Author Topic: Photography and weather  (Read 11375 times)

wurzelmac

• Storm
    • ITIROLPR2
    • Wetterstation Pr?graten am Gro?venediger
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage PRO2 Plus (24h fan aspirated, wireless) with UV/Solar | Weather Envoy Data Logger | Mac mini 2023 M2 8/256 | 1x Canon EOS 1300D | macOS Sonoma 14.2
Re: Photography and weather
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
Well spoken, xair.

;)

Peace.  [cheers1]
Reinhard

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Dear X-Air, Reinhard, and "victims" of the hard drive and SSD manufacturers association,

Furthermore, I will download, install, and use every single app I see mentioned at this site. If needed, I will consider buying another Mac if I don't have enough room on this one.

[wink] . . . . Purchasing another Mac won't be necessary, just upgrade the hard drive in the one you have!  I get a larger a commission from the hard drive and SSD manufacturers association for retail purchases than when cheap-skate Apple buys another drive! . . . .  [lol2]

I rarely use Finder, so I just checked to discover that Finder does not provide that info with a simple command-i. [rolleyes2] I use PathFinder and it does, I should have known that this is just one more thing that PathFinder does that Finder can't/won't/should. I don't understand why everyone doesn't use PathFinder! :o :P Oh, wait, that?s not my line...

Take heart X-Air, I've been using PathFinder for more years than I care to remember.  Apple has stolen (err, incorporated) many of the features of PathFinder into the Finder, but the Finder still can't hold a candle to the original "industrial-strength" file manager!

Cheers, Edouard  [cheers1]

xairbusdriver

• Storm
    • EW7115 (E7115)
    • KTNGERMA20
    • Mid-South Weather
  • Station Details: Davis VP2 wireless + remote Anemometer/2014 Mac min - 10.15.7/WC 3.0.5
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 12:28:11 AM »
First, thanks for the tip about changing the drive! [tup] Much cheaper for me and a better deal for you! Is that what's called a "Win-Win"? [cheer]

If you've been using PF for so long, perhaps you also used Gregg's Browser back in OS 6, 7, 8 or 9? So far back that no one would have thought of the interweb when you said "browser"! [lol] While the Finder is similar (at least in Column View), Gregg actually copied his app after the Unix file viewer. I 'assume' that's where Apple 'borrowed' their column view, since they claim so much unix heritage. [rockon]
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
  • Station Details: Davis Vantage Pro-2, Mac mini (2018), macOS 10.14.3, WeatherCat 3
Just Path Finder. (Was: Photography and weather)
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:33 PM »
Dear X-Air, and WeatherCat strollers down IT memory lane,

If you've been using PF for so long, perhaps you also used Gregg's Browser back in OS 6, 7, 8 or 9?

Unfortunately I never heard of Gregg's Browser.  I wish I had!  You can live without dual-pane file managers, but it is definitely "goin' about it da' hard way!"  [banghead]

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
  • Station Details: Davis Pro2 Plus
Incoming
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2016, 05:59:29 AM »
Here comes the rain . . .
A clear conscience is a great pillow.

WCDev

• WeatherCat Developer
  • Administrator
  • Storm
    • CW9739
    • ISCOTLAN25
    • Trixology
  • Station Details: Main Station: Vantage Pro-2, 24hr fars, solar, soil/leaf station, extra temp stations, no U.V. WeatherLink IP.
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »
Nice contrast/lighting!

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Great shot dfw! Especially with an iPhone! (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 11:43:59 PM »
Very impressive photo dfw!

Even more impressive that you captured it with your iPhone!

The iPhone has a really great camera, but I have a hard time composing a photo on that small screen compared to the full view you get with an SLR.

Cheers, Edouard

Bull Winkus

• Storm
    • EW0095
    • KARHORSE2
    • WU for Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas
  • Station Details: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro 2, iMac 24"
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2016, 04:36:06 AM »
Sweet shot of your weather station, and as previously stated, great contrast!

Your town has had its share of the wet stuff this year! I'll bet those lakes are all filled up.

[cheers1]
Herb

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
Full Lakes
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:14 AM »
Oh they're full alright! Not as much rain as last year, but it's been a wet year so far.

Thanks for the comments -- the contrast is what makes the photo. I knew the storm was coming and the wall of clouds hadn't yet blocked the final rays of sunlight, so the light and dark play well together.

If the iPhone camera is great for one thing, when nice light that happens for just a minute or two, it's always with you.

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Ain't that the truth! (Re: Full Lakes)
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2016, 11:30:21 PM »
Dear Herb, dfw, and WeatherCat shutterbugs on the go.

If the iPhone camera is great for one thing, when nice light that happens for just a minute or two, it's always with you.

Yes indeed!  I hadn't planned to take any photos of my trusty wagon yesterday, but at the last minute I changed my mind and of course my iPhone was ready to oblige.  I may buy myself a polarizing filter for the iPhone.  Since I wear polarizing sunglasses anyway, if I see something that looks nice with my sunglasses, it would be neat to capture exactly that effect even if I only have my iPhone.

dfw_pilot

• Gale
    • GW3252
    • KTNWILLI1
    • WX Page
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2016, 11:32:07 PM »
Just put your shades in front of the iPhone lens ;)

elagache

• Global Moderator
  • Storm
    • DW3835
    • KCAORIND10
    • Canebas Weather
Want stars in that weather photo? (Re: Photography and weather)
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2016, 11:38:03 PM »
Dear WeatherCat shutterbugs, .  . .

The dry season has arrived and interesting photographs of the weather are hard to come by here in California.  So I've been trying to think of other ways photograph the weather.  Conveniently, Outdoor Photographer has a review of the new Pentax K-1 digital camera:

http://www.outdoorphotographer.com/gear/first-look/pentax-k1-astrophotography-camera.html

According to the review, the camera has a very unique feature (and I quote from the review: )

The new Pentax K-1, the company?s first full-frame digital camera, includes an ingenious system that will eliminate the need to carry extra hardware in order to capture a perfect image of the heavens. Following in the footsteps of the popular APS-C K-3, the K-1 includes a sensor that can shift position in several directions (as well as tilt). The ostensible use for the movable sensor is to reduce blur when shooting long exposures or when the photographer is moving, but combined with the camera?s electric compass and onboard GPS, it means the K-1 can create photographs as tack-sharp as anything that comes from a system mounted to a tracker.

The review includes one impressive photo which was taken by a Pentax camera with the same capability.

Can't live without it?  Well a quick check on the web shows a discounted price of $1,796.95 for the camera body alone.

;) . . . . Ya' know, . . . I think I can live very nicely without this sort of a pricey device! . . . .