Author Topic: Vantage Vue USB problem  (Read 3252 times)

McQ

• Calm
  • Christian, cyclist, ham (kf7mcq), married
    • EW3031
    • KAZSUNCI27
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Vue, Weather Cat, '13 iMac
Vantage Vue USB problem
« on: November 07, 2018, 08:26:11 PM »
I have been running a Davis Vantage Due with the Weather Link Data Logger for about years at this location. The HD on my MAC died last week, requiring a new setup.
Weathercat only offers one port,  "/device/cu.Bluetooth-Incojing-Port" apparently BT, and never locates the Vantage Vue.
I've rebooted the Vantage Vue several different ways, unconnected the USB and tried different ports (they all work) and would be pulling out hair, if I still had any.

I seem to remember having similar trouble when I transferred from a Mac mini to the iMac, but can't seem to find any record of how it was resolved.

I'd appreciate suggestions from those who have successfully worked through similar issues.

Thanks,
Fran
Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Sun City West Sheriff's Posse

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
Re: Vantage Vue USB problem
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:02:16 PM »
This is probably not helpful, but have you tried a power recycle as described here?

https://athena.trixology.com/index.php?topic=2675.0

I know that situation was different from yours but it might be worth a try whilst we are waiting for Edouard to login this afternoon.
Blick

McQ

• Calm
    • EW3031
    • KAZSUNCI27
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply.   [computer]
I saw someone had a problem transmitting to WU and was reading their post. They mentioned that WeatheSnoop worked, so I decided to download WS to try it. When I tried to run it, there was a message that its needed a USB driver (and gave the link) so I downloaded that. After installing the driver, I decided to try WC and lo and behold, there was a new USB port available and it worked!
I didn't expect to have to install any drivers for a program that is written for the Mac OS, but I don't mind.  I wish there had been some such instruction. There was no such mention in the error message when it didn't find the Vantage Vue.
It seems to be running just fine and now I just need to get my WU and CWOP accounts up to date.
God bless!
 [cheers1]
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
WeatherCat has an extensive manual. (Re: Vantage Vue USB problem)
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:29:50 PM »
Dear McQ, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

I didn't expect to have to install any drivers for a program that is written for the Mac OS, but I don't mind.  I wish there had been some such instruction. There was no such mention in the error message when it didn't find the Vantage Vue.
It seems to be running just fine and now I just need to get my WU and CWOP accounts up to date.

I'm glad that you were able to solve your problem.  Just to set the record straight, the WeatherCat manual does mention the need for drivers for Davis stations.  You'll find that information on page 19 of the current WeatherCat manual.  It is an extensive manual, but well worth going though because of all the excellent information contained there-in.

Cheers, Edouard

Blicj11

• Storm
    • EW3808
    • KUTHEBER6
    • Timber Lakes Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus | WeatherLinkIP Data Logger | iMac (2019), 3.6 GHz Intel Core i9, 40 GB RAM, macOS Ventura 13.6 | Sharx SCNC2900 Webcam | WeatherCat 3.3 | Supportive Wife
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 11:06:37 PM »
Glad you are up and running! Not only do you need a driver for that logger, but you likely need to make sure you have the latest vision of that driver as you upgrade your macOS going forward. The only Davis logger that doesn't need a driver is their WeatherLinkIP? Data Logger.
Blick

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »
Glad you're back to collecting Wx data! I was a bit confused by the dialog you got mentioning Bluetooth, there are no BT connections to WC or Davis hardware that I know of! Nor is there any mention of it when I searched the Manual. [computer]
I have been running a Davis Vantage Due with the Weather Link Data Logger for about years at this location. The HD on my MAC died last week, requiring a new setup.
That's probably where the driver you'd been using went; it's still on that dead drive. [banghead] Not sure how long you've been running WC, but it's easy to forget things like that driver which you never really interact with. At my age I often forget...
what was the question?  [rolleyes2] [blush]
That's a big reason why this forum is so useful! ThU32:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

McQ

• Calm
    • EW3031
    • KAZSUNCI27
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful responses. "Read the manual. . . " Who does that? Obviously some people. . .  "page 19" How will remember that the next time I have to effectively start from scratch? Maybe I should put it someplace safe. . .

On a related subject, I've discovered that the station status information that was displayed on WU is no longer there and there doesn't even seem to be a place for it in their setup page.  I presume its continued to show up because my browser was refreshing only the weather data and not the page it appeared on.

Again, thanks to all who replied.
Fran
Cogito, ergo armatum sum

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Weather Underground had "issuez" (Re: Vantage Vue USB problem)
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2018, 09:49:32 PM »
Dear Fran, X-Air, Blick, and WeatherCat troubleshooters,

On a related subject, I've discovered that the station status information that was displayed on WU is no longer there and there doesn't even seem to be a place for it in their setup page.  I presume its continued to show up because my browser was refreshing only the weather data and not the page it appeared on.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure what you are referring to exactly.  I just double-checked my own Weather Underground page and it does have some status information.  It does indicated that rapid-fire is working and when was the time of the last update.  Weather Underground has been having some migration issues this past year, but those problems appear to be mostly gone at this point.

Cheers, Edouard

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 01:13:30 AM »
How will remember that the next time I have to...
Fortunately, we don?t have to remember anything any more! That?s why we have the interweb and search boxes in most apps! [cheer] ThU5:-)
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system