:58:28 AM »

I am wondering if you know enough about both of these products to know which one you are leaning towards purchasing? I assume FLIR because of your background.

Originally I was leaning toward FLIR, simply because I'd not heard of Mμ Optics. But, after looking at their reporting pages on Indiegogo and seeing the progress reports, I was thinking about ponying up the $150 for the "Not So Early Adopters Special." Though, I'm still studying the issue and haven't quite made up my mind.

I looked for some details on the FLIR camera, and was disappointed that the IR camera resolution was not defined. Plus, it appeared they were using a VGA camera for the non IR camera. Nothing wrong with that, except that Apple's got a much better camera built in. I couldn't understand why they would need to add another that wasn't as good. Perhaps there's a benefit to it, but they didn't say. Also, the first FLIR my company sprang for was one of their cheaper IR cameras. I was very disappointed in it. The resolution was very small. It was manual focus, the software was Microsoftian and the camera was a chore to use. I figure, since they still have the high dollar cameras to protect from cannibalization, the performance of the camera was going to be deliberately compromised to some extent, but you wont know it unless you're familiar with what it could be. Mμ Optics will be under no such pressure.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mu-thermal-camera-a-great-tool-to-save-on-energy-costs?c=gallery
http://vimeo.com/user16023256/videos
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
I was thinking about ponying up the $150 for the "Not So Early Adopters Special."

The indiegogo campaign is closed and has been since March 2013. The only option available currently is to pre-order from muoptics.com. However, there is no price posted for pre-ordering. It's just a notification list with no obligation to purchase. I assume based on their indiegogo updates that the actual purchase price for those who did not get in to the indiegogo campaign will be $325.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 07:22:55 PM »
By gosh, you're right! I hadn't noticed that. I did see that the campaign was closed, but I had assumed that they were still taking orders for the specials that hadn't been sold out. ? Silly me!

I put my name in the hat for a pre-order. The price does seem a little undefined at this time. The Campaign Home shows it estimated at $325, but the $300 USD Special indicates $400. The lesser cost specials indicate $325, however. I would presume that $325 is their price target since they need to undercut FLIR's $350. FLIR has the name recognition, even though they will be competing with a product that is limited to the iPhone 5 and 5s. As an investment, the consumer segment for this instrument is pretty iffy, making the investment somewhat risky. If they can prove the market for the product, they may be hoping for a buyout down the road. While neither Apple nor FLIR would be interested, there are many instrumentation consolidators that might pony up when the time comes.
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:40:56 AM »
Herb:

The Flir One accessory for the iPhone gets a mention and some photos in this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2458893/flir-one-first-look-shooting-thermal-imaging-pictures-of-the-new-macbook-pro.html

Looks like they are getting close to release.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 03:33:14 PM »
Thanks, Blick! Looks like it may be out soon. I sort of lost interest in it when I discovered that it will only work on the iPhone 5s. I've got an iPhone 4s and when my contract is out, I'm discontinuing cell service. I'll keep the phone for use as a handheld computer. I really don't need cellular. I rarely even use it. I'm a stay at home kinda guy. I don't travel, and the service is the expensive part of the deal.

A reference to it showed up on Silicon Investor (SI), a stock talk BBS that I frequent. The link provided went to CNN.com. I guess their publicity department is going into overdrive ahead of the launch.

http://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg.aspx?msgid=29641292
Herb

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:42:32 PM »
I sort of lost interest in it when I discovered that it will only work on the iPhone 5s.

Even if you were interested in a mobile phone, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this being tied to the 5s. The next time Apple changes the size of the iPhone (which may be as early as this fall) the Flir One is no longer compatible with the latest phone. I'm not necessarily a fan of the latest and greatest, but I don't like being tied to hardware (or software) that requires me to hang on to some technology that is no longer being manufactured. Of course, this philosophy applies to just about every piece of tech that I own so I spend some of my time wishing I was in charge of the common sense department at some of these companies.

In the meantime, the next time I can't get ahold of you I will remember that you have gone off the cellular grid for some piece and quiet.
Blick

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 04:41:52 PM »
? In the meantime, the next time I can't get ahold of you I will remember that you have gone off the cellular grid for some piece and quiet.

LOL!! It rarely rang anyway. I will miss the FaceTime chats, though. One of my Grandsons, 7 years old, likes to call me on it and play Minecraft Realms with me.

Agree with your stance on dependent technology. FLIR is going to have to get out in front of Apple and anticipate their next move, if they plan on keeping up. Might just be too expensive for them given the niche market they're in. I'm not too impressed with their hardware in this instance. The resolution on the IR sensor is really low, hence the blurry colorization of the hot spots. The problem is, the sensors for uncooled infrared detection are still very expensive to manufacture, mostly due to materials. I don't see it getting cheaper anytime soon, unless some application of graphene provides a cheap substitute. Which is possible, I guess!

Anytime you need me, I'll be there! Need some help moving some boulder off the lawn, I'm your man! I don't have that much muscle, but I know how to hire someone who does.  [biggrin]
Herb

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Hand's free calling handy (Was: iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory)
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 10:28:56 PM »
Howdy Herb, Blick, and WeatherCat technology fans,

I've got an iPhone 4s and when my contract is out, I'm discontinuing cell service. I'll keep the phone for use as a handheld computer. I really don't need cellular. I rarely even use it. I'm a stay at home kinda guy. I don't travel, and the service is the expensive part of the deal.

This is unlikely to change your mind, but just in case you hadn't thought about this angle.  I upgraded the stereo in my trusty wagon to one with Bluetooth so that I could play music from my iPhone.  It even has hand's free calling, but I never got around to testing that before the engine died.

The other cars in the house also had antiquated car stereos, so I ordered some kits from Crutchfield and upgraded all the remaining cars to stereos with Bluetooth.  I've only run some limited tests, but I've been very impressed with the clarity and utility of having the phone available for emergencies.  To avoid any risk of someone other than the family calling while I'm driving, I added this iOS program: Call Bliss:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/call-bliss/id575698521?mt=8

It locks the phone down with the selected exceptions from my address book.

So far the worst emergency has been a call telling that I didn't have pick up my sister from a car repair appointment because they couldn't take the car after all.  Nonetheless the interface between the iPhone and stereo worked perfectly, and these hand's free stereos really do a good job of minimizing the time you need to take your eyes off the road.  Also, it is a nice way to have music in the car.  If you sync your iPhone with iTunes frequently, it is easy to change playlists on your phone and give yourself something fresh to play in the car.

So, just something to think about before your plan expires.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
Re: Hand's free calling handy (Was: iPhone FLIR Camera Accessory)
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 04:36:59 AM »
I upgraded the stereo in my trusty wagon to one with Bluetooth so that I could play music from my iPhone.

Great minds think alike. I did the same thing with my trusty old iPhone 3Gs. Works great.
Blick