Author Topic: Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa  (Read 6235 times)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
My personal favorite memory monitor (Re: 8 Gb isn't much. )
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 11:57:52 PM »
Dear Weatheraardvark, nowait, Felix, and WeatherCat Mac hardware tinkerers (when possible.)

Sure, the memory display utility would be great.

There are a bunch of them and folks using WeatherCat have their favorites.  I hope they will chime in because I've forgotten the alternatives.  The one I use is XRG:

http://www.gauchosoft.com/Products/XRG/

It is free and it doesn't take too much screen real-estate.  As a result, I can have it on every OS X space and check on the health of my computer no matter which application I'm working on.  There are others including some that use the menu bar, therefore using less screen space in a way.  However, what you gain on your screen is lost on your menu bar.  It is one of those things you need to settle on a solution and accept the trade-offs associated with it.

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

Weatheraardvark

• Gale
  • I hear tornado sirens, lets go climb on the roof
    • C0005
    • KIADESMI1
    • Des Moines Weather and Climate
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 Plus, Fars, Extra sensors
Re: Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 01:20:29 AM »
I appreciate the information and thank you.  I am working on weather stats tonight.   I use MS Excel and have for years. The Mac version isn't too much different.  :)
Davis VP2 Plus; 24h  FARS; Extra Temp Humid sensor (2); Extra Temp Station (2);;Weatherlink IP;USB; MAC Ventura 13.3

; https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddablePage/show/8a7585dd06404bde81d5229b09f84ebb/summary

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
Re: Greetings from Des Moines, Iowa
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2016, 05:18:17 PM »
You might also note that, unlike the more expensive iMacs, this one does not use dedicated RAM for graphics memory. This, lifted from Mac Tracker:

Graphics Memory   Up to 1.5 GB shared from main memory

Not to worry, though. I was getting by on 4 GB RAM until just a few months ago with no difficulty at all. Mac OS X, with its Unix underpinnings, can get along swimmingly with limited available memory. It will grab memory space from the hard drive and use it as virtual RAM. The downside is a lower response time. However, 8 GB will do quite nicely. Just remember to use "Quit" from the File menu, instead of just clicking the window closed with the red chiclet. That will clear programs from memory when you're done. (Note that some programs clear when you click the red chiclet, but not all do.)

When I noticed a slowdown on upgrading to Mountain Lion, I upgraded my 2008 iMac's RAM from 4 GB to 6GB, which maxed it out. It quit spooling to HD and performs much better. It is running my WeatherCat, 24/7.

[cheers1]
Herb